Pitching A Script

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, I hate to even ask about all of this stuff... haha..

My big question is how long is a typical pitch supposed to be? Is there some unwritten rule that says 'at least x amount of time but no longer than (insert number)'?

Secondly, you give away the ending, right? I mean, its not about building suspense, its about giving them an idea of what you're story is about, correct?

Also, do you start off by introducing yourself, or do you just go right into the story details?

Any extra pointers would be greatly appreciated. :)

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Small talk first.

A pitch is as long as it needs to be, but I would suggest 10-20 minutes.
And, yes, give them the whole story (the big beats with set pieces) and the ending.

When my partner and I set up a project at Paramount (as producers), we pitched a story that we devised. Because there was no writer attached at the time (she was hired later), we pitched the entire story - down to every little detail. The pitch was about 50 minutes.

There's all sorts of pitching styles, and you should find the one that makes you comfortable.

Here's some suggestions - take 'em or leave 'em. :)

http://twoadverbs.web.aplus.net/sc/index.htm

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info CreativeExec! That link, however, requires me to have a password... other wise I'm not 'authorized' to open the page.

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way, do I start out with a quick over view (almost like a logline, but not quite) before I go into the detail of the story? I thought if I did, then they would have a good idea of where I'm going with the story while I'm fleshing out the details during the rest of the pitch.

For example, if I start off saying "The Trip To Euphoria is about a teenage suburban drug addict who embarks on a dangerous cross country journey from Missouri to the California coast, searching for a fabled drug haven." There's kind of my mini synopsis for the entire story, and I assumed that introducing the main plot up front would be the best intro, rather than start out with "So there's this chick and her three friends hangin out in her bedroom in the upscale part of town, smoking more pot than you can shake a stick at..." and so forth.

Arg! I'm over thinking it, aren't I? >_<

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks for the info CreativeExec! That link, however, requires me to have a password... other wise I'm not 'authorized' to open the page.

Sorry.

I would suggest you sign-up for the site. Simply e-mail the webmaster from the homepage. There's a great "forum" on 2A with a lot of very useful info. And it won't cost you anything.

:)

Yes, absolutely start off with the genre and logline. It provides a road map for the pitch. It helps orient the listener. :)

JulieJames

boldly going nowhere...
Registered
Reaction score
When I was doing some pitching last time, I got a lot of people asking "What movie is my movie like"

as in.... Forrest Gump meets thelma and Louise.... just a sugestion that wasn't my actualy movie tho.... gosh that'd be a weird one! LOL

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Creative! :)

Julie James, I've always heard that saying "my movie is like ____ meets ____" is a big no no. I was kind of wanting to avoid that.

Can anyone vouch for whether or not that is something to avoid?

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't think it's a no-no.

I work in an environment that sells scripts - and hybrids are used all the time. If the biggest talent agencies in the world do it to sell scripts, I think it can be a useful tool for a writer also.

I think you have to be wise in choosing the hybrid, however. You don't want to pick movies that bombed at the box-office or that no one ever heard of.

A bad hybrid might be it's PLUTO NASH meets EUROPA, EUROPA.

On the other hand, I read a script the other day that was pitched to me as: a sci-fi actioner that's INDEPENDENCE DAY meets GROUNDHOG DAY. That piqued my interest.

While you run the risk of naming a successful movie that the exec didn't like, IMO, a well conceived hybrid outweighs any of the potential cons.

But, in the end, do what makes you comfortable.

:)

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard x meets y is both a no-no and a must-do. It seems to really depend who you are dealing with. I'd have one ready just in case they ask or in case you feel it'd help. Because it does clarify concept and target audience pretty quickly, among other things.

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll probably get mixed opinions on this question. Having never pitched a script before I can not speak from experience, only research.

I think alot of it is feel. Try and get a read on the person you are pitching to. Are they tired from hearing never ending worthless scripts all day? If so you may want to keep your pitch short and to the point. So you will need something to wake them from their slumber.

Are they relaxed and don't seem to be in a hurry to pass you by. Then take a little longer. Throw in a couple things that you may have not told them otherwise but helps pull them in a little more.

If you are planning on pitching at the screenwriters expo then I would say keep them short. I think you are only allotted 3-5 mins anyways. Also if someone ahead of you cuts into your time then you have that much less time.

My research more often then not says to keep your pitch short and sweet and NEVER EVER tell them the end. Your pitch should entice the listener to want to know more and have them begging to know just how it ends so they have to ask you for a copy.

You should also practice pitching your story repeatedly to family, friends, to yourself in a mirror or anyone that will listen so you don't stumble through it. Practice doesn't mean just a few times but for months, down to an art. Know what you are going to say and when. Be able to quickly adjust and answer any questions. ALWAYS be prepared to answer the question "What else do you have?"

If you have nothing else then it's certainly going to be much harder but NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

If they ask you to compare your script to a movie then think low budget blockbuster. You may be pitching to someone that represents a company that isn't out to make a 50-100mil dollar movie.

You should also know who you are pitching to prior to going into it. The screenwriting expo will list what production companies are there and exactly what they are looking for and sometimes budget size.

Dress appropriately. These are business people with money behind them or at least someone that is representing money. It's a business and you have to sell.

Like I said, I haven't pitched because I don't think I have enough material to answer the "What else do you have question?" yet. But I have researched plenty on it.

Peace, Love, Joy and Happy Holidays!
Jerm

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I think it depends. If you're taking a general meeting where you're going to be letting producers know what you're working on, I'd say keep them down to five/ten minutes max. If you're just trying to spark an interest, a producer is going to know within the first minute of your pitch whether or not it's something they'd be interested in and it does nobody any good to labour through long pitches at that stage.

But, if they've read something about it, there's already interest and they've invited you in to tell them more about it, that's when you should up your pitch to about twenty minutes and should go over the beats and major story points like others have said.

If you hit a wall, the producer stops you, says they're developing something similar etc then move on to the next one. Make sure you have more pitches than you're expecting to have to talk about just in case.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
If you can pique someone's interest in a very short timeframe they'll either say 'tell me more - have you got time for lunch/coffee etc' or simply say 'get the script to me.' By short I mean 30 seconds to 3 minutes. If they say 'what else have you got?' it means they didn't like it.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I have never 'pitched' a script but I do all manners of negotiations and presentations.

My suggestion is that you have several different versions of the pitch that you are well familiar with.

And you let your audience and situation be your guide.

Also, practice and work out the art of making things sound interesting, but not amatuerish. I think that goes back to knowing your audience.

I think knowing your audience is huge. What are their needs, what recent failures and successes have they had? What are their interests? What are they pushing for?

You would not believe how many battles are won and lost before they even start.

Good luck

Mel....

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
So much useful information! Huge thanks for all of the advice folks! ^_^

Taelord

Registered
Reaction score
Not to intrude on your thread Gopher, bu I keep hearing people talk about the question "What else have you got". Does that mean that when you go to pitch a story you are supposed to have multiple stories available? I don't quite understand the question.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Not to intrude on your thread Gopher, bu I keep hearing people talk about the question "What else have you got". Does that mean that when you go to pitch a story you are supposed to have multiple stories available? I don't quite understand the question.

Yes :)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score

Two things (maybe more).

1) They like something about your idea or you, but this particular idea will not work (market is saturated with slasher films, they just released a similar story that flopped, etc) and so when they ask "what else have you got" they want to give you another shot at something.

2) They want to see if you are a one trick pony? Sometimes you are only as good as your next idea, so if you have no next idea, you are kinda a poor investment. Kinda like a one-hit wonder. Do I want to sign a group that has one really great song and nothing else? Or do I want to sign a group that has several great songs and some depth?

3) They want to see if you've thought beyond your idea. A part two, sequel, series, etc.

Those are the reasons that come to the top of my head.

I think what we as struggling writers need to understand is that it is not all about that one great idea. It is a business decision. Do you want to get in bed with a one-trick pony (no pun intended :) ) Or do you want someone who is a good investment for the long term.

Mel...

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score

What it means to me is a few things.

1 - It's potentially a way to weed out new writers. Maybe the person isn't interested in an inexperienced writer and meerly uses the question to easily spot new writers and free up their valuable time.

2 - Possibly means they didn't like your story you just pitched but they are willinging to hear one more idea.

3 - Possibly means they liked your story and are interested in more of your stories.

Just my 2¢'s...