AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: AW's Day of Listening - Interviews Thread

Threaded View

Eskimo1990 interviews thethinker42

One your profile it said something about being a military wife. How is it being married to a military man? And do you get to see your husband everyday? Or do you only get to see him a couple of times a year?
    It has its ups and downs. We're completely at the mercy of the military as far as where we live, when he works, etc., but really, I like this life. It has a lot of perks (wicked cheap travel, ability to live overseas, tuition assistance for both of us, free health insurance, etc), but it's got its drawbacks. He's been on 2 deployments since we've been married (6 mos and 8 mos in 6 years), plus numerous separations for school, things like that. It's not bad though; I'm fiercely independent and like to have some "me" time, so we manage fine.

What do you write?

Novels, occasional RARE short story. Mostly fantasy, but I seem to be on a romance kick lately. Also a little bit of SF, horror, and a vampire novel I swore I'd never write.

If money wasn't a problem where would you travel?
    If I could only pick one place, probably Ireland. My family came to the States from Galway, so it would be interesting to visit.

Same concept, where would you live?
    That's a tough one...off the top of my head I'd say Hawaii or Guam simply because I'm LOVING this island living thing.

What is your greatest accomplishment?

Finishing 3 first drafts in 6 months.

Love or money?
    Love. Definitely. I married a sailor, so it wasn't about the money. LOL.

What is the hardest thing for you about writing?
    Not writing when I want to write...and writing when I don't want to write.

What is one piece of advice that you would offer to my generation?
    The 12 years after graduation go a hell of a lot faster than the 12 years before graduation: don't piss them away.

Who is your absolute favorite author and why?
    It changes on a weekly basis, but today I'd say Stephen King. I'm not always fond of his stories per se, and some of his writing is "blah"...BUT...he pulls no punches and makes no apologies for what and how he writes. As a writer, I admire that.

What is your absolute favorite movie and why?
    Oh man...*thinks* Probably "The Shawshank Redemption", closely followed by "Walk The Line", "The Usual Suspects", and "Debbie Does Dallas".

(kidding about the last one)

Where is your favorite place to visit and why?
    Tough call...right now, I would say the shark/ray tank at the aquarium here in Okinawa. There's something incredibly peaceful and amazing about sitting beside this GIANT tank and watching whale sharks/manta rays. I know, kind of a cheesy "little" thing, but that thing is just so fucking cool. It's like crack, with fish in it.

As a child, what did you dream about becoming?

A writer. Hands down, no question.

What is your dream job?
    Exactly what I'm doing now: Writing. I'm not getting paid yet, but I'm writing full time. The pay will come later when I get published, but for now, my "job" is to write.

What is your favorite computer game and why?
    Age of Empires II, Conquerors Edition. I just love it: building up a civilization and pwning everyone else.

Who is your role model and why?

Not sure I have one, per se. I look up to a lot of different people...my folks, various writers, etc.

What is it like living in a foreign country?
    Foreign. I've only been here a month, so I'm still getting the hang of it...it's definitely a switch. Driving on the other side of the road, not being able to read most signs, different customs, etc. But I like it.

Who is your favorite actor and why?
    Colin Farrell or Jared Leto. Better yet, Colin Farrell AND Jared Leto. Preferably...nevermind.

They're both hot, but I do rather like them both AS ACTORS too. They've both played some incredible roles and played them well.

Who is your favorite actress and why?
    Angelina Jolie or Natalie Dormer. Hot, amazing actresses, hot, etc.

Do you know any Japanese?
    VERY little. I'm learning, though. Enough to keep from insulting someone, but....damn. I used to be tourist-fluent in Spanish and Russian, but fat lot of good that's doing me HERE.

Where is one place you've always wanted to visit but haven't?
    Komodo. I want to go to Komodo and see Komodo dragons in the wild. Why? Because they're badass.

Last edited by Eskimo1990; 12-19-2008 at 08:31 PM.