What was it like moving to Mexico?

Hectic. We found out we were moving three days before we got on a plane. My husband's mother was dying and he hadn't seen her in twelve years so we knew we had to go. We also knew that by going, he wouldn't be able to return because he was there illegally. We flew to Mexico on New Years Eve and I stayed with him for one week, then returned to Chicago to shut down our lives. I quit my job, subleased our apartment, sold a car, battled passport problems, plus many many other things.

My mother-in-law died the week after I left Mexico and it was frustrating not being there for my husband. We'd only been married for four months at that point and spent two very long months apart. In March my dad and I drove my car (stuffed with as many belongings that would fit) from Michigan to Mexico and he stayed for a couple weeks while I got settled.

We lived with his family for three months in a house with no running water and many other people. We shared a twin bed in a room without a door, in a town where no one - including my family - spoke English. That was very hard. The town we're in now is more touristy so while my Spanish has improved, there are people who speak English. It's been a challenge for sure, but I've grown immensely because of it.

Do you know enough Spanish to get by?

I was fluent in high school then minored in Spanish in college, so the language is there in my head, I just have trouble getting it to come out sometimes. I understand better than I speak, but most people say I speak well enough.

Will you and your husband ever be able to move back to America?

We are currently waiting for the Department of Homeland Security to approve or deny his visa application. We were supposed to find out this winter, but now it's been pushed back to this spring (March-May). Depending on the verdict, we will return to Chicago or apply for visas to Canada. We don't want to stay here in Mexico.

If you could, would you want to move back to America or stay in Mexico?

lol, see above. Mexico is a wonderful country and I'm glad we've had this experience, but I'm ready to go back to the "real" world, as I call it. If we can't return to the US we'll try Canada.

What is your favorite kind of writing?

I tend to read mostly mainstream/literary books or mystery/suspense, but I like the occasional chick lit or historical fiction. I do like memoirs and read a lot of health-type magazines. And I'm addicted to pop culture. I recently bought my first vampire book (Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles) and I picked up Twilight, but I've yet to read either.

What is your biggest accomplishment?

I'd say making it on my own as an adult. My parents helped me a lot through college and I'm grateful for that, but being able to get a job and an apartment in a city where no one knew me was quite an achievement. I worked as an graphic designer/art director for over ten years before quitting to move to Mexico.

As a child, what did you dream about becoming?

An artist.

Love or money?

Well, seeing how I quit my job to follow my husband to Mexico where we now have very little money, I think that's obvious.

Is it tough living in a different country?

Yes. There are a multitude of things that are different from my old life, but that doesn't mean they are all bad. Mexico certainly has backwards ways of doing things, but there are also systems in place that I think would be useful in the US (the way they sell gas, water, and handle trash pickup, for instance).

The hardest thing for me has been being away from my friends and family back home. We haven't made many friends here and because I'm a very social person, it's hard sometimes. I'm very grateful for all my online friends - they really help me get through day-to-day life.

If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

First choice, Chicago. Beyond that, Spain or Italy.

What is one piece of advice that you could offer to my generation?

When you get out of school you'll be starting over with a clean slate, don't get too wrapped up in the little things now. They will have little to do with who you are as an adult.

What is the hardest part about writing for you?

Sitting down to do it. Once I get going it usually flows for me. (I'm supposed to be writing right now.)

What is your absolute writing goal?

Being published, hopefully many times.

What is your absolute favorite move, and why?

There are so many. Probably Moulin Rouge. I love the story, the directing, the singing, the actors...

What is your absolute favorite book, and why?

Again, too many. I've been saying Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Her memoir spoke to me at a time when I was floundering and helped me see the the good things in life.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why?

Abolish racism/bigotry and all the behaviors that go along with it.

What is one material thing you could not live without?

Lately, my computer.

What is one thing you would take with you on a deserted island and why?

A fully loaded Kindle.

What did you major in when you went to college?

Mass Communications with a concentration in Visual Communications.

When you lived in Michigan, what was your favorite part about living there?

Nature. I love outdoor sports and everything you can door outside in the different seasons.