AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: AW's Day of Listening - Interviews Thread

Threaded View

Thanks, special friend for my avi! AW's Treasured Chocolate Birthday Lady Susie's Avatar
    Though I don’t know why anyone would care to interview me I’m willing to go along. Some of the Mods said something about ‘playing ball’ and I got the drift. I’m only doing this because you’re so nice Suzie, how could I refuse? Well, that and the Mods not so subtle suggestion. Hope you have a lot of space this is likely to get long. So here we are and I see you brought chocolate; thanks. Ask away.

I am glad to have brad's answers from my interview. They're really interesting. Thx much, brad.

1. What is your favorite genre to write in and why?

I read most everything, from history and non-fiction to SF and Fantasy. I love poetry and have a few poems – lost a bunch in the great computer crash of ‘07’. Lucky for me I’d posted in a poetry forum and was able to go back and retrieve some of them; taught me a lesson in backing up stuff up on disc.

My WIP is mainstream/adventure fiction I guess you can call it. I like writing about the world we live in and I’ve been working on the WIP for years. It wasn’t until I interviewed this guy online who belonged to an organization whose purpose doesn’t necessarily involve freedom of choice that I knew I’d found the antagonists for the story. That was back in 2001 or ’02. After that I scrapped the first idea for the book and rewrote it. It’s finished but needs extensive editing.

2. What don't we know about you?

That’s a good question. Next. Just kidding. I’ve probably told a lot of it in the posts at AW - I’m pretty open about my life. I’m a firm believer in God and his love for us through Jesus. It’s what makes life bearable and gives me assurance that even in the darkest times we have hope. I’m not into religion by any means. Religion was something man dreamed up to keep people in bondage. The Pharisees of Jesus time is a good example – rules laid out based on Biblical principles to give them power over others. Knowing God isn’t about religion, it’s about a personal walk with God. Spending time with Him gives me great comfort, especially in these times of economic uncertainty. The financial crunch put a damper on business for now but God is seeing me through.

I’m in my 50’s and have yet to marry. Yeh, I know, to some that’s a stigma and others say I’m smart for not going that route. I watched some of my friends and both my brothers marry and divorce - that hurts a lot of people. I didn’t want to go down that road until I was certain. Besides, when I was younger I drank a lot and did pretty much anything that came down the pike. How could I offer that to a woman? I knew I wasn’t ready for a stable relationship. I stopped drinking and all that years ago; the best years of my life have been the sober ones. Maybe someday I’ll find someone, until then I just work on developing those talents with which God blessed me. He’s given me a lot of those, some of which are posted in my profile.

I am involved in my neighborhood group and sit on the executive board that is the umbrella organization that coordinates all the neighborhood groups. I’m also the Disaster Preparedness Coordinator for the neighborhoods and work with city and county disaster teams in case of emergency. We’ve put together an extensive neighborhood plan and hope to implement it city-wide. Some towns close by are also interested and I’m working on a booklet to distribute with that in mind.

3. Do you own any pets, what kind?

You know everything you’ve asked me means you have to listen to my stories, and of course one comes with this. Through most of my life I’ve had dogs – love’em - and I’ve had many. I thought cats were aloof and unlovable, until one crawled under a house I used to live in and started meowing. I dropped down a heating duct and put out food and water, didn’t want the darn thing to die down there. Long story short, she moved in and I’ve gotten along with cats ever since.

I have six cats. Now don’t think I’m that crazy cat-man down the street. This wasn’t all my own doing. I had a girlfriend who had four cats. She moved to Wisconsin and couldn’t take them with her so, me being a pushover, I volunteered to take them in. By then I had two of my own and now I’m that recluse bachelor monk living down the street with cats. Yeh, six cats is a lot and they are a handful, but I’ve grown to love them. I just love animals in general. I’ve had so many animals, including fish and a guinea pig, over the years and each one I lose hurts, but they’re good company. I’ve also become rather proficient in kitty herding when they mess up – round-up time to the basement. They forgive me.

4. Where would you like to be in five years with your writing?

You mean if the earth is still around as is? The Mayan calendar ends in December, 2012, and everyone knows that’s a pretty darn good indication the world will end. But I digress. I want to be writing full-time by then. After I get my WIP published, which will happen because the people who’ve read it says it’s great. We all know that with that as a recommendation on the book cover it’s bound to be successful. “Read this book because all of Brad’s friends love it! – Weekly Rag and Litter Box Liner -. How could that go wrong? I have the next book in mind and see a series in it. I’d also like to try my hand in other genres. I’m a history buff and wouldn’t mind doing historical fiction and basically write however God moves me.

5. How often do you write?

I try to write every day. It’s not hard in winter when business is slack, more so now with the financial crunch and everyone sitting on their money. When business is going good I don’t have as much time and am usually pretty tired when I get home. BOC (butt on couch) sounds better then than BICFOK (butt in chair fingers on keyboard). I’ve decided to make more effort writing and have several writing projects in the works; the aforementioned booklet on Disaster Preparedness and a monthly column in our neighborhood newsletter. Being around AW gives other ideas, as well.

6. Do you have any trouble finishing what you write?

It depends. Working on my WIP has been a long process, but when I got near the end I wrote almost non-stop. If the words are flowing I never want to stop the river. Now that it’s time to edit, the hardest part of writing, I’ve drawn back a little to let things I’ve learned at AW settle in. The feedback is great and has shown me a lot of weaknesses, mainly because I need to cut a 200,000 word book at least in half. I can be wordy as this interview is pointing out in a grand manner. Usually when I write I finish, an unfinished writing project is like a burr under my saddle. If I don’t work on it for awhile it looks at me pathetically like those things do, accusing me of being a slacker. Kind of like the Disaster Preparedness book is doing now.

7. Did you have a dream that came true for you?

Sure, but most of them have to do with personal development; those intangible things to better oneself that come on slowly over time as God works in us. The good thing about dreams is it gives us something to work toward, and when we realize one another rises. I have several now and time will tell.

8. How did you find AW?

Quite by accident. I was looking for agents since I’d completed my WIP and thought it time to get the publishing process in motion. AW popped up on one of those ‘Writer Beware’ posts and I followed the link. I started exploring the site and realized I had a lot yet to learn and do before thinking of looking for an agent. I joined and the rest is history.

9. What television shows do you like to watch?

I spend a lot of time listening to the news. Current events are an interest because it’s about the world we live in and my WIP has a lot to do with that. Fictionalizing the world today, I believe, helps to point out the inadequacies of politics and government, social values, and everyday things that affect our lives.

I also watch the History and Science channels on satellite TV. It helps to understand technology and what helped to shape modern times; important factors in the writing world. To relax I watch Sci-Fi, Fantasy, comedies and other shows of that nature; it helps expand imagination. I stay away from reality shows, they’re anything but reality.

10. Who is your favorite actor?

I don’t have any real favorite. Hollywood has gone downhill a lot. Most of what Hollywood has to offer these days is pure garbage, though once in awhile they surprise me. The best actors, as a whole, are the ones who were around as the industry grew. The actors I don’t care for are the ones who get in front of a camera expounding their lop-sided view of politics, thinking real people actually care about their opinion. It’s obvious they haven’t done research on their own or believe whatever it is the Hollywood crowd thinks is in vogue. Most are too liberal and their philosophies are based more on self than caring about others. I won’t go into far-left liberal views, I could write for days.

If I had to pick one I would say Paul Newman. I like most of his movies and his personal life reflected the goodness in his heart – a rare thing in Hollywood today.

11. What movie do you love the most?

I like a lot of movies and have quite a library of DVD’s and tapes. Yes, I still have VHS and a DVD player that handles both. Two come to mind as being personal favorites. One is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy - expanded version. Pete Jackson did a great job on that and I’m a special effects kind of guy. Though impossible to put Tokien’s LoTR in three movies, he did alright and came close to sticking with the original story.

The other is a Robert Redford movie, Jeremiah Johnson, about a guy who moves to the mountains because he’s jaded by life below to become a trapper back in the 1800’s, when America began expanding westward. I have a VHS of it and watch it sometimes. I’m amazed by the people of that time willing to undergo hardship to seek out a dream. We’ve become a somewhat complacent society in many respects and today not many are willing to take risks like Jeremiah did. It’s a good life-lesson movie.

Is that it? It didn't hurt much. May I please have some chocolate now?

Yes, you may.
    http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=124401
    Last edited by Susie; 01-06-2009 at 09:32 AM.