AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: AW's Day of Listening - Interviews Thread

Threaded View

quickWit

quickWit

Tell us about your avatar.
    For months when I first joined AW I would change my avatar every week or so, using scenes from movies I liked for the most part. Somewhere along the line I became aware of Happy Bunny (which is the bunny in my avatar) and I started using a number of those. It just kind of stuck after a while.

Tell us a bit about yourself. (Career? Married? Single? Children? Pets?)
    I work as a Systems Manager for a small engineering firm. (Basically, I’m a computer guy). I’ve been working in the civil/environmental industry since graduating high school. I’m very happily married (20 years next May), and my wife and I have 2 kids – a girl (13) and a boy (10).

What part of the world do you live in?
    I live in the southern coastal region of New Jersey. My mom, sister and I moved south from north Jersey when my parents divorced about 30 years ago and I've lived in the region ever since.

What was your least favorite job?
    The worst job I ever had was as a change-maker at an arcade on the boardwalk. I worked there 1 day, then called in sick 10 minutes before I was supposed to show up the next time and never went back. (Hey, I was 16. Sue me).

If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would it be and why?
    Hawaii. A reason? It’s HAWAII. Do I need more of a reason than that? I’ve always wanted to go and haven’t gotten there yet.

What is your favorite kind of music/band? Why?
    I like lots of music really, but these days, if I had to choose one kind I’d say Alternative. I like the energy of it. But, if I had to pick a favorite band I’d say Metallica, but Metallica from the 80’s – 90’s.

What is your favorite word?
    It’s a toss-up between noble and poetic.

What is your favorite book and why?
    I’d have to say The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien. I read it as a teenager, again in my twenties and again a few years ago. It’s one of the few novels I’ve re-read. I think, more than anything, I’m awestruck by the sheer magnitude of the work. It’s an amazing example of bringing a setting and characters to life. Monsters, maidens, and a good sword fight or two always help as well.

What do you write? Novels, shorts, non-fic? And what genre?
    The real answer to this question is "I'm not sure yet", but at the present time I'm working on a novel. I'm still in the early planning stages, which for me is the most enjoyable part. I love doing research, especially historical research. My current WIP is about a crime in 1773 Pennsylvania and the ensuing trial. What genre would that be?

What are your writing habits?
    Unfortunately, my most consistent writing habit is finding reasons not to write. I don't have a set schedule or page count. I generally squeeze in what I can when I can and hope to make some progress. With this latest project I've been working mostly at night after my wife and kids have gone to bed, and during lulls at the office.

What are your goals as a writer?
    Right now, my goal is to finish one blessed thing I start. It’s a terrible character flaw, but I never seem to finish anything I start to write. The idea I’m working on now I think is a good one, and I’m doing a bit of research and outlining to get the story mapped out. Hopefully it’ll have enough juice to keep me interested long enough to finish it.

When did you join AW and what do you remember about joining then?
    I joined in December of last year. What do I remember? I remember a crazy Christmas party thread, a crazy gift exchange thread, waking up in the middle of the night and feeling the urge to go downstairs and log on. Discovering people whom I thought were hysterical and finding later that I was right. Oh, and Murray from accounting. I remember him.

What is your favorite AW thread? Why?
    Oh, that’s a toss-up between the Comedy Cabaret and the Bologna and Cream Cheese Burrito Cantina. I love the people there, I love the banter. It’s awesomely awesome.

What is your favorite AW moment?

My favorite moment for me personally was very early after joining about a year ago. I’d been posting for a short time, not more than a couple of weeks, when a thread was started about newbies. It was something along the lines of “Which newbies are memorable/have made an impact this year”. In this thread, Silver King made a post saying that he appreciated my sense of humor, which a number of people responded to in kind. That meant a lot to me.

Following is a sample of quickWit’s writing:
    This is not from my current WIP, but from an unfinished MS I was working on last year.

“Margaret Meehan had been with Dr. Leslie almost as long as he’d been an ME. At 56 years old, her grandmotherly appearance belied a stern, no nonsense demeanor. She was notoriously blunt, exceedingly competent and fiercely loyal to Dr. Leslie. Standing just over five feet tall, it had been observed by some that she resembled a tomato perched atop a pair of toothpicks. Her ample frame occupied the majority of the hallway making it necessary for visitors to walk a pace behind her, which was precisely the way Ms. Meehan liked it.”
    Last edited by vixey; 12-14-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    Vixey

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.-Dr. Seuss

"Thank God for fingers and muses. Writing is like singing the blues on a laptop."-cwj