The Times Online says: this is not a mere economic downturn, this is the End of Days

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
It's "only" an editorial. But here's what this fine English fellow has to say:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article5292547.ece

Vauxhall Insignia 2.8 V6
An adequate way to drive to hell

by Jeremy Clarkson

From The Sunday Times -- December 7, 2008

I was in Dublin last weekend, and had a very real sense I’d been invited to the last days of the Roman empire.... Everyone appeared to be drunk on naked hedonism. I’ve never seen so much jus being drizzled onto so many improbable things, none of which was potted herring. It was like Barcelona but with beer. And as I careered from bar to bar all I could think was: “Jesus. Can’t they see what’s coming?” .... Can they not see the financial meteorite coming?

[...]

It’s the same story on this side of the Irish Sea, of course. We’re all still plunging hither and thither, guzzling wine and wondering what preposterously expensive electronic toys the children will want to smash on Christmas morning this year. We can’t see the meteorite coming either.

I think mainly this is because the government is not telling us the truth. It’s painting Gordon Brown as a global economic messiah and fiddling about with Vat, pretending that the coming recession will be bad. But that it can deal with it.

I don’t think it can. I have spoken to a couple of pretty senior bankers in the past couple of weeks and their story is rather different. They don’t refer to the looming problems as being like 1992 or even 1929. They talk about a total financial meltdown. They talk about the End of Days.

[...]

It is impossible for someone who scored a U in his economics A-level to grapple with the consequences of all this but I’m told that in simple terms money will cease to function as a meaningful commodity.

I've always wanted to be a first hand witness to a ... nah, I take it back. I've never wanted that.

If anything, I've always wanted to successfully learn from the mistakes made by our forebears of the past, and then prepare myself for the worst possible scenario capable of unfolding in the future so that I could ride it out with ease. But life seems to have beaten me to the punch. Prepared I most certainly am NOT.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the only usefulness that could be served by the "end of days"/"we're doomed" crowd would be if they all arranged to assemble and jump off a cliff together.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
the only usefulness that could be served by the "end of days"/"we're doomed" crowd would be if they all arranged to assemble and jump off a cliff together.

Bravo. Of course, they would land on the idiots who jumped on Dec 31/99.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or does every clown who preaches the End Times usually end up asking for money from people before it's all over? I wonder how long before these clowns start doing that.

"The world is going to end, so you'd may as well let us hold onto your money, you wont' be needing it."

Part of me wants to condemn people who do this but at the same time, if you can fin idiots dumb enough to fork over their money, said idiots really don't deserve said money anyway.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t think it can. I have spoken to a couple of pretty senior bankers in the past couple of weeks and their story is rather different. They don’t refer to the looming problems as being like 1992 or even 1929. They talk about a total financial meltdown. They talk about the End of Days.

Maybe the ugly senior bankers know something the pretty ones don't. ;)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Is it just me or does every clown who preaches the End Times usually end up asking for money from people before it's all over? I wonder how long before these clowns start doing that.

"The world is going to end, so you'd may as well let us hold onto your money, you wont' be needing it."

Part of me wants to condemn people who do this but at the same time, if you can fin idiots dumb enough to fork over their money, said idiots really don't deserve said money anyway.
Really, the best idea would probably be for you and everyone else to give me all your money, so I can help protect it from these kinds of hucksters. It's awful, the way some will prey on others...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone appeared to be drunk on naked hedonism. I’ve never seen so much jus being drizzled onto so many improbable things, none of which was potted herring. It was like Barcelona but with beer. And as I careered from bar to bar all I could think was: “Jesus. Can’t they see what’s coming?” .... Can they not see the financial meteorite coming?

Uhh . . . maybe they can.

WHO WANTS TO BE SOBER DURING THE END OF DAYS???

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
If anything, I've always wanted to successfully learn from the mistakes made by our forebears of the past, and then prepare myself for the worst possible scenario capable of unfolding in the future so that I could ride it out with ease. But life seems to have beaten me to the punch. Prepared I most certainly am NOT.

Don't worry Plot, trade will flourish regardless what happens to the dollar or any other currency. The same principles that apply to successful trade now, will apply in the future.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna party like it's 1999.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Sulong. it's not the End of Days for most of us. Now, for bigwig finance bankers? That's another story ....

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
Read up on what happened to the Weimar Republic, or just Hyperinflation in general. Then check out what's happened to the US monetary base and total borrowings from the Federal Reserve over the last year. It's not a pretty picture.

The key word in my post was “successful”. Now, as it was in the past, and as it will be in the future, the word is relative.

Even unruly mobs need to get their pitchforks and torches from somewhere. And many in the mob will shop for the best deal.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
*bangs head on desk*

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
Plot, the economic situation is unlike anything we've experienced firsthand. My parents talked of the hard times of the Great Depression, but, even then, they were not as pessimistic as many are today. We can find parallels between the fall of the Roman Empire, and the US, and discuss other economic catastrophic world events. Fear of the unknown, and panic likely to result should matters get much worse are major concerns, but I'd like to believe we will survive this mess and be a stronger people and nation.

Ron

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Also, where some see doom others spot opportunity glinting on its fringes.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Plot, the economic situation is unlike anything we've experienced firsthand. My parents talked of the hard times of the Great Depression, but, even then, they were not as pessimistic as many are today. We can find parallels between the fall of the Roman Empire, and the US, and discuss other economic catastrophic world events. Fear of the unknown, and panic likely to result should matters get much worse are major concerns, but I'd like to believe we will survive this mess and be a stronger people and nation.

Ron

Back in the 1930's, we had several things in this nation the we no longer possess today.

First, over 25% of all Americans in that era lived or worked on a family farm. That means almost all Americans had a "country cousin" whose house they could flee to, and where they could sleep in the barn if need be. But today less than 3% of Americans live or work on any kind of a farm, and most farms of today are the monster corporate factory farms--no "family" there at all.

Second, we (once, back then) had the greatest railroad in the world, meticulously maintained and in top flgith condition. That railroad is a mere shell of its former self now. (And the rest of the world scratches their heads over why we would be so foolish as to dismantle it.) Using rails to ship freight is far cheaper than road or air travel, and it uses loads less energy. And using rails to transport people is not only cheaper and less energy intensive than cars or air travel, but it's also usually equal in time-efficiency for almost all instances of inter-city transit of less than 500 miles.

Third, we had an awesome canal and levee system. It's been halved since then.

Fourth, our domestic reserves of raw nautral resources, still sitting utterly untouched within the ground, were more than double back then than what they are today: coal, oil, iron ore, gold ore, copper ore--even uranium. We have very little left now of any of those (and other) important resouces within our soveriegn borders. And what scant amounts still remain under the ground here on American soil are only the sub-standard dregs that the miners and oilmen of yesteryear snubbed their noses at.

Fifth, we did NOT have a staggering debt of ... trillions of dollars, owed mostly to (of all nations!) Communist China. Our treasury was full of actual cash and gold back then, not a stack of IOU's.

Sixth, we had an economy heavilly centered upon the actual manufacturing of ... stuff! REAL stuff! Like clothes and toys and appliances and funiture and kitchenware, etc. Today our maufacturing base is almost nothing but cars, military contracts, soaps, and pharmaceuticals. But all the OTHER stuff gets manufactured almost everywhere else now.

What I'm saying is, we've got little left to play with, no additional cards up our sleeves. And our ability to be flexible as far as manufacturing and trade and transit --and especially the retooling of all of those toward any sort of a new economic target we might dream about-- simply isn't there anymore. And that's because you can't retool what either doesn't exist or is just hanging on by a thread.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Plot, I always have this urge to give you a hot cup of tea laced with whiskey and a stiff dose of antacids. Go look at dailypuppy.com or something.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Plot, I always have this urge to give you a hot cup of tea laced with whiskey and a stiff dose of antacids. Go look at dailypuppy.com or something.

Whiskey?

Puppy pictures?

Those two would merely be variations on resorting to this option.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Whiskey?

Puppy pictures?

Those two would merely be variations on resorting to this option.

I have not opened that link and truthfully I don't want to becasue I'm too lazy today.

Please TELL ME what is in that link. Like maybe include a hefty qute, and then explain your own position on it all.

(And no, I'm not going to research anything either. Not unless you can convince me to.)

::ETA::

Please notice just how many hours your thread sat idle before I responded to it. While I could be wrong, I suspect I'm not the only one who can't be bothered to click the link.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
PD, what do you believe about the end times?

is it near?

you seem to post an awful lot about it.