Prologue v. Query v. Heart of Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Ay-ya-ya. Help! Where to begin?
Once, I had a lengthy prologue. It detailed an event which took place when my MC was very young. The event is the core item that drives the story (which starts about 10 years after the core event), even though it was also made clear to the reader (in the prologue) that the older MC doesn't remember the event. Thus the reader had information the MC didn't.

Then, I came here and learnt that Prologues are frowned on if not downright verboten in the eyes of many. So I eliminated it and went with another very brief one that hinted at the core event [trying to satisfy everyone]. The event in question simply does not work as a flashback because the MC isn't going to remember the important details until late in the second book. Until then the MC only has suspicions about the event.

Now I'm hanging out in QLH. It's been kindly suggested that I take the core event and build the hook around it. Great idea, if the core event was actually known to anyone. I really need it in there, somewhere. It won't work as a flashback in this first book, and [pretty much] everyone hates prologues. Now what? All suggestions greatly appreciated!!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered separating the book into sections?
ie . . .

Chapter one: October 1981
Chapter two: December 2008

Take a look at a few Ian Rankin novels.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Until then the MC only has suspicions about the event.

Can you build the query around the MC's suspicions, then? You want your MC to be the driving force of the query, anyway. What starts the MC out on his or her path? What are his or her stakes? What happens if she or he fails? That's your query.

However, I will say that some people discover in the process of query writing there is a flaw in their book. I'm not saying that's your case, but go with your gut.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I read a lengthy Peter Straub novel which dealt with an event which happened to a little girl, through the eyes of her surviving brother, when he was much older-- say, in his 40s. Through the entire 800 page or so novel the little girl was dead. It was, a murder mystery/ horror story. A mystery is written in such a way that the entire story is about trying to piece together something that happened in some missing "prologue." Sometimes, we readers are shown a bit of this prologue, or bits and pieces. Whynot just construct your story as a mystery, no matter which genre? You might be able to save and fold in a lot of that backstory as someone's memory. It is certainlynot uncommon to flash back and forth between times. I don't like the uneavenness of writing only one section as "10 years before" but if it was spread out more evenly, like the counterpoint of a musical work, it might help. It sure would be a shame tho toss out a lot of good work. What you should think about is the potential "design" of the entire book. Some people never consiencly go into design, but others do, and make their work follow a specific pattern. You see this a lot with multiple viewpoint stories as well. A,b,c, a,b,c, or a,a,b,c,c,d, or something like that.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Don't write a query with a hook based on what doesn't take place in the book, or is related to backstory. The hook should be about the actual book, about the actual conflict and the actual story of the book itself. Not something that happened 20 yrs ago that the MC doesn't even remember.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions/advice everyone. I'll bang and crash around on it for a bit more; investigate some of the ideas. So much to consider, thank goodness I don't have any deadlines!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about what people here say about prologues. Write your story. See if it works. You may have a great formula. Trying to re-write it to eliminate the prologue may ruin the structure and the entire story.

On the other hand, is it necessary that the reader know the MC's past where he doesn't?

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds like a pretty cool idea. Is there any way you can shorten the prologue to a thousand words or less? I don't think prologues are necessarily frowned upon, but you might have problems if it is too long. The other thing you can do is drop clues about what happened through statements by other people, documents, momentary flashbacks, etc. What did Ludlum do in the Bourne books?

Status
Not open for further replies.