The best book of the year

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for book recommendations for my Christmas list. What's the best fiction you've read this year?

I'm admittedly behind on many, many recent novels. The only book that stands out for me was What is the What, by Dave Eggers.

And you?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Saramago's Death With Interruptions

Per Petterson's Out Stealing Horses (cheating a bit with the year, but what the heck)

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks -- haven't read either of those. And cheat away. By "book of the year" I mean, "best book you've read this year." Doesn't necessarily have to have been published this year.

Awfully quiet in this thread. I knew I should have posted in Roundtable.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Resolution' by Robert Parker (who writes the Spenser mysteries). It is a sequel to 'Appaloosa'. Both are old style westerns and very good reads. I don't read a lot of fiction, but would recommend both.

MM

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
By far: Atonement, by Ian McEwan.

The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje.

Will, by Christopher Rush. (It's got some weak moments, but overall, it's impressively done.)

Monsters of Templeton, by Lauren Groff, was a lot of fun to read.

Alex Schroeder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.schredder.com
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I don't blubber much, even when it's a book I like, and this one made me blubber like an idiot. Not for all audiences, though.

Naked by David Sedaris. Made me laugh like an idiot.

Reading these back to back will restore the yin and yang and all will be well in your personal universe.

Apparently, I judge books by their capacity to turn me into an idiot.

:D

Alex

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I was late to the party and didn't read Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay until this year, but that'd be my #1 recommendation.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was late to the party and didn't read Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay until this year, but that'd be my #1 recommendation.

Quoted for truth. It's golden.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I want to give somebody WHEN YOU ARE ENGULFED IN FLAMES by DAVID SEDARIS. It's like all his other books...remarkably wonderful.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
One that leaps to mind for me is Madapple by Christina Meldrum. It's marketed as YA, but a very compelling read no matter your age.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score

I'm reading my first Chabon right now (Wonder Boys). I'll have to pick this up when I'm finished.

I also haven't really read Sedaris. I started one once, but it had to go back to the library before I finished.

Thanks all. Lots of good suggestions so far.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am an addict when it comes to both Sedaris and Chabon. I read Wonder Boys about 10 times. Same with Sedaris's ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY.

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotsen. It's in the teen section but it's a fantastic read. I immediately went out and purchased all of the Ibbotsen books I could find.

Another one I loved is Into The Wilderness by Sara Donati.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I actually thought the latest by Sedaris-- When You Are Engulfed in Flames-- was a disappointment. I'm a huge fan, by the way, and have enjoyed all his other books. Me Talk Pretty One Day and Naked were probably his best.

I recommend pretty much anything by Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan-related), Amy Tan (Chinese-American mother-daughter themes), Jodi Picoult (explores relationships intimately), Nick Hornby (hilarious), and Haruki Murakami (alternate realities, what-ifs, Japanese).

Teleute

Skeptic
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to Hosseini and Amy Tan.

The best novels I've read this year are The Kite Runner and The Bonesetter's Daughter, by those same authors, respectively; Innocent Traitor, by Alison Weir; and Peony in Love, by Lisa See.

I actually read all of Amy Tan's novels this year, and I recommend all except The Kitchen God's Wife, and perhaps Saving Fish From Drowning. They aren't bad novels by any stretch, they just aren't her best works.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gotten around to reading much Sedaris yet, but I loved Holidays on Ice. It was a great read to start off the holiday season with. :p

Lets see...I'm loving the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. The writing certainly is not top-quality, but the stories are imaginative and fun.

Hm...gee, looks back through my goodreads page, there's a lot I haven't enjoyed reading this year more than I have...

Oh, here we go. House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones. I LOVED this book. It was fantastic. Quirky young adult fantasy at it's best.

Severian

Registered
Reaction score
I liked Vellum by Hal Duncan quite a lot. I've been meaning to read Ink, the sequel, but I can never find it when I'm out and about.

I also enjoyed The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, the same guy who wrote Fight Club.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of 'best book,' has anyone read Bolano's 2666? Does it live up to the hype?

Pink Ink

girl at heart
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pink-ink-pink.blogspot.com
MaggieUC said: A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotsen. It's in the teen section but it's a fantastic read. I immediately went out and purchased all of the Ibbotsen books I could find.

I think it's great that this book is out in full force once again. I loved loved her books when I discovered them a while back (as in a decade or so??). I guess it just shows that they've got staying power and can still be relevant to the modern reader. Like you, I was so glad that she wrote other books!

Last edited:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
DeNiro's Game by Rawi Hage. Dublin Impac award winner this year. Beatiful Book, great story.

An old one but fantastic, The Curious Incident of the Dog At Night-time.

Any book by Andy McNab. They're thrillers, it's a series but the books stand alone well enough. Ex SAS soldier writing about an ex SAS soldier. Fantastic, authentic, gritty. A Main character that is oh so flawed but you can't help but love him.