UK TV writers on writing

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how long this will be available, so it might be worth viewing soon if you're interested. The program is Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, and the link is to the current episode on BBC iPlayer.

For the people who were unable to access the BBC site or who could but have missed it, here are some YouTube links to this episode. They have it split into five parts of approximately ten minutes each:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

The program contains interviews with Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong (Peep Show), Paul Abbott (Shameless, State of Play), Graham Linehan (Black Books, Father Ted), Russell T. Davies and Tony Jordan. It's around 48 minutes long.

Edited to add, because I didn't describe it above: Some of the topics the interview questions covered were how the writers got into writing, their attitude towards first drafts and rewrites, writing dialogue, making changes to scripts, working with other writers, daily writing routines, and advice for new writers. There was a lot of good advice (the dialogue section was one of my favourite parts), but the main point for me was how much there was to identify with in their experiences - procrastination, coming up with ideas, starting writing, the work involved. I thought it was an excellent show.

Last edited:

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks... I'll definitely check it out.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Yes, I saw this on BBC 4 it's a fantastic episode. You don't need to know or like the writers to appreciate the writerly angst that we all go through and that's so nicely discussed here.

There may be technical gremlins at play for non UK viewers unfortunately but there' s no harm in trying.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Good fun to hear pro writers angsting about the stuff we all angst about.

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've edited the original post to include links to this episode on YouTube.