December (WOW) JHS - Just Hit Send to the Year's End

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Yes, that's corny. I blame transcription. :)

I'm in between reports and thought I'd take a sec to start the new JHS thread.

I'll be back later to post my goals.

Can you believe it's already December?? Wow! This year has just flown.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
December - Last JHS of the Year

I didn't see a new JHS so here goes! I can't believe it's the last one of 2008. It's always such a challenge to juggle the goals around the holidays, but let's give it a shot.

For me, December is going to be about survival. I have to have my book done by 12/31/08, so I'll be focusing frantically on it and trying to get at least one query per week out too. I think that will be more than enough, and I'll kick back into high gear in Jan.

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
OK, time to get serious. I had to blow off most of my Nov. goals. I'll jump in here to get myself focused for Dec. I'll keep the list small so that I might actually accomplish it.
1. Follow up on last query.
2. Finish & JHS Pediatrics article.
3. Plan & research next query and market(s).
4. Plan January's goals with a look toward nationals in '09. ;)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I understand about needing to blow off goals for a bit, Cress. Been there done that several times myself.

I've been thinking about my goals for this month. This is what I've come up with.

• Finish the rough draft of "Benen's Burden" by Christmas (definitely do-able, over half done at the moment)
  • Query $80/day.
  • Blog 2-3x a week on each blog.
  • Update websites.
  • Check oDesk & Freelance Writing Jobs daily.
  • Submit Confessions of a Fat Chick to at least 2 other publishers.
  • Submit Navajo Rose to the "Almost Published" contest for the state RWA chapter.

Last edited:

Cade

Registered
Reaction score
My first JHS! Cool.

Let's see. For December, I'd like to have completed:
-Article research
-Follow up on most recent query
-Finish outlining book
-Update blog weekly
-Find new markets

Mantra: "I can do this. I can do this."

Still Seaking

Doing what I was born to do.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, December goals …

1. Send query letter began work on last month
2. Send query letter for the second article I though of writing last month
3. Finish articles for Demand Studios and look for an equal or better replacement for guaranteed wages
4. Send query to Writing For Dollars

Starting slow. Maybe then I can get things finished.

SS

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Welcome Cade! Everyone is so ambitious.

Cress, I like that...I think I'll adopt planning January's goals as one of my goals too. I still haven't settled for a national market to aim for. I'm kinda stuck in my niches, so I need to do some expansion in 2009.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there -

I hope no one minds if I join in....for the past couple of years, I haven't been taking my freelance career very seriously for one reason or another, but now that's over! Time to JHS!

My goals for December:
1) Follow-up on 2 outstanding queries
2) Research and write 600-word article due on Jan. 20th
3) Update my writing blog 3x week
4) Research and write 3 query letters for national mags

Good luck everyone!

Cade

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Cade! Everyone is so ambitious.

Thanks!

I think I'll jump on the band wagon and add January planning to my list, too. But I'm limiting it to three things. Otherwise I can see it getting out of hand. Heh.

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
I'm glad folks like the idea of planning next month's plan! It helps me avoid being too ambitious in one month. I always feel if I don't write it down, I'll forget it; then, I end up with an impossible goal list.

Welcome Cade.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I've never made a JHS list either - so here goes!

1. Send out new query on dragon PB to at least 3 agents a week (Have a new agent list, but haven't taken the time to check everybody out yet).
2. Make at least 5 pages on Angel an acuality instead of just a thought in the back of my head.

(Ok, so it looks pathetic on "paper" but it's all my schedule can handle right now.)

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
December will be a good month. I won't let myself get dragged down by anything until I finish my goals.

- Send three more queries to NWHS (regional horsey mag)
- Send queries to at least three hunting/sporting magazines
- Follow up on queries to two magazines that I haven't heard from in a while
- Send revamped query to The Writer
- Organize recipes and look for something to send to Taste of Home
- Send out five short stories
- Start new novel
- Renew my writer's market subscription
- blog three times a week

ok, that's enough for now :) Nothing like jumping back in with both feet and up to your neck :D

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I followed-up on one of the queries I sent out last month and already got a response...a rejection. But it was a good one - or at least, the editor invited me to send her more ideas, and it was for a national wedding magazine. Overall, I'm kind of psyched! (Frankly, I'm more used to having my queries ignored all together, so a rejection is kind of a step up.)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I am Weren Cole.

JHS= Just Hit Send? Thus this is a goals thread huh? Well, here goes.

-Pitch my article for a story about Boston Bruins prospect and UNH alum Kevin Regan to my editor at the New England Hockey Journal.

-3-5 Articles for my column at StudyofSports.com. . . including pieces on the GM Meetings next week, Bernie Carbo, Fenway renovations and any breaking news.

-2 Pieces of Onion style humor and feature writing for The Boston Occasionally.

-More internships. WEEI.com, mlb.com, the Boston Phoenix, Washington Post, Metro West (Boston) or somehow finagle my way into the Globe.

These aren't goals, I guess, they are things that I actually will be doing, whether I like it or not. I think my "goals" would be "take some time off and get extremely drunk." Sound good?

Cade

Registered
Reaction score
I can scratch one thing off my Dec. list and add two more.

Heard back from one of my queries--got the thumbs up! My first!

I'm thrilled beyond words.

So, adding to my list:
-Learn effective interviewing
-Write approved article

YAY!

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Hi Cleo! JHS is a great way to hold yourself accountable. And congrats on that rejection...those personal notes usually mean that you'll end up with a sale. I like to think of them as deferred acceptances.

Laurie, glad to see you're joining the mix too. I've been doing it for a few months now, and it really does help.

Raven, whew! It's making me tired just to read your goals!

Weren, welcome to the thread!

Cade, that is awesome. Congrats!

I am busily working on my manuscript. It's 200 pages now; I need to print it out because some edits need to be done visually with pages spread all over, but I'm cringing at the thought of filling/refilling the papertray. Sigh.

I can finish up my article for "Feline Wellness" today. I had asked for a deadline extension till the 4th because the subject of the article was nominated for an award that was supposed to be announced on Thurs. That's been bumped by a couple of weeks so no more reason to delay.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Yesterday, I JHS to an ad on Craigslist via Freelance Writing Jobs. I thought it sounded promising. This morning, I got a reply.

It's for Hub Pages.

I'm already on Hub Pages and haven't earned a single, solitary dime from them. Geez.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
How annyoing, Jen. By the way, I read your Writing For Dollars article and found it really helpful! I'm going to 'claim' my blog at Technorati today!

Cade - Congrats! That's fantastic news!

Weren - I can relate very well to your last "goal."

Barb - thanks for your congrats. I like the idea of considering it a "deferred acceptance" - sounds much nicer than "rejection"! Good luck with all the work on your book. It's great that you're already so far along....

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
welcoming to everyone joining this month.

I'm afraid I need to add a few more goals ...

- send out querys for Blood Sisters
- revise (again) Cursed
- Send out short stories to five more markets (already did three from my previous goals, make that four!)

ok done for now. Time to feed the critters and brave the cold. I posted this afternoon about my eventful morning and why I am a meat eater :)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
If today is any indication about how the rest of the month will go, I think I'll pass. lol. Geez louise, it was crazy! Dealing with idiots (gas company & assorted ijits who called for directions & refused to listen) and working on transcription.

So far, the only writing-related thing I've done today is check in here. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I can't decide if I'm going to go look at oDesk and Freelance Writing Jobs tonight or just leave it for tomorrow. My mind is so mushified (there's a Jenism for ya), I can't even think of anything for my current oDesk client tonight, so I'm going to try to double-time it tomorrow.

I think I might do the same about looking at ads. I think I'm going to paint my fingernails and drink a Diet Pepsi. *s*

Something I forgot to mention yesterday/earlier today...

There is absolutely no such thing as a pathetic goal. If it takes listing it here to get it done, more power to ya and welcome to the fray. :)

Oh, and Cleopatra, thanks about the WFD article. :) I've found Technorati & Blog Catalog to be pretty valuable, though I'm the first to admit, I don't do as much with them (or my blogs) as I probably should.

jwallace

Registered
Reaction score
JHS Delurk :)

I've not posted a JHS goal list here yet, so I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

1. Follow up on the now-in-Chapter 11 Protection publisher who still owes me.
2. Research/write/submit a pending story on Don't Ask, Don't Tell
3. Write/submit piece on HOPE for Homeowners program
3. Most importantly--stop working into the late evening! What's the opposite of procrastination? I've got that problem in spades. Instead of putting things off, I'm constantly trying to get ahead. Main goal for December--RENT A LIFE.

And I thought the holidays were the slow season!

J.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Where can you rent a life? Can I rent one too? :)

I've already been able to get to Freelance Writing Jobs & oDesk this morning. There wasn't anything I thought worth applying for on oDesk, but I applied for two things through FWJ. I really hope I get one in particular. It'd be a full-time job paying triple what I currently make at the day job.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
3. Most importantly--stop working into the late evening! What's the opposite of procrastination? I've got that problem in spades. Instead of putting things off, I'm constantly trying to get ahead. Main goal for December--RENT A LIFE.
I so totally relate! I've gotten in the bad habit of staying up till 2 or 3 in the morning. I'm most productive late at night, but it interferes with my life during the day when I roll out of bed at 10 or 11.

We're going on a cruise on Sunday, so that will be some enforced relaxation. My handy-dandy laptop will be with me tho' since I do have to combine work with pleasure. Oh well, it's a lot easier (and more inspiring) writing with the ocean in the background.