The NaNoWriMo+ Thread

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all- I have about 18,000 words, but I am not quiting. In fact, I was just over at the *writing novels* thread and found more inspiration. Someone posted a thread asking the question, 'How long did it take you from the first word to getting published' or something like that.

My plan is to keep pushing really hard with a goal of finishing my book by mid to late January (there is a holiday in there, you know); then to write the query and get this baby published.

Who's with me? Even if I have no takers, I will still post my goals and progress here. Throw that 'all or nothing' crap out the window and forget some arbitrary date set by some arbitrary human being (sorry Chris Baty) and just get to writing! We can do this! ~Karen

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm aiming for another complete novel in December, plus a collection of short stories and the editing of the NaNo novel. So yep, I'm still going to track my progress until February, when I plan to take a break.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yay Lavinia! My canoe is leaking but I'm still paddling furiously.

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping there'd be a thread like this. I'm only two-thirds of the way through my outline for my first draft, so I'll be continuing with it and hopefully finishing it by the end of December. I think I'll need to do several rewrites, and I'm aiming at having a submittable novel by around June.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yay Sophia!

..."Rewrites"? What dat? :Huh:

:D

-Derek

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
(there is a holiday in there, you know)

I'll be around as normal this week, trying to finish up my NaNo. But after that?

Just so's you all know where I've got to if I disappear:

I've got one of those jobs where holiday=extra work. In fact, Christmas and Boxing Day are two of our biggest days of the year, and the Christmas season is our second biggest after the summer blockbuster release season.

I'll most likely be working a few hours Christmas day even :)D at double time and a half :D), as well as Boxing Day :)D double time and a half :D), New Year's Eve :)( normal pay, but no-one else wants to work it, and all I used to do was watch movies anyhow), and New Year's Day :)D double time and a half :D).

Plus I have a paid preaching gig on the 28th and two concerts in there somewhere.

Can you spell 'Ka-ching?'

But I'll be back in full force sometime on January 1, ready to start writing again.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm still going to get trucking on my books, but I'm giving myself a few days of rest first. Got to tie up some things in my region, get through the TGIO party and then I'm clear. Once January starts up again it'll be ML-business as usual

Annalaise duChat

She's Ba-aack
Registered
Reaction score
When I signed on to do NaNo I knew I wouldn't be completing my novel in 50,000 words. It is a very complex plot requires quite a bit more development, but NaNo gave me an awesome start that I wouldn't have if I hadn't participated. I'm going to take a little time to recoup and get back to it as soon as I can. I'm already beginning to suffer withdrawal.

:e2BIC: After sitting for a month straight I definitely need to start working an exercise plan into my writing schedule.:e2bike2:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:e2BIC: After sitting for a month straight I definitely need to start working an exercise plan into my writing schedule.:e2bike2:

You and me both, though that was the case for me before NaNo. <ack!>

Oh, I should tell you before you click on my sig link that I've stolen your first name for my next MC. Hope you don't mind, but it seemed right for her, somehow. :)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to keep doing 1000 words a day until my NaNovel is finished. I've got 30k now (I orginially set out to write 1000 words a day, but about 20k ended up in a scrap heap.)

1k a day seems like a pace that works well for me. I can do it in an hour if things are going smoothly. So hopefully I'll have a draft completed by the end of January.

Nicole

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to keep going on my NaNo novel until I reach an ending. I hit the 50K, but the story's not done yet and I think my alpha reader will have a fit if I leave it the way it is. :D

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
I still have a long way to go on mine. I think I'll take a couple of days off to recuperate from the NaNo push and then get back on the horse again.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I'm another one of those who finished the 50K for Nano and had story left over. Whenever I got bogged down I'd skip ahead in my novel and now I've got some large plot holes that need to be filled. I took the weekend off to rest on my laurels and now I'm back with my nose to the grindstone. :e2writer:

Oh, I should tell you before you click on my sig link that I've stolen your first name for my next MC. Hope you don't mind, but it seemed right for her, somehow. :)

Annalaise must be a popular name. I'm 18K into a WIP and the main character's name is Annalaise. What is it they say about great minds? :Thumbs:

Last edited:

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I'm so excited there are others out there like me. Honesty time: I looked for my post at the bottom of the page before the top...just didn't think anyone would join me. So Yahooeeey!

I started one novel and then started a different one midstream. I counted both toward my nanowrimo word count, which ended up at about 18,000 words. But for the purposes of this thread, I'm only going to count my new novel. I am at 13,000 words for that one right now. I really want to keep up the momentum.

Thanks for joining in. You guys rock! ~Karen

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like many others, the 51K I've got so far is nowhere near the end of the story.

My Inner Editor snuck back home after I downloaded my winner's certificate and being a holiday weekend and all, I let him stay, especially since I needed to figure out how to handle the secondary character who refused to die. Now I'm ready to boot him out again and plow ahead. Count me in.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
NaNo Project #1 had to get stopped so I could rewind and rewrite the beginning... so I'm wading through stuff that's already written, using as much of it as I can. Somewhere around 15k and looking stronger.

NaNo Project #2 got hit by a fatal Much Better Idea nuke attack that scattered the ashes of what I'd written to the four winds... but it's under way again on a stronger note and with a better POV. 5k-ish.

And a couple of older incomplete novels have started singing to me again! Their sweet harlot voices luring me onto the jagged rocks.

-Derek

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
I went to another nano write-in last night. And you'll never believe how many people showed up...one. LOL Well, actually I didn't expect more than me, myself, and I. During November three of us met on Tuesdays, but usually only two at a time. But I learned a lot from those meetings. Though the coffee house we met at is pretty busy, it's not near as distracting as a sink full of dishes.

So I'm making an appointment with myself. If I do no other writing at all during the week, I will dedicate one day a week to getting out of the house and writing for at least two hours, or 2,000 words.

Anybody else have a new plan?

Oh and I'm keeping track of my word count in my siggy. ~Karen

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
1,110 of 80,000 on the rewrite. 1/80th done! Whoo-hoo!

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Eh, I wrote more webcomic yesterday than I did NaNo+, BAD DEREK! I'll make up for it today!

-Derek

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
When I got to 50k I was only about five chapters short of reaching the end. Of course, that draft is really just the skeleton of the story. There are some subplots and characters that need further developing.

I've still been writing every day (minus December 1st) but not as frantically. Now I only have about two chapters to go. I'm hoping to finish those up, then start over from the beginning and rough out what I feel is "missing" material. The goal is to have a "complete" rough draft by the end of December. Then take a month off to work on other stuff and let the dust settle a bit. Pick things back up mid-February and begin all the editing.

I don't have a projected timeline for querying and such since I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get things to a point where I'm not embarrassed to have people reading pages. However, I'm hoping to be ready to start pitching the book by mid-summer. We'll just have to wait and see how things go.

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
I'm into it now. My NaNo writing consisted of 35,000 words and makes for a very nice Part I of "a novel in three parts". Last night I worked on Part Two, where I have already jotted down about 5,000 words and am very happy with the way it is going so far. The first 20,000 seem a bit laborious and may have to greatly re-edited or even thrown out, but it has been worth it just to get to the territory, where I am at right now.

Good luck to everyone.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got about 31K on NaNo, but about 6K of that got deleted as soon as NaNo was over 'cause it was crap. I still intend to finish the book, but first I'm going to get over my cold and get my brain back.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I got about 31K on NaNo, but about 6K of that got deleted as soon as NaNo was over 'cause it was crap. I still intend to finish the book, but first I'm going to get over my cold and get my brain back.

What? You mean cotton wool doesn't think all that well? ;)

Get well soon, Deleyan. Colds suck. :Hug2: