The NaNoWriMo+ Thread

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Get back to your novel Derek...don't make me stop this car.

Lets get these novels done everyone! ~Karen

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing on my NaNo novel again this weekend after taking a few days off for other things (which felt like weeks of slacking off!) I deleted around 500 words that I'd written for fun when I got stalled during November, and got 3K new words done. I've entered the last part of the novel, where everything is coming together for the ending, and I'll tentatively say the first draft might be done in another ten days or so.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last week at work was a series of mentally intense 12 hour days, so not much got done on the NaNo story except a bit of outline reworking. Yesterday I created a new document consisting of only the decent bits of the NaNo draft and was pleased to discover 38K of my 51K is good enough to continue with as first draft material.

This afternoon I'll be able to start moving on toward the end. Yay!

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
I keep going at the same speed as during NaNo (between 1666 and 3000 words, that is a scene a day, or two scenes if they're shortish) and am just over the midbook point and into all the reeeally interesting adventure stuff! :e2steer:

And I've started rereading Dwight Swain, getting ready for the Big Edit!

Annalaise duChat

She's Ba-aack
Registered
Reaction score
:rant:I am so angry! Tuesday after NaNo ended I got into an automobile accident that screwed up both my arms and now I can't type or play my piano without my fingers getting numb. Nothing is broken, but there is inflammation in my neck which is pressing on the nerves and causing irritation. I 've been trying to give them a rest, but I really need to get back to my novel before I lose momentum. I'm really bummed.:cry: and the accident wasn't even my fault!

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Annalaise, get better! From your description it sounds like it should go soon.

In the meantime, try--and I really mean, try it!--using a tape recorder or a dictaphone. Some writers I know use them all the time to write their books. It might seem weird at first but it really works. I've started dictating some book-related notes into a dictaphone and quite liked it.

GET BETTER!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
(((Annalaise)))

That really sucks! I personally would suggest you get a referral for a chiropractor, and in the meantime, Fresie's idea of using a recording device of some sort seems like it might work to keep you in the swing of things. Get well soon. :Hug2:

Annalaise duChat

She's Ba-aack
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I've already seen my chiropractor and am undergoing treatment. I'll have to look into a recording device. Maybe Santa will be nice to me. Hopefully by then I will be feeling better. I should look into one of those speech to text programs. That would be an excellent way to do NaNo next year. Nobody said you actually have to type the words right?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
My sort-of-ex is a special ed teacher, and he uses Dragon Naturally Speaking for some of his pupils. It's not without its problems, though, and it can take a while to train the program, or so I've been told.

Chances seem good to me that you'll recover, though. In the meantime, hugs and prayers coming your way, asking that your recovery be speedy. :Hug2:

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Elara-Good for you for getting started back up. I think that's the danger of taking a break...losing the motivation.

Annalaise- That really stinks! But as one with chronic problems like this, once the inflamation decreases, the problems with numbness/tingling will diminish too. In the meantime, maybe you could hang upside down to write...just a little joke. Sorry. Hope the chiro works for you. Unfortunately, it seems that the most useful thing is time. And it sucks to have to wait to get better. But you will...don't worry! Hang in there.

Fresie- Good for you. That takes a lot of determination to keep up the pace. As for me, I'm writing slowly but surely. My goal is to write five days in a row this week for a minimum of two hours a day.

Anyone else have a goal for the week? ~Karen

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
A chiropractor is definitely a good idea. I tend to get plantar fasciitis on and off, and chiropractic treatment really helps.

My Nanomentum has definitely slowed way down, but I'm not out of it yet. My novel is very close to being finished, and I want to be able to type THE END to it by the end of December.

I'm the queen of uncompleted projects, and I'm making a concerted effort to get things done. I've been working on an afghan all year. I'm almost done with that, too. It's all crocheted. I just have to put on the fringe.

Winters aren't a good time for me. On top of a highly stressful year, I have SAD beginning to take over. Someday, when I'm a rich and famous author, I'll be able to afford to take winter vacations some place warm and sunny.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Winters aren't a good time for me. On top of a highly stressful year, I have SAD beginning to take over. Someday, when I'm a rich and famous author, I'll be able to afford to take winter vacations some place warm and sunny.

I hear you, I really do. Yesterday I was so excited--I was going to be outside all day. I was going to be in the sun.

Except there wasn't any. It was wet snow and clouds all day. :( Today, it's snowing like crazy. Still no sun.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my rough draft yesterday. *woohoo*

Now I'm starting revisions. I know I'm supposed to put it aside for a while, but right now I've got the creative energy to keep going so that's what I'm going to do. It's going kind of slow so far, but I blame that on the icky weather that makes me sleepy. *boo*

My current goal is to get 1-2 chapters rewritten/edited per week. Which would put me at a completed second draft by around March. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
The effort of writing 100K in one month at the rate of 3,400 a month was so intense that I've been slacking off for the past few weeks.
In a minute, I'll go to work on the next episode of my blog series, and this weekend, I hope to :
a - prepare my NaNo 1 for a fanfiction site
b - write down some ideas to turn NaNo 2 into a full-scale 100K novel
c - write down some ideas for an eventual crime story for the CWA Debut Daggers competition now in progress.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, great work, Aggy B! :Clap:

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my rough draft yesterday. *woohoo*

Now I'm starting revisions. I know I'm supposed to put it aside for a while, but right now I've got the creative energy to keep going so that's what I'm going to do. It's going kind of slow so far, but I blame that on the icky weather that makes me sleepy. *boo*

My current goal is to get 1-2 chapters rewritten/edited per week. Which would put me at a completed second draft by around March. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Well done! :) Good luck on your revisions and edits. Keep it going.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still working. :) Lost last week due to some health problems but getting back into it slowly now. I've revised my estimate of finishing the first draft to the end of December, to give myself a bit of leeway. How are you guys doing?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Still writing! Just slightly distracted by another writing project that's demanding time.

-Derek

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I was editing one of my two NaNos this morning and it completely disappeared!

Luckily, it was not the one I'm writing as a new WIP, but the other one, a fanfiction piece. I was editing the final 20 pages before putting it on a fanfiction website this weekend, and some weird Word windows popped up, I chose the wrong answers, and the whole thing vanished. About 120 pages or 50,888 words down the drain.
Conclusion: I'm making backups of really important documents now.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:cry: :e2smack: :Lecture: :Headbang: :Hammer: :Hug2:

(This message brought to you by SayItWithSmilies dot com...)

Glad you didn't lose the new one, Enzo, but really...

Get thou hence and back up all your writing right now! Flash drives are cheap. Online storage via email is free. Burning to CD is cheap.

Your work? Priceless!

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
Enzo, I think it might be too late after you've turned off your computer, but when you lose a document you can sometimes restore it. I think if you're in Word and you click on File then New, a menu comes up on the right side and it lists all the documents you recently had open and one that was lost can then be restored by opening it again.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, rh, I tried that, but it didn't work. Even the recycling bin didn't have the file, so it's lost.
Yes, Yeshanu, I'm now saving all my Word files on a flash drive and on another backup computer.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a little behind schedule and probably won't finish by the end of today, but I'm aiming to get a couple of scenes done. Anyone else going for a final push to see out the year?