What I've Learned From NaNo

para

Registered
Reaction score
I've learned I'm a very lazy writer. I'm more inclined to write if I have a deadline and even then I'll procrastinate for most of the month.

I can write 20K in a weekend (this doesn't help with the procrastination)

I need an outline for both plot and characters - I think all the time I spent procrastinating was because I didn't really know my characters.

I can edit, it's not that awful. Professional authors rewrite all the time, as much as the work needs. The first draft isn't going to be anywhere close to perfect. I always knew this but I needed to hear it enough times before I believed it, if that makes sense.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I've learned I can write 100K in a month even if I have only 3 hours a day available.
But I've also learned there's a backlash afterward. I haven't done much since, and it'll probably take until Jan. 1 before I get my normal rhythm back.

Perimyndith

Registered
Reaction score
1. I work well from a very simple outline, as long as it's well thought out ahead of time.

2. I really can make myself be creative if I put my mind to it.

3. I have actually improved as a writer in so many amazing ways since the first time I did NaNo. I just didn't realize how much or in how many ways until I did it the 2nd time and could compare the 2 experiences.

4. Novels may be way more work than short stories, but they're also way more fun to write!