• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Contest] Writer's Digest

Jeffrey Pace

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about the reputation WD compettions hold around here. The money they offer for placing high is nice, and of course the credit on your bio would always be great, but first prize receives a self-publishing package as well??

In the opinion of this board, are these contests for say worthwhile, or would your hard work be better utilized by submitting your tales for publication to magazines instead of entering them in their contest?

Thanks so much

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
Jeffrey, if I'm not mistaken, there was a thread about this not too long ago on Poets & Writers' forum, the Speakeasy, and the consensus seemed to be that the odds of winning are so slim, that one is better of submitting directly to the magazine or journal.

I went through a contest-entering phase a few years ago, and was surprised at how quickly all those entry fees added up. The best I ever got was a couple of honorable mentions by smaller contests--with no prize money. I choose not to enter contests anymore, but others may have a different perspective.

Jeffrey Pace

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I did some more digging on here and elsewhere and would have to say that your opinion is pretty unanimous.

Thanks again. Love this place.

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Digest Writing Competition

Has anyone entered or had experience with this competition?

SirBiatch

Registered
Reaction score
I entered their Popular Fiction Awards last year, and never again. Waste of time for me.

My advice is to read the stories that win in detail. Then write exactly like those stories. The same type of stories seem to win every year.

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
Writer's Digest Short Story Competition

Apparently it's funded by a vanity press. I've found this out from here: http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2008/01/writers-digest.html

The grand prize's $3,000, so no wonder people are willing to part with the 15 bucks it costs to submit an entry, heh. Writer's Digest is a pretty big name, however, so does anyone have any information on the validity of this contest?

Thanks!

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
In 2007, I placed #21 out of over 8,000 entries in this contest. It was for a women's fiction story that I wrote in less than a day. I entered on a whim and am so thrilled I did. If anything, it was a little slice of talent validity in a business that can be so crushing.

Not sure how the cred will look on a query, but hey, it can't hurt. ;)

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
contests in writer's Digest

Hello, so I was flipping through writers Digest and found contests for books, but most of it said they take short fiction. I'm wondering if that means short stories, or is there another type of fiction I'm not familiar with?

Burl Kenneth Sloan

Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Digest Competition

A friends of mine forwarded information to me regarding the "Writer's Digest Writing Competition." I noticed there is a fee for entering, which I thought somewhat odd.

Is this common when entering competitions? Can anyone offer any insight into this particular one?

Thanks in advance.

SteveCorwin

Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Digest Annual Competition legit?

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm new and this forum is HUGE!

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not the Writer's Digest Annual Writing Competition is credible and/or legit?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm new and this forum is HUGE!

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not the Writer's Digest Annual Writing Competition is credible and/or legit?

There's already an extant thread on the Writer's Digest contests here, although it hasn't had any recent activity.

You might want to read this blog by AW's own Victoria Strauss on Writer Beware: Awards Profiteers: How Writers Can Recognize and Avoid Them.