Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Continue to write crits when you can. You can also look for interesting discussions around the boards and participate there. Ask questions. There are a lot of ways to get to those fifty posts, just please don't make that your end goal. Give the community a chance to get to know you and let yourself get to know the community.

HTH

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I was hoping for a little advice.

I joined the community to take part and share ideas and work but I have to post 50 posts before I can show my own work (fair enough, I thought). Okay, I made a few easy posts early on with my 'hello' post but it seems inappropriate to milk that one and I thought the best thing to do is to get on and write some crits. I've written 2 crits and they have both taken me 4 days to write, review, format and post (I don't want to do a shoddy job).

At this rate its going to take me 5 months to be in a position to post anything, and frankly I'm feeling very dispondant at the insurmountable task ahead of me. I don't want to take an 'easy' path and I do want to pay my dues in crits, etc. but there must be a more efficacious way to get 50 posts?

Has anyone got any advice?

GWB
Maybe don't try so hard, just casually read something and say what you think about it, don't try to analyze every sentence or find every typo and misplaced comma on the planet. Sometimes writers are just looking for a general opinion on a piece, not the answer to the meaning of life. You read books and form opinions all the time, I bet.

Take a peek at the Post The First Three Sentences of your Short Story and Post the First Three Sentences of your Novel For Feedback* threads, and also the "Post 200 words..." threads in the various Share Your Work genre sub-forums. Critting much shorter pieces might be easier for you, to help get you up and running.

* the password for Brainstorming Sandbox forum is also vista just like SYW

-Derek

calisterol

Registered
Reaction score
HELP how do I add a picture for my profile, I feel like an old lady right now and it is making my brain feel like pudding even more than it usually does.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Here you go:

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?189978-FAQ-Everything-You-Always-Wanted-to-Know-About-Avatars-and-User-Titles

Make sure that you're not confusing a Profile picture, which only appears on your User Profile, with an Avatar, which appears in every post.

To change your Avatar:

• Click Settings on the top right of any AW Forum window.
  • Scroll down to the section labeled My Settings on the left.
  • Click Edit Avatar
  • Scroll down to the section labeled Custom Avatar; click the radio button to the left of Custom Avatar
  • Use Option 2, and upload an avatar the (following the image and file size limitations) from your computer.
    Option 1 has been disabled.
  • Remember to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Save Changes button.
  • If you don't see your new avatar when you check a post, and you're sure you clicked Save Changes, try emptying your browser cache and refreshing the page. You might have a local copy of the previous version still stored by your Web browser.

If you're truly stuck, PM me as AW Admin, and I'll take a look.

To change your Profile Picture:

• Click Settings on the top right of any AW Forum window.
  • Scroll down to the section labeled My Settings on the left.
  • Under the My Profile heading, Click Edit Profile Picture
  • Scroll down to the section labeled Custom Profile Picture; click the radio button to the left of Custom Avatar.
  • Use Option 2, and upload an avatar (following the image and file size limitations) from your computer.
    Option 1 has been disabled.
  • Remember to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click the Save Changes button.
  • If you don't see your new Profile Picture when you check your Profile, and you're sure you clicked Save Changes, try emptying your browser cache and refreshing the page. You might have a local copy of the previous version still stored by your Web browser.

If you're truly stuck, PM me as AW Admin, and I'll take a look.

calisterol

Registered
Reaction score
hello, my question is how do you look at reputation points because I got a message but I can't view it. I am very confused.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

Oh Non

Registered
Reaction score
Is "flying low" just a southern expression? That's where I first heard it, and had no clue what it meant. Now that I know what it means, I have a perfect spot for it in my book. I don't want to make people confused though.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is "flying low" just a southern expression? That's where I first heard it, and had no clue what it meant. Now that I know what it means, I have a perfect spot for it in my book. I don't want to make people confused though.

Up to my checking Google a few minutes ago, it meant nothing to me beyond 'low flying' in an aircraft or 'keeping below the radar'.

If you want to use it to mean something else, maybe an undone zip or fly, or dance movement or whatever, you should be OK provided the intended meaning is clear from the context or character reactions.

thewonder

Registered
Reaction score
I've been surfing the forums and haven't seen anything on self-publishing. I have some poems that I've submitted to a few places with no avail and would kind of like to arrange them in a small booklet. Is there a self-publishing advice thread anywhere around here?

Secondary Question:

Where do we just chat it up about our favorite books and whatnot? Most of the subforums seem to be somehow devoted to writing tips and I'm curious as to where I can just talk about books that I happen to like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izz

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Here is where you'll find the master list of forums.

Here's the self-publishing forum.

Here's a set of threads about people's favorite books.

You'll find a lot more just by rummaging around - starting with the stickies on forums that look interesting to you is usually not a bad way to begin. :)

Reactions: Izz and AW Admin

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. :) Please send a message (referred to as a "Conversation" in this forum software) to AW Admin asking about it.

Reactions: AW Admin

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops. Sorry, I should have thought about checking that! Thanks.
I write my fingers TO THE BONE and no one reads :cry:

(Except Ari Meermans).

No worries; I'd be delighted to change your Username. I have to wait until you are not logged on, but will likely take care of it later tonight or very early tomorrow.

Isabelrhodes17

Registered
Reaction score
This thread was the 'Ask the Mod' thread, however it is now on tour. It is now in Office Party and has morphed into the 'Ask Silver King and OFG' thread.

So, ask away. :D

Previous Intro:

So here's your chance to ask any of the Moderators 'Mods' a question. It can be about anything you like (just remember to keep it clean :D ). They can either be serious, as in relating to their individual forums, or just a bit of fun.

So, who has the first question for a Mod?

ETA: This thread started in the Newbie Forum. It is now 'On Tour' around AW.
Hey, I was curious as to what "beta reading" is. Thanks!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is when a reader volunteers to read an entire novel and comment on/critique it. It's quite a timely investment, so quite often two writers will swap with each other. Obviously AW's text boxes can't support 100,000 words being typed in (!) so the authors usually communicate via personal/instant messages (the little envelope icon at the top right, in between your avatar and the bell image) and then swap email addresses or whatever method suits them.

Reactions: AW Admin

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Beta reading is well-explained in this sticky thread from our Beta Reading room :) It's something that many writers find helpful in making sure their writing (both plot-wise and word-wise) is strong enough to sell.

Please note that there is a 50-post requirement before you can start a thread asking for Beta Readers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maryn

T.D.H.

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, great and powerful Mods.
I am a Newbie and I have a couple of questions.
The first is, is there a limit on the length replies can be? I've written a crit on someone's SYW post, but I can't post it. Instead, I get a "Oops. We ran into some problems." message. Could the problem run into be the length of my reply? It's pretty long (part of the reason for that is that I quoted much of the original post.).
My second question is how does the Draft feature work? I've saved my draft, but I don't know where it was saved or how to retrieve it.
Thank you.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first is, is there a limit on the length replies can be? I've written a crit on someone's SYW post, but I can't post it. Instead, I get a "Oops. We ran into some problems." message. Could the problem run into be the length of my reply? It's pretty long (part of the reason for that is that I quoted much of the original post.).
My second question is how does the Draft feature work? I've saved my draft, but I don't know where it was saved or how to retrieve it.
Thank you.
Good questions! I hope a mod comes along soon with wisdom.

I think that yes, post length is limited. I've no idea where drafts disappear to though!

Reactions: T.D.H.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi! I fit one of these three things (I'll let you guess which one ;)) so I'll try to help.
Yep, there is a 20K character limit on posts. What can make this tricky to keep track of is that additional formatting (bold, different colors, etc) greatly increases the character count of the formatted text.

See this post for more details: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/in...ew-forum-software.348697/page-3#post-10692822
Thank you.
Basically, your draft should save in the reply box of the thread that you are replying to. So next time you open that thread, what you've saved should show up in the reply box (I just tested it with this reply - saved, closed thread, reopened - and it worked). I think, too, that the default is to auto-save every so often, which is a nice additional step to help preserve posts we've worked for ages on.

If you want a double layer of protection against losing stuff, you could always copy your reply (with the BB code toggled to 'On'; that's under the More Options three dots on top right next to preview) into a text document and save it somewhere on your HDD/cloud storage.

Reactions: T.D.H.