Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

rachel0d

Registered
Reaction score
I skimmed through some divisions of the forums but couldn't find much about World Building, I don't know very much Jargon. Would it be under another name?

I'd like to get an idea on how other people format their writing and expand on their 'sketches'.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have a specific forum for World Building. There are threads in different forums which discuss it as well as in the Sandbox

_Melody_

Registered
Reaction score
I am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer size of this forum! Ive popped in here and there, but do you have any advice on where to ‘start’ as a newbie? Aside from the newbie thread.

Its a great forum by the way! I cant believe I haven’t been here before.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can start with the forum of the genre you write, or the genre of your favorite book, to see if there's a thread about it. Office Party is a social forum and has threads to meet and discuss fun stuff of a nonserious nature. The Royalty Thread is always a nice place to meet long term members.

Chaki1718

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm still fiddling with AW. It's so big but I've stumbled upon lots of golden nuggets of advise.
I am ready to post to Share my work but I don't know where to do that. Is there a password needed to access?
Also, I noticed that certain forums need passwords. How do I have access to these passwords?

Thank you for your help!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm still fiddling with AW. It's so big but I've stumbled upon lots of golden nuggets of advise.
I am ready to post to Share my work but I don't know where to do that. Is there a password needed to access?
Also, I noticed that certain forums need passwords. How do I have access to these passwords?

Thank you for your help!

You need 50 posts to start a new thread in SYW.

Lots of times new members think they know what it means to be critted, and that their work is ready for it, when it isn't. So having to have 50 genuine, engaged posts gives new members a chance to figure out how critting works.

Until you have 50 posts, why not go to Share Your Work and read some crits, and carefully read the stickies, and maybe try your own hand at doing a crit ?

The password for Share Your Work is vista.

There's an FAQ listing passwords.

Once you have 50 posts, you can start your own thread in Share Your Work. Until then, reading crits, and trying your own hand at critting will help you understand what it's like to be critted.

CWGrad2018

Registered
Reaction score
I am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer size of this forum! Ive popped in here and there, but do you have any advice on where to ‘start’ as a newbie? Aside from the newbie thread.

Its a great forum by the way! I cant believe I haven’t been here before.

I felt the same way when I first discovered the forum. It was like I had stumbled into a smorgasbord of information, so much so that I often forget to post which isn't going to help me when it comes to getting help for my work.

Chaki1718

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much!!!

Luke Bruton

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have to have a certain number of posts to upload a picture under your name or is the picture I'm currently trying to upload simply too large (although I checked the size requirements and it didn't look too large so RIP).

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have to have a certain number of posts to upload a picture under your name or is the picture I'm currently trying to upload simply too large (although I checked the size requirements and it didn't look too large so RIP).

No, you don't need to have a minimum post count to upload an image for your avatar, but there are size limitations. Are you trying to upload the image from your computer and, if so, are you scrolling down and clicking "Save"?

Last edited:

Paul Scott

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the link it's exactly what I was looking for, seems like I'll need to get to 50 posts first!

Thanks again!!

Guess you have already found out but 50 posts are not required for a profile picture. nice backdrop in the pic though. Where was it taken?

Luke Bruton

Registered
Reaction score
Guess you have already found out but 50 posts are not required for a profile picture. nice backdrop in the pic though. Where was it taken?

Yeh I'm glad I found out how to do it XD It was taken on buffalo Bill's road just off of Wye downs, you ever been?

Paul Scott

Registered
Reaction score
Yeh I'm glad I found out how to do it XD It was taken on buffalo Bill's road just off of Wye downs, you ever been?

I have not. My favourite recreational walks take place in the field of Yak's, sounds dangerous but they really are misunderstood creatures.

Luke Bruton

Registered
Reaction score
I have not. My favourite recreational walks take place in the field of Yak's, sounds dangerous but they really are misunderstood creatures.

Really that does sound like a walk and a half I'd rather have a Yak in there than a bull though they're only gentle beasts

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Don't confuse the Profile picture (visible only on a member's profile) and the Avatar, associated with every single post.

Luke Bruton

Registered
Reaction score
hiya,

I was just wondering how I earn the right to create threads on other forums other than the "newbie" forum? I've checked and I can only create them here, I thought once I reached and surpassed 50 posts that I'd be able to create threads in any forum on AW but I can't at the moment so I just wondered how I go about doing this? thanks in advance if you find the time to reply to this!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Members can start threads in other forums without needing 50 posts. It is Share Your Work, Announcements Events and Book Promotion, the Library and Requesting Beta Readers where there is a 50 post requirement.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the bottom left of the individual forum page there is a chart that shows the color codes of the envelopes. The time stamps can be personalized for members' locations on their Settings Page, by clicking General Settings

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

GroovyWordBender

Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping for a little advice.

I joined the community to take part and share ideas and work but I have to post 50 posts before I can show my own work (fair enough, I thought). Okay, I made a few easy posts early on with my 'hello' post but it seems inappropriate to milk that one and I thought the best thing to do is to get on and write some crits. I've written 2 crits and they have both taken me 4 days to write, review, format and post (I don't want to do a shoddy job).

At this rate its going to take me 5 months to be in a position to post anything, and frankly I'm feeling very dispondant at the insurmountable task ahead of me. I don't want to take an 'easy' path and I do want to pay my dues in crits, etc. but there must be a more efficacious way to get 50 posts?

Has anyone got any advice?

GWB