Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
This thread was the 'Ask the Mod' thread, however it is now on tour. It is now in Office Party and has morphed into the 'Ask Silver King and OFG' thread.

So, ask away. :D

Previous Intro:

So here's your chance to ask any of the Moderators 'Mods' a question. It can be about anything you like (just remember to keep it clean :D ). They can either be serious, as in relating to their individual forums, or just a bit of fun.

So, who has the first question for a Mod?

ETA: This thread started in the Newbie Forum. It is now 'On Tour' around AW.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I do. What's a mod?

Hm. I'm not sure. How do I find out who the mods are?
Both very good questions, Haggis, and I'll try and answer them.

A 'Mod' is shorthand for 'Moderator'.

The forums are owned and operated by MacAllister Stone and she is helped by a group of volunteer Moderators all of whom give their time freely.

Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. They ensure the smooth running of each of the forums and can deal with any of the day to day problems that may pop up.

On the main page where all the forums are listed, if you look over to the far right you will see the moderators of the individaul forums. For example, you will notice that Poetinahat and I (jvc) are the moderators of the Newbie forum. I also moderate the Movies forum, the FAQ forum and the Suddenly Fiction Forum, and Poetinahat also moderates the Poetry Forum.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the main page (just above the 'What's going on' and list of currently active users) you will notice a 'View Forum Leaders' button. If you click on the button this will give you a full list of all the moderators and the forums they moderate. This list can also be accessed here.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, all the burning questions...

How much time does each Mod spend on monitoring their area?
How often do they miss something...if ever?
Do they all know each other?
Do they discuss thorny issues or just make a decision on their own? :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score

The time a mod spends in their area is up to the mod and what the forum dictates. Some require more attention than others. Likewise, some mods have more time to spend on the boards than others. We watch each other's backs and are aware if someone is going to be absent for a stretch so we can keep an eye on their forums while they're gone. Some forums that require more attention have more than one mod.

Miss something? Typically if a mod isn't aware of a problem in the forum a good citizen of AW will send us a rep or PM, or another mod will clue us in.
Yes. We all know each other.
We discuss all thorny issues and make decisions together very frequently.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
And before anyone asks, yes. We all take turns walking Haggis.

He never waits for us to walk him, but we DO walk him.

The time a mod spends in their area is up to the mod and what the forum dictates. Some require more attention than others. Likewise, some mods have more time to spend on the boards than others. We watch each other's backs and are aware if someone is going to be absent for a stretch so we can keep an eye on their forums while they're gone. Some forums that require more attention have more than one mod.

Miss something? Typically if a mod isn't aware of a problem in the forum a good citizen of AW will send us a rep or PM, or another mod will clue us in.
Yes. We all know each other.

My esteemed collegue is right on the money... plus, there's a little triangle-shaped thingy over on the left-hand side of the post, under the member's name and pic, and that's the 'report post' function. Kinda like sending the Bat Signal to Batman. We come arunnin'.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score

For me this varies every day and depends on what else I'm doing; if I'm tired, if there's a lot on TV, if I'm bored. Sometimes I'm on for five minutes, other times for hours. A lot of the time I'm on my computer anyway writing, working or playing Solitaire, and check in every so often to see what's new.

As Stew said above, if a mod isn't aware of a problem in the forum a good citizen of AW will send us a rep or PM (I prefer reps personally, for no reason, not just so I can get more reps that's for certain :D ), or another mod will clue us in.

Yep. We all know each other. (and yep I just copied and pasted Stew's answer and changed the 'yes' for a 'yep'.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
So, I want to ask III:

How many guitars do you have, and how many hours a week do you play guitar?

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Why did Haggis go from a super scary avatar to a cute little chihuahua? Will forum posters ever take him seriously again?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Why did Haggis go from a super scary avatar to a cute little chihuahua?

After several Town Hall meetings and discussions with my Exploration Committee, I decided a change in avatar would be more consistent with my Public Relations Policy.

Will forum posters ever take him seriously again?

Again? You mean they did before? :eek:

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to garner sympathy.
That's a weak response. You should say something more high-fallutin' like, such as, uh...

"After several Town Hall meetings and discussions with my Exploration Committee, I decided a change in avatar would be more consistent with my Public Relations Policy."

Just admit it - you're running for Presidential Dog.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That's a weak response. You should say something more high-fallutin' like, such as, uh...

"After several Town Hall meetings and discussions with my Exploration Committee, I decided a change in avatar would be more consistent with my Public Relations Policy."

Just admit it - you're running for Presidential Dog.

:D

That sounds like just what I said.

;)

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
Ooh, I have a question. How many mods are there?

And another. Is there a "head mod" or anything like that, or are you all pretty equal in rank?

And again. Are you all writers, authors, both, or lovers of the Net?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Are you all writers, authors, both, or lovers of the Net?

Let me take this question, Madison, and leave the others for some of the other mods.

Yes, all of us are writers, except for Rolling Thunder, who is a mass murderer awaiting execution at an undisclosed location in Texas.