Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I had to answer the earlier question - what to do when you can't sleep. I have a word game (yes, I'm a writer) - puts me right out. Take any three letter word - ear- and go through the alphabet seeing how many 4 letter words you can make. So areA, Bear, Bare, raBe (as in kohl..), Care. The point is to try to make at least 26 words. I rarely get as far as "m".

trolly dei

I'm in love with everything!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leeftappynix.blogspot.com
If I can't sleep I imagine a story and play it out in my head. As for flitting things, if I can handle it outside I can probably handle it inside. Except for insects. Those aren't fun anywhere.

Elana

Auntie Em! Auntie Em!
Registered
Reaction score
Crisps/chips: Cheetos. Mmmm. Sun Chips are pretty good, too.

Can't sleep: I do yoga relaxation - start at my toes, concentrate on releasing all the tension from the muscles. Then move up to calves, thighs, all the way up to shoulders and neck and head. It usually puts me out pretty quickly.

MsKelly65

Registered
Reaction score
Crisps/chips - I'm gonna have to go with more of a cracker - Reduced Fat Wheat Thins (I love 'em topped with a dab of fat-free cottage cheese!)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New QotW

ok, despite what it might say in the first post about the new question, this one is not about chips or crisp or other snack foods. :D

also, I'm just going to go ahead and call it the Question of the WEEK seeing as that's about as often as we're averaging now.

*opening trumpet fanfare*

NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK

*closing trumpet fanfare*​

while I realize this weekend is an American holiday, I also know that most countries have some sort of "national day."

So, my question is, what do you do, whatever country it is you're in, to celebrate your national day?

:D

Last edited:

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
I like to watch hystoric movies and if the weather is good I go watch the military parade.

Griesmeel

Wide eyed stumbler.
Registered
Reaction score
Back near my roots in The Netherlands, Queen's day. Fleamarkets and anything fit for consumption... as long as it's orange... the colour that is.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a meatloaf in the college cafeteria once that was orange. I'm pretty sure it wasn't fit for consumption, though.

:D

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Sara?
Sardinhas?
:)

I'll eat fresh grilled sardines any chance I get - no need for a special occasion to eat them. :D

And really, I know it's lame, but I don't really celebrate the 25th of April. We're not big on fireworks and parades either, so it's not like I'm purposefully avoiding the celebrations.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Britain has lots of venerable traditions regarding national holidays, though mostly we use national holidays to get drunk and do incredibly stupid things such as rolling cheese down hills and rolling around in mud. Or complaining that the weather isn't good enough to actually do anything, and use the excuse to get drunk regardless...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
mostly we use national holidays to get drunk and do incredibly stupid things such as rolling cheese down hills and rolling around in mud.

I *knew* I lived on the wrong continent...

-Suzanne

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Britain has lots of venerable traditions regarding national holidays, though mostly we use national holidays to get drunk and do incredibly stupid things such as rolling cheese down hills and rolling around in mud. Or complaining that the weather isn't good enough to actually do anything, and use the excuse to get drunk regardless...

You need excuses to get drunk? :Wha:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Not really. :D

(examining the British attitude to alcohol would probably take a few hundred thousand words to cover the full range of our madness)

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score

Do you get drunk perhaps to gain the ability to not care what the weather is like? I know it works for me. ;p

I am totally going to try and roll cheese down a hill tomorrow. I just like the way that sounds. So fun. I may or may not be drunk while I'm doing it, but it won't matter.

'Cuz I'll be rolling cheese. Down a hill.

ETA: My dad came here (to Canada) from England when he was a teen. He's never told me about this cheese thing. I'm going to have to ask him about it:))

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Do you get drunk perhaps to gain the ability to not care what the weather is like? I know it works for me. ;p

We take any excuse we can get... "It's summer.", "I'm thirsty.", "Today ends with a 'y'." :D

ETA: My dad came here (to Canada) from England when he was a teen. He's never told me about this cheese thing. I'm going to have to ask him about it:))

I think there is meant to be a ceremonial nature to the cheese-rolling, but I've never dared ask. Same with the thing where folks jump naked into the Forth river in the middle of winter, or the swimming in pools of mud "oop t' north" in England. Inquiries into the roots of these traditions would probably require more alcohol being imbibed.