Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
New Year! New Post! New question!

Have you ever made - AND KEPT - a New Year Resolution? What was it, if Yes?

Alas, no resolutions for me.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Let's try a new question...

The Eagles won the SuperBowl, even though they were considered the underdogs. What is your favorite underdog story?

I'm a big fan of Frodo, myself.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score

The Eagles won the SuperBowl, even though they were considered the underdogs. What is your favorite underdog story?

Leon Jolson.

During World War 2 Leon escaped from a Nazi concentration camp and worked in the underground. For awhile he actually assisted in intercepting Nazi radio transmissions and passing them onto the allies. After the war, he and his wife immigrated to the US where he went back to repairing sewing machines in a little nook of New York City. This was too easy for him because American machines were simple in comparison to European counterparts. He got the brilliant idea to have those European machines imported, and after a few tries managed to own the only company in the US responsible for importing both Necchi and Pfaff machines. Sales after only four years exceeded two and a half million and they had ten percent of the US market. Then, he signed a deal with Elna, and then...he went to Japan and began his own line under the Nelco name.

No magic. No cartoon or movie. Not even a good hardback biography.

Someone should write it..

Last edited:

charlielaw

Registered
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Frodo, myself.

I like the movie Rudy, but I'm a Notre Dame football fan.

You could also consider Robin Hood an underdog, too, and I'm a sucker for Robin Hood tales and tales of a "noble outlaw."

Reaction score
It isn’t an obvious underdog story perhaps, but I actually really like Interstellar. Humans trying to survive in deep space, going against incredible odds in a strange galaxy using just their brains and grit.

dJonathon

Registered
Reaction score
Taking things back to my youth, I'll have to say John Christopher's "Tripods Trilogy", particularly the first book "The White Mountains". There's something about kids fighting alien overlords that appeals to me.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Having just watched a particular quiz show I'm reminded of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards.

He is a Brit who entered the Winter Olympics in 1988 at the age of 25, to be the first Brit to represent us in ski jumping since 1928. He finished last in both events (70m and 90m). He only got in because there was no other Brit trying! He was literally the only British person doing competitive ski jumping! He completed each distance at least 13m behind the second-to-last competitor. He was first a laughing stock, only to become something of a national hero. But he did so badly that the IOC changed the rules - Olympic ski-jump hopefuls now have to compete on the international stage and make decent placings.

SimenLambrecht

Registered
Reaction score
The current question: Do you, or have you ever, had a pet?

I was never allowed to have a dog, and since I'm always moving I can't, even if I live on my own now. But someday, into the future, I will go to the shelter and adopt my new best friend! ;)

SimenLambrecht

Registered
Reaction score
New Year! New Post! New question!

Have you ever made - AND KEPT - a New Year Resolution? What was it, if Yes?

Alas, no resolutions for me.

The book I am working on (also the first one) started as a new years resolution ;)

Katey217

Registered
Reaction score
I've had fish named Guido Cavalcanti, Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish, Scout Finch and Jem Finch, the Indominus Rex and Matt. Currently I have no pets and I'm pretty sad about it.

When I was a kid we had cats named Bonnie, Mindy and Kizzy. I always wanted a dog though.

Pancubuzz

Registered
Reaction score
Favourite underdog story I read as a kid was the Shadow Children series with the first being Among the Hidden. About a world where everyone was only allowed 2 kids so any past that were illegal and would be killed. Of course, the main characters are such illegal children as they (though not intentionally at first) overthrow the government and that law.

One of those stories that I read when I was 10, and now as an adult, I'm sitting here thinking, wow that was actually a pretty dark story??

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
I have pet rats whom—if I leave stray pages around while they're out & I'm writing—will steal and hide them. No joke. It's both funny & annoying.

RebelKimberly

Registered
Reaction score
As an original farm girl from Indiana, animals, and certainly pets, have been a constant in my life until recently. They really don't like to be stuffed in suitcases. Bummer - because I do love them!

triana1326

Registered
Reaction score
I've had pets my entire life. Currently, I have Noelle, a.k.a. Herm, Demon Pussy, or occasionally Bat Cat. She is both brat and adorable-as-hell. If I could afford to have more cats, I'd be very happy. I'm not a dog person, but if I had to have my choice, I'd go with a Great Pyrenes or a St. Bernard (mostly because it can carry my whiskey to me in the evenings).

aryheron

Registered
Reaction score
I have three pets! Three guinea pigs: Derek, Stella and Sansa. They are my babies and eat literally all my veggies so I have a legitimate excuse to eat junk food.

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Do you, or have you ever, had a pet?

I feel like I've had pets most of my life, though there are a few segments which I've gone without. My childhood pet was my cat, Rainy. She was a grey tabby, and Rainy was short for "Rainbow." I was six when we first adopted her as a kitten, and she lived on until I was 20. Now that I'm 24, and since I met my fiancé, I have essentially adopted his cat, Archie. Archie is incredibly cuddly, loving, and altogether uncatlike, save for his never-ending desire to knock objects off of tables.

I have three pets! Three guinea pigs: Derek, Stella and Sansa. They are my babies and eat literally all my veggies so I have a legitimate excuse to eat junk food.

Sansa! I have been wanting to adopt two kittens and name them Sansa and Khaleesi. Now I think I'll let that dream go and think of something else, but my unadopted kitties I've yet to meet remain close to my heart.

Last edited:

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
yes i am a cat person, i like dogs too, but i'm a cat person. like my mother i don't like birds in small cages let them fly around the house or apartment at least

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
totally into underdog...
speed of lightning power of thunder, fighting all who rob or plunder! my mom was an artist and actually drew some cells for it i think, eitherway she had a cell of him flying up fists raised facing the screen

Sarah697

Registered
Reaction score
I have a pug, who is my BABY! Do anyone else's pets help or hinder them when they write? I find mine to be an all-too-easy distraction.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I was a total dog person and horse lover but as a married mom it was cats all the way. As a girl, I liked animals more than people. Hmm, that might still apply...