Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cloak of invisibility. No need to dress for the day. No more restraining orders. :gone:

ZeMegwin12

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the ability to speak any language. I also love to travel and that would make it easier to get around and connect with the people in the area.

SamStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
Total control over water. I could shape it, then freeze it, use it as a weapon or maybe for something practical like a ladder. But I could also heat it, so I could boil out bacteria for drinking or wound cleaning. (This also means I could kill someone pretty easily, but I'm aligned chaotic good, so I would only do that if they really deserved it.)

classyhippie

Registered
Reaction score
Well what is a superpower? is it something one wishes they could do but know we physically and or mentally can't do already? Is it something we see that "superhero's" have but we don't therefore we want it so we can be like them? Does a superpower make us better than we already are, or worse maybe? What if this was a trick question and you said the superpower you wanted and got it! A-hah!! now that is a superpower. Would you then wish to take it back? How about if you knew this was a trick question and maybe asked for something you truly wanted but then you didn't get it. Would you be disappointed or not surprised?

I guess it Is up to the person to decide what a superpower means to them.

I want the ability to astral project with ease.

Marenco

Registered
Reaction score
Well... Considering our world as it is (With no superpower persons), I would like to read peoples minds. It would be very usefull know what everyone is thinking.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
Mind manipulation. Better you don't know why. Fortunately, I'll be able to wipe out your mind.:evil

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
The ability to inflict undeniable empathy on other people. Empathy so strong they couldn't ignore it or drown it out with their own selfish or greedy desires. Because I'm deeply tired that so many people with real power seem to lack this component, and I'd like the universe to over-correct out of caution.
And maybe a wee bit of spite.

Pearly K

Registered
Reaction score
Does magic count as a superpower? 'Cause I'm addicted to fantasy. :hooray:

And when I say magic, I mean I want to be a certain thing in one of the magic systems in one of my books. (Just for clarification, I want to be a 'Light Warrior' which is sort of like an overpowered elf. Also, as a Light Warrior I would be able to turn invisible, turn into a certain few types of plants (Elves in my world are sort of based off of nymphs), be crazy fast and agile, and learn a crazy amount of magic. And develop new magic, which is a big part of why that's the 'superpower' I would want. ;) )

Sorry if that's too much, I might be a bit obsessed...

Last edited:

Pearly K

Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, Stytch, that's a really good one. I guess I'm selfish, I thought about mind reading, invisibility, and then I was like; 'Yeah, it's just magic for me. Can't think of anything better.'

GroovyWordBender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to borrow mine from Douglas Adams, the ability to make everyone instantly understand my point of view.

Kenneth Keltarin

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a new one of these...? Is the topic still super powers?

I'm torn. Between the 14-year-old who got into comics and modern, mid-30s me who has a much more mundane view of the world.

14-year-old-me wants the ability to grow an endoskeletal carapace over my body to protect me from harm, with its own musculature to enhance my physical abilities and natural weapons like claws and chitinous blades (EVEN IN MY MIND I STILL SAY CHEE-tin, not KAI-tin, curse you 14-year-old-brain!).

Mid-30s me just wants flight, for two reasons: I would hope it would make me less anxious about flying, and also I wouldn't have to go on airplanes any more.

Last edited:

inkythoughts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the same vein as others, but I'd love to have the ability to see how other people think. This used to mind-fudge me as a kid. I remember the day so vividly, the first time I understood that I had my own thought processes, and the way I thought about things was not the way other people thought about them, even if we experienced the same thing, ultimately leading us to different conclusions. Which of course then led to the rabbit hole of contemplating the conscious mind and how it worked. Needless to say, I cried a lot as a kid. The world was terrifying to the 5-6 year old me, grappling with the abstract and intangible for the first time. For me, I always had this intense imagery of taffy-pulling when I was trying to think about things slightly beyond my comprehension, as if that's what my mind would look like if anyone could actually see my mind working through the thoughts. I was enthralled by the fact that everyone had a different way of thinking, and I remember wanting to see what it looked like in other people.

Anyway! That'd be my super power. To see the world the way others see it, to have a glimpse into their mind and see how they think about things. Not in an invasive kind of way, like mind-reading. I just have this intense fascination in understanding the way other people's minds work.

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to have the ability to make someone have a heart attack. That way, if someone was being an a-hole, I could just make a couple hand gestures and wham-o! Heart attack! No more a-hole! :greenie

blue manganese

Registered
Reaction score
the problem i have with time travel, is that if i discover it, time travelers won't want me to have it, because i have so many character flaws that some people think that i'm evil (but that's just politics) not because of what i've done, but because of my inaction in response to something happening - i freeze up, and then just follow auto-pilot

as a result, people have gone back in time and sabotaged my character, to the point of them broadcasting their mission success or failure while it was happening, and while i would pretend i couldn't hear them, they would/will justify me not being on the path to discovering time travel

the time travelers don't want too many of my clones (as a result of time travel into multiple and possibly infinite dimensions) roaming around the outside of this timeline, and they basically just wanted to prove that even the best of personalities can be sabotaged

in another timeline, i'm a different person; a leader, and being a popular leader automatically means i have enemies

i just hope the next wave of time travelers understands that i'm not that same leader; in fact, i'm far from a leader, but i believe leaders are trained, not born

p.s. yes i'm deluded, but this is exactly what makes me a great story teller, being able to jump out of reality, and then afterward back in

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to have the ability to make someone have a heart attack. That way, if someone was being an a-hole, I could just make a couple hand gestures and wham-o! Heart attack! No more a-hole! :greenie

Here, take this Death Note and have fun. But, beware of the consequences.

Skylord Pendragoon

Registered
Reaction score
What superpower you say?

Easy. I would want the power to refill things. Honestly best power ever.

If your glass is empty, refill it. Wallet/bank account empty, refill it. If your fridge is empty, refill it. For medical reasons, it can save lives. for personal reasons, you can never go without. Plus, it end world hunger. It can end the need for war. Honestly, best power there is, right under the power to heal others.

Cyan0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
harishdevaraj.blogspot.com
I have a large list. But primarily "Flying" would do.

Who doesn't like to float mid air or travel in a jiggly. Ever feel bored or let down, I could ride myself to the top of the world(literally).

Mutant Llama

Registered
Reaction score
I've always liked the power I had in my dreams, where reality bends to what I'm thinking. I've learned to somewhat control it. Having it in real life would be crazy.

romcoms4me

Registered
Reaction score
I would have the power to personally dethrone the 1% and take most of their money (see making them middle class) and personally hand it out to all the world and families in need personally (but at the speed of light probably too)

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
What superpower would I want?

I think someone else said this as well, but Teleportation. So much time is lost in travel trying to get somewhere. I have a lot of family that lives west and it takes over 20 hours driving time to take the family for a visit. Would love to have the time back to just spend the time with them. That, and we don't have to debate whether or not we want to drive the multiple hours to visit the Great Smokies Mountains. We could just teleport to the visitor center and then spend the day in the wonderful park.

Lilyann Kyle

Registered
Reaction score
I would love the ability to shape shift to any person or animal I want, soar like a bird swim like a dolphin or just become someone else

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
the ability to live inside the world of the stories I read or create. maybe as one of the characters, experiencing their life, their joy, sorrow, happiness or tragedy. or maybe live in it simply as myself as some of those worlds are so interesting I can't help but want to explore them.

i've always wondered the about the characters, whatever they go through, how it actually affects them. sure as empathetic creatures we feel for the characters, but for us, it's simply a story. but for them, its life. we know nothing of how gratifying a moment of happiness for them truly is, nor how harrowing are their tragedies. so i want to see those things first-hand.

and if I could live in those worlds as myself, well i think everyone who's ever read a story has thought of how good it would feel to kick a character whos being a jerk, or smack one who's being foolish, or simply to console those who are going through a hard time, and the many other 'if I was there moments'. besides, all the wonderful superpowers people could imagine, the stories have them all. I could experience them without being worried about the laws of physics of our world.