• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wyrdwood Publications

Karen_Dales

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Wyrdwood Publications and whether or not it would be worthwhile sending them a query?

Thanks!

Karen

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Reading through their website, I'm not impressed.

The site itself has numerous typos and grammos, which doesn't inspire my confidence in their ability to edit a manuscript. And I guess they aren't all that confident, because here's an excerpt from their submission guidelines:

Wyrdwood Publications is not an editing service and will only provide minor editing to your manuscript. The author is expected to have correct grammar and spelling in their manuscript before original submission.

We will comment on or correct the following only:

Awkward transitions, redundancies, hyperbole and any other minor changes.​

We will return the manuscript to you for correcting, marking or noting any errors. The author is responsible for correcting them and resubmitting the manuscript. Think of us as a teacher grading a paper.

The author is responsible for making major changes either by him/herself or with the help of a professional editor.

They then go on to list a couple editors.

More red flags: They list very few titles. Their authors are all fairly new. And yet, several author bios state the authors signed with the publisher two years ago. I also note in passing that person listed as the technical and administrative contact for the website shares the same last name as one of the authors.

Me, I'd give this publisher a pass.

ETA: Ahah. Google's cache of the site shows this interesting bit of information:

Justine has authored five eBooks (so far), in the Fiction and Non-Fiction genres. These eBooks are (or will be) available exclusively on Wyrdwood Publications, under her pen name Edain Duguay.

In other words, the publishing part of Wyrdwood exists mainly for the owner's books. Yet another red flag.

Last edited:

Edain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wyrdwoodpublications.com
Hi there,

Firstly let me state I am the owner of Wyrdwood Publications and one of the authors.

As to Beth's remarks, they are a tad unfair as we are a new business with a website that clearly states we have not finished building it. Hence errors and not many authors at this moment.

We have now got four authors signed up and thirteen in the process of signing up with us and working on manuscripts.

As to the authors signing with us two years ago, they have been working on The Pagan Activist, an online newspaper which we publish. The Pagan Activist has been going for 2.5 years and now has readers in 48 countries.

We welcome any feedback on our new website.

Justine Edain Duguay
Owner of Wyrdwood Publications.com and The Pagan Activist.com

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Hi Edain, and welcome to AW.

Thanks for clearing up the difference in dates.

I hope you can share with us a few particulars about Wyrdwood. For example, I was wondering if you offered advances. Also, what kind of royalties do you offer your authors? Do you sell your books solely from your website, or do you make them available through online bookstores such as Amazon and B&N?

Thanks.

--Beth

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Hmmmm, nothing but crickets.

Well, I checked Amazon to see if Wyrdwood's first novel was available there. No sign of it. Given that a previous version of their page states the book was scheduled for release last Monday, I guess that means the publisher's books will not be available anywhere but their website. And that means that an author who signs with this publisher can't expect to see more than double-digit sales, maybe low three-digits sales, for their book.

Coupled with the lack of editing for the books they acquire, I'd have to say that my first impression was the correct one. Amateur operation. Do not bother to submit there.

Edain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi there,

I have to say you are very quick to judge!

I have been busy all day finishing the website and get the first eBook up for sale, I did not have time to rush in here to answer your questions until now.

In answer to your question, no the first ebook is not anywhere online, except my website.. yet. I am trying to build my business and it is not possible to do it all single handed in one go. As to the change in publication date, that was a problem with the author and has now been sorted.

I may be 'amateur' as you put it and certainly this is a new realm for me but that does not mean I am not able to do the job. Having my newspaper read in 48 countries, tells you I know something about publishing.

For your information I am slightly dyslexic and I find editing anything more than a short article difficult, hence why we have recommended professionals but you just assumed we were not worth anyones time because of it.

As to your questions about royalties, that is private between my authors and I. I will tell you however, that my royalties are more than double the average of print and 50% more than the eBook average.

As to marketing... well, we have only just begun, there are many plans afoot but why should I tell you them now? When you have already decided not to 'bother'.

Are you always so cutting about someone who is trying to help authors get published and help the environment?

Edain

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Hi Edain,

It's nice that you want to help people get published, but warm fuzzies aren't enough for writers who want to launch a career. Right now, I see a company that offers no editing or distribution. If that sounds harsh, I'm sorry.

But I'm quite willing to be persuaded otherwise. What do you have to offer authors (new or established) that sets you apart from other publishers?

--Beth

Edain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi,

Right now you see a company that is just beginning, I never said I would not have our own editors and mass distribution in the coming months... I did say plans are afoot!

As to what I offer, there are a few things I can tell you about now: higher than usual royalites, online only publishing to do our bit for the environment and a tree planted for EVERY 'Green Leaves' eBook we sell.

What we will offer in the future, well... that will be divulged at a later time.

Edain

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would note that it is wise to prepare everything in advance and launch, online and elsewhere, only after web-content etc will create a positive impression. In fact many publishers do not even launch until they have books being released.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
And a year later ... they're still alive and website is much improved.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
They currently accept:

Pagan / Heathen Fiction Genres:

Crime and Detective, Mystery, Horror, Humour, Thriller, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Action/Adventure, Western.

Pagan / Heathen Non-Fiction Genres:

Almanac, Autobiography, Biography, Courses, Diary, Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Essay, History, Journal, Memoir, Philosophy.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
The pagan community tends to be sort of like its own market, I don't think many authors are looking to appeal to anyone outside it. Still, it would be nice to see the experience of the people behind it on the site, and their Editing section does not thrill me.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site gone, last book pubbed July '17.