1 pound of brown sugar
1/2cup sugar
4 eggs
1 cup butter
1 quart applesauce
1 box raisins
1 can of coconut
1 pound of black walnuts
4 cups flour(use 1 cup to roll the raisins and dried fruit in to keep it from sticking together)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons of nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons all spice
2 teaspoons cloves
1 jar of mixed dried fruit
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
sift flour, sugar ,soda together ,place in bowl,roll all the fruit in flour then put all ingredients in bowl .mix well with blender on med for 4 min. the put in a greased tube pan, bake 2 1/2 hours
let cool ..glaze with cream cheese and confectionary sugar.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cynthia, this sounds delicious, but can I make a request? In these days of downsizing, I've found that many of my older recipes that relied on quantities "as packaged" (one can, one box, one jar, etc.) no longer come together like they used to because the manufacturers are controlling costs by putting a little less in every can, box, or jar. (Consider that a jar of spaghetti sauce has dropped from 32 ounces all the way to 26 over the last several years, a decrease of nearly one fifth.)

So before I'd attempt this yummy-sounding recipe, I'd sure love to have measurable quantities on the box of raisins, the can of coconut, and the mixed dried fruit. Any possibility of checking your cupboard and editing your post?

Maryn, thanking you in advance

Cynthia Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Applesauce Cake

I'm sorry. It really doesn't matter so much that it may be a little less. The can of coconut is still around the same . The box of raisins are the medium size box, and the jar of dried mixed fruit doesn't matter if it's a little more or less. If you can't find the jar of mixed fruit, you can find it in the bags of fresh dried fruit ..if i use the bag ..i use 1 1/2 bags ..thats about the size of the jar...but it's a little fresher.
Thanks,
Cynthia
Ps. the next time I make it I will measure. Oh this cake is very heavy after it cooks, you will be surprized! But sooooo good!!!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
What is a can of coconut? Is it coconut milk, cream, or coconut itself? I don't think I can get it if it has the coconut in it.

Cynthia Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
IceRose its a can of coconut.. it's just better than the coconut in the bag ..if you can't find it then use fresh from the coconut or use the bag kind .About 1 cup . If you don't like it too much ,use less if you like it add more.. Ask your grocery store clerk if they have it. I don't like raisins that much so I use less than normal..which is around 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups... I only use 1 cup of raisins.
You should try this though it is the best applesauce cake you will eat ..it is better after it's been in the fridge a day.It has time to get all those flavors soaked in. Be sure to let it cool before dumping it on your cake platter.

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I know for sure we can't get canned coconut around here, but we can get the bagged. Heck, we can't even get the fresh still in the shell coconut (yes I live way out).

I don't like raisins either, so I'll probably end up going with a different kind of dried fruit. This will probably be a recipe I try sometime in January because I just got my encyclopedia of chocolate and will soon be getting a double boiler. :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you sub more raisins in for the other fruit or leave the dried fruit out all together? My household isn't much of a fruit-loving environ.

Cynthia Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Applesauce cake

Deleyanlee,
I have never made it without the fruit. Why don't you try it without it .I have used pineapple chunks and cherries and once I put some fig preserves that I canned in it with pineapple and cherries . Let me know how it turns out ..I would not put too many raisins though. You can make this now and put it in the freezer for Thanksgiving.
Good Luck,
Cynthia

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The recipe sounds delicious. I've made applesauce cake before, but I've always made it with homemade applesauce from fresh Macintosh apples (in late Summer or Fall, when they're ripe I use apples from my own apple tree). It makes quite a difference.