More Change - Obama softens ban on hiring lobbyists

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Boston.com reports that Obama will now allow lobbyists on his transition team, as long as they work on issues unrelated to their earlier jobs.

There is some good news about the plan.
Obama's transition chief laid out ethics rules - which also bar transition staff from lobbying the administration for one year if they become lobbyists later - and portrayed them as the strictest ever for a transfer of presidential power.
but...
During his campaign, Obama declared: "I have done more to take on lobbyists than any other candidate in this race. I don't take a dime of their money, and when I am president, they won't find a job in my White House."
Somehow, this wasn't what I thought he meant by 'Change.' :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Change is incremental. :)

I think a lot of people on both sides are impatient and they expect Obama to make 180˚ changes on many issues, immedidately. If we keep up with this kind of high expectations, Obama is doomed to fail.

As one journalist said recently:

Obama can't do all the things that people wish. He is not Jesus. We can look in a few years and then we can see what happens. I think Americans feel the same. Obama set the bar very high. Not only are those who voted for him waiting and watching and expecting amazing things, but so is the world so badly damaged by the last eight years of Bush's presidency.

... the funny thing is, the guy hasn't even taken the oath yet.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I heard that yes, he can have lobbyists on the transition team, but they CANNOT work in the area they lobby for. So a lobbyist for drug companies can't work on the healtcare part of the transition team, for example. (I don't know if there IS such a thing, just the first example that came to mind).

I think it's better than what we have now. He seems to be sticking to his guns, for the most part, when it comes to 'who runs' his administration.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit uneasy about this. I'd like for him to have stayed pretty tough in this regard (Mind you, his policy is still leagues tougher than the policy on lobbyists of any previous president). But still, he should not waver here. But it was explained to me today that there is some logic here. Many of these lobbyists may also be the most knowledgeable people for different topics during the transition.

Logical or not, i still don't like it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Just a thought: wouldn't it a good thing to hire these highly skilled lobbyists OFF the lobbying to do something else -- something more useful, perhaps?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Just a thought: wouldn't it a good thing to hire these highly skilled lobbyists OFF the lobbying to do something else -- something more useful, perhaps?
No. Then they develop even more connections that allows them to be better lobbyists once they're done. It feeds the lobbyist system.

If someone really wants to minimize the role of lobbyists in the government, the only logical approach is to not deal with or hire lobbyists or former lobbyists.

But standing on principle is a tall order in D.C. For anyone.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
No. Then they develop even more connections that allows them to be better lobbyists once they're done. It feeds the lobbyist system.

But according to this:

A lobbyist could join the administration as long as he or she didn't work on "regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years." He also proposed that political appointees be prohibited from lobbying the executive branch for the remainder of the administration, if they left government.

Sure, nothing says what they could do AFTER Obama leaves office, but still, there seems to be a clause saying they simply can't lobby as long as Obama's in office.

It seems like it may be a good "career path" for the lobbyists to get off lobbying. Kind of like giving drug dealers jobs so they can no longer deal drugs... of course, there will be arguments that the drug dealers will now have more connections once they get back on the street... :)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's disappointing. I don't think Obama will be able to duck this one.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But according to this:

Sure, nothing says what they could do AFTER Obama leaves office, but still, there seems to be a clause saying they simply can't lobby as long as Obama's in office.
Ray, most lobbying takes place in Congress, so the prohibition would be largely meaningless. And I question if it would even be enforceable.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
As Russia has done with the CHEKA, OGPU, GPU, NKVD, and KGB, so here in the USA if lobbyists are "banned" they will merely resurface under another name.

Odure by any other name still smells the same.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
It reminds me of the campaign advertisements sent out by a state representative here who proudly proclaimed that he was the only one in the statehouse who never accepted free meals from lobbyists.

An empty and meaningless thing to claim victory on...being that there was no mention of not taking things like campaign contributions from people trying to influence his (the state rep's) vote.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If a lobbyist can only work in an area they did not lobby in, where is their skill set? It's not experience in the sector/industry.

Is being a skilled lobbyist enough if you have no other practical experience to the job at hand?

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
If a lobbyist can only work in an area they did not lobby in, where is their skill set? It's not experience in the sector/industry.

Is being a skilled lobbyist enough if you have no other practical experience to the job at hand?
They are very much like a used car salesman - the model being sold is always the "best".

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score

If someone really wants to minimize the role of lobbyists in the government, the only logical approach is to not deal with or hire lobbyists or former lobbyists.

But standing on principle is a tall order in D.C. For anyone.

I'm not a big fan of absolutes. The ONLY absolutes I'm aware of are death and taxes.

What are the logical reasons for using lobbyists?

hmmm.... Money and Connections.

Here is the problem with these emotionally charged arguments and gotcha games.

We force the decision into some Binary model. Good or bad. All or nothing.

Every single decision has good and bad in it.

The logical thing (in the utalitarian model) is to weigh both the good and the bad together, and if there is MORE good than bad then you do it.

Now, lets apply this model to what Obama is 'going' to do.

a) Think of all the Money and COnnections Lobbyists have.

b) Think of all the problems that exist in the nation and in Washington.

c) Think of all the ways Lobbyists could help.

d) Think of all the ways Lobbyists could abuse their power and position.

e) Think of all the ways you could 'limit' how lobbyists could abuse their power and position.

Do the math. a - b + (c - d + e) = 0
a + (c - d + e) = b

In this equation, I set the Lobbyists issue against all the problems in Washinington. Ideally, the left side of the equation would be equal to or greater than the right side of the equation. However, as long as the left side of the equation ends up being 'positive' then logically, you should do that action.

Now, where the math gets tricky is in your ability to do 'e' and the value you assign to c and d.

By looking at problems as equations you can take some of the emotion out of it and make an objective choice. You can also see the complexity because some of the equations will not be simple algebraic equations but evolve into more complex ones.

The problem with absolute arguments is that they focus on one variable, and make their decision based on that one absolutist variable and create an absolutist model out of that variable and then try to apply that model to the entire equation.

This is what is the engine for the 'gotcha' game.

Obama has some real problems and the best way for him (and us) to fail is to play these gotcha games.

As a nation, lets give him the SAME SLACK that we gave Bush. Give him a chance, support him, and then after a couple of years we will then have the DATA to see if we were moving in the right direction.

that is my two cents.

Overall, I believe a lot of good can come out of this. It just has to be done in the right way.

Mel...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As I said, "standing on principle is a tall order in D.C. For anyone." That means I take it as a given that politicians will generally not be able to follow through with these kinds of promises.

There's nothing emotional in my my post and I'm not playing "gotcha." The fact of the matter is that Obama is clearly not about to eliminate or even minimize the role of lobbyists--professional or otherwise--in Washington. I'm not disappointed or surprised. Business as usual.

But beyond that, the idea that lobbyists "could help"--your c variable--approaches zero, imo. And the a variable should be a negative, not a positive. So, your equation falls apart in my view.

What is missing is a variable that accounts for the politician's desire to hold on to power.

Also, I don't do utilitarianism, as a rule. But nice post.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
o.png

There we go.