Cornbread

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a recipe here for cornbread which I'm thinking about making soon.

But what do I serve it with? The main or dessert?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I usually serve cornbread as a bread side (sort of like putting a basket of dinner rolls on the table). Some folks serve it as part of the main course.

Unless I've made corn pone (thicker, sweeter, more like cake), I don't usually have it for dessert.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
And cornbread with black-eyed peas, turnip or mustard greens with ham and pot likker, fried okra, creamed corn, stewed tomatoes, succotash, smothered cabbage, mashed sweet potatoes, creamed onions, or all of the above.

Use the leftover cornbread to make a turkey stuffing.
Nom nom nom.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm....some real soul food around here today.

My mother makes pinto beans (like OFG said) with cornbread on the side. My dad would crumble the cornbread over the beans. One of his favorite meals. Didn't do much for me though.

Never heard of it being served as dessert, but I think corn muffins with honey is Yum!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
A real old-fashioned Southern treat is to crumble cornbread into a bowl, douse it with buttermilk and eat it like cereal.

And I NEVER eat chili without cornbread.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
*drools*
one of my fav things....cornbread. even better with with jalapenos in it.

serve it with chili.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Chili. I give a batch of chili and cornbread to any of my friends who are new mothers so they have a nice meal while still settling in at home.

And don't, for the love of dog, put anything in your cornbread besides corn and bread. Not peppers, not onions, not whole kernels.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a recipe here for cornbread which I'm thinking about making soon.

But what do I serve it with? The main or dessert?

That depends upon the style of cornbread. A sweet moist cornbread cooked in an iron skillet over caramelized pecans, pineapple and cherries makes a great pineapple upsidedown cake. A dry crumbly savory cornbread is good over chili. A levened slighlty sweet batter can be made into pancakes. There are as many variations as you want.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Tell you another Southern dish that's even tastier: spoonbread. Like a cornbread souffle. My Granny could make spoonbread that'd make you weep. Add country ham, fried corn, green beans with fatback and new potatoes, peach pie, iced tea, and it's time to cue the Orgasmatron.

Or a defibrillator.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Tell you another Southern dish that's even tastier: spoonbread. Like a cornbread souffle. My Granny could make spoonbread that'd make you weep. Add country ham, fried corn, green beans with fatback and new potatoes, peach pie, iced tea, and it's time to cue the Orgasmatron.
I'll have what he's having. :D

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I use the cornbread recipe from the old version of JOY OF COOKING, and my Oklahoma dad-in-law nearly swoons in delight when I bring him a pan. His 92 year old aunt in Shawnee taught me, always to heat the oil in the pan before you put the batter in. I also cut the sugar by half and he likes it better that way.

Serve with? Red beans and rice, spicy chili, split pea soup. Dad K likes to pour himself a glass of milk late at night, jam a square of cornbread down into it, and eat the mess with a spoon.

But then, he's 85. :Shrug: