Merlin

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
I recently got into Merlin (maybe a few months ago) and watched it all on Netflix, then...found out it was getting canceled. Talk about rain on a parade. The show's silliness is what really pulled me in, as did the characters and the acting and Merlin's enormous ears... but it had a great run. I hope the finale is everything we've hoped for.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I just started watching this series, via Netflix. Coming up at the end of season 1. Have to admit, I'm enjoying it hugely.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
I recently got into Merlin (maybe a few months ago) and watched it all on Netflix, then...found out it was getting canceled. Talk about rain on a parade. The show's silliness is what really pulled me in, as did the characters and the acting and Merlin's enormous ears... but it had a great run. I hope the finale is everything we've hoped for.

I wouldn't be too upset. The creators have been saying for the past five years that they envisioned just five seasons for the show. :) I've been watching since season 1 premiered in the U.S. and I'm looking forward to watching the end in January!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I kind of casually watched a few seasons of Merlin as it aired on SyFy in the US. I enjoyed it. I love stories with The Big Secret--mostly because I love the Big Reveal.

Season 5 is now airing in the US, and though I'm a bit sad it's the last seasons (it's had a good run, actually), I'm really looking forward to the Big Reveal. Oh, and NO SPOILERS on that, please. If there is no Big Reveal, I don't want to know that. I just gotta stick it out a few more months...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching on SyFy now. Kind of hoping that.... (spoilers for those who have not seen season 5 yet)... <<<< That they don't hold off on Merlin telling Arthur who he is until the very end. Ugh. >>>>

It's such a fun show. I love the interaction between Merlin and Arthur. For those still on season 1, it just continues to get better and better.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of casually watched a few seasons of Merlin as it aired on SyFy in the US. I enjoyed it. I love stories with The Big Secret--mostly because I love the Big Reveal.

Season 5 is now airing in the US, and though I'm a bit sad it's the last seasons (it's had a good run, actually), I'm really looking forward to the Big Reveal. Oh, and NO SPOILERS on that, please. If there is no Big Reveal, I don't want to know that. I just gotta stick it out a few more months...

I just started watching this series, via Netflix. Coming up at the end of season 1. Have to admit, I'm enjoying it hugely.

Season 2 is amazing. Oh man. It gives me chills thinking about it. The season finale for season 2 is probably one of the best episodes of genre television that I've seen. Be prepared to get a big, fat nerd-boner.

Oh, and season 2 has Charles Dance as a wizard-hunter in one episode (aka Tywin Lannister on GoT). Lots of GoT peeps guest star now that I think about it. The actors who play Gendry and Davos, too.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Just finished up the show. There were a lot of things I liked about the finale, but it left me wanting more.

Spoilers: I really, really wanted a more dramatic Big Reveal. I really wanted Merlin to stand there, not as the old man but as himself, and let loose with all his power. I get why it was a much quieter moment--because it was between Merlin and Arthur, and the core of the show is their friendship. Still, not entirely satisfying. Also, unquestionably, there needed to be more time following the revelation of Merlin's powers. It's not necessarily that loose ends needed to be tied up, but I felt there should be more than just Arthur recognizing Merlin (I did love the moments between those two). I wanted Merlin to go back to Camelot after Arthur's death (which was, of course, inevitable) and be given his dues. A few moments would have done it for me.

It feels like the creators were cut a bit short and had to wrap everything up in four episodes. Too bad.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
We're now watching this and enjoying a few episodes per night. Now up to season three.

It puzzles me that neither Arthur nor Merlin nor Gaius ever says to Uther at any point when he's being particularly unsympathetic towards those under the spell of magic: "Well, sire, you did marry a troll."

I mean. He married a troll.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
We're now watching this and enjoying a few episodes per night. Now up to season three.

It puzzles me that neither Arthur nor Merlin nor Gaius ever says to Uther at any point when he's being particularly unsympathetic towards those under the spell of magic: "Well, sire, you did marry a troll."

I mean. He married a troll.

Those two episodes are particularly hilarious. And Uther kind of deserved it, really. LOL

I've just finished watching the series on BBC i-player. Okay I know I'm really really late to the party, lol, but I enjoyed the series very much. I feel the same way as angeliz2k in post #82 about the last episode. (Don't read it until you've watched the whole thing, because spoilers) - but on the other hand I can see why they did it that way (again no details because spoilers), because myths and legends.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I would love for the BBC to repeat this on TV, though. I missed much of the first time it was broadcast and unlike many other BBC series, for some reason it never got repeated after the initial run.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Do y'all not get netflix? I suppose countries have different availabilities of titles. I am unfamiliar with the i-player.

Last night we saw Merlin stab Excalibur into the stone. It was the first time I've seen the sword part of the story handled, such that both the Lady of the Lake and the stone were included in the lore. Previously, the various tellings I'd seen had only included one or the other.

Re: spoilers I usually don't mind them, but on this series I am avoiding them, for sure.

I cannot wait for Gwen and Lance's infidelity. Yum.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to check whether Netflix here has Merlin, last year Netflix flushed a great number of BBC series here from their programme list, I suppose, in anticipation of Brexit. But I'll have a look again tonight if perhaps I missed it. Would be nice to finally finish it.

BBC I-player is strictly for UK-residents.