Remembering Lewis Grizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone remember those old Lewis Grizzard books? I found one the other day that I hadn't read in ages. It's amazing how well his humor holds up today. Most southern humorists now feel they have to do the whole "redneck" thing to death and it's kind of killed it for me. Grizzard was a genius, he didn't need any gimmicks. I'm not an enormous fan of "southern comedy" but I make exception for Grizzard. He played the "southerner" role without the redneck gimmick.

Do people still publish the kind of compilation books that he once did? Is there still a market for books that are just jumbles of stories and the like? Any good examples of such books?

Last edited:

humorman

Registered
Reaction score
There is a very small market for the type of book that Grizzard was famous for. I find that very hard to swallow when you consider that humor is so necessary in this world.

I have tried to get an agent for this type of book many times. I have received some responses but most of them tell me that the offers from publishers would most likely not be rolling in.

The reason being is that one needs a famous name. Grizzard, Bombeck and Barry, the 3 big names in humor, all started with syndicated newspaper columns and used that to build a following.

I agree with you on the style of Grizzard as well. He was an amazing humorist with a style all his own. His stand up comedy is also great. I have found a few of his works in local libraries and they are awesome to listen too.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems to me the main reason these books were published is because he was already well-known for his newspaper columns. If you're a "personality" in a medium outside of books, the chances of getting a book published go up greatly.

Syndicated talkshow host Neal Boortz wanted to write a book on, of all things, taxes, and tells the story of how he and the publisher agreed that, since they didn't really expect a book on taxes to sell that well, that he'd sign a two-book deal. "The Fair Tax Book" co-written with US Congressman John Linder turned out to be a best-seller. Boortz' second book of the deal was "Somebody's Gotta Say It" appears to have done well, though perhaps not as well as the Fair Tax book. That book is a collection of mostly-unrelated chapters ranging from his persona and political views to reminiscences of his earlier days in talk radio (the "cat catching contest" episode is hilarious), and doing other activities such as flying a hot-air balloon.

It seems most every radio talkshow host you've heard of has published at least one book. And there are many others who had their "fifteen minutes of fame" and got a book publishing deal out of it. Lisa Beamer's "Let's Roll!" comes immediately to mind.

Sure, there are unknowns who get published, and some of those books become popular, but having a large audience in another medium obviously greatly increases one's chances. If you're going to write "a book" like that, you may want to write and submit "sections" of it to newspapers to see if you can get any published, and especially see if you can get a regular column.

Another "humorist" perhaps along the likes of Grizzard is Ludlow Porch, who did talk radio decades ago (as mostly non-political, I vaguely recall listening to him back them), may have also been a newspaper columnist, and who published several books, but he was perhaps popular only around Atlanta, whereas Grizzard achieved a wider audience. One Porch title I recall is "Can I just do it until I need glasses?"

humorman

Registered
Reaction score
I agree Ben. You certainly hit the nail on the head.

I have found that many publishers and agents are looking at the books from a marketing angle more so then the quality or content of the book.

One agent responded to my query with the following:

"I will read your book but to be honest trying to sell humor is like trying to sell old computers."

While I was discouraged, I still maintain that humor is necessary in this life and wish everyone well that wants to write it.

Attempting to get started in a local newspaper seems to be a good thing. Erma Bombeck started out writing obits and weather (which she referred to as her first fiction works) and Grizzard was actually a sports writer if memory serves. Dave Barry was a beat writer before being "discovered" by the Herald.

Few papers that I have found actually carry any kind of humor column. Some make an attempt but the humor is not the type that will carry over and many people believe that the only thing that is funny has to do with sex and foul language like you hear from many stand up comics.

I believe that it takes someone special to make something completely ordinary, like breakfast, into a topic of great laughter. That is why I am trying to develop a column for my local newspaper. It may not get noticed by the syndicates, but I am hoping that it will give me the basis I need for another book to be published.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Amen and Amen. I've tried to work a local humor column deal, but the papers around here seem to want to groom somebody they already have to do a humor-type, human non-interest thing. I agree with you guys about the quality of that. The reasoning for staying in-house is, of course, money.

Ben, wasn't Ludlow Porch related to Lewis Grizzard? I go on a Grizzard binge every now and then and it seems like I remember him touching on that fact. 'Course my porch light burned out long ago, so I might be dim on the matter.

humorman

Registered
Reaction score
Why am I remembering Ludlow Porch as being a step-brother to Grizzard? I could be mistaken.

humorman

Registered
Reaction score
You are very welcome. If I recall correctly Ludlow Porch was quite a joker. From what I remember he was a witness at one of Grizzard's weddings, a quick thing that happened in someone's home. Porch was to book a train for Grizzard and his new wife for their honeymoon. His joke on that was to get them one of the sleeping units that is shared with many other people rather than a private room. I think that might have been the last marriage Grizzard actually had before he died though he was engaged when he went in for the last heart surgery.

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
I adore Lewis Grizzard. He's one of my favorites. I recently reread, "Elvis is Dead and I don't feel so good myself". Classic.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I used to read a Texas writer named H.B. Fox when I was a kid. He wrote Dirty Politics is Fun and The 2000 Mile Turtle. I guess he was a U.S. Congressman for a while, too.

For me, Dave Barry's writing style, is perhaps the best next to Hunter S. Thompson. He had a wonderful method for sarcasm and wit.

Reaction score
Hello All,

New guy here. Just wanted to recommend Christopher Moore if you haven't read him yet. The guy is pretty amazing. One of the funniest authors I've read, aside from HST.

Status
Not open for further replies.