Please Use Photobucket!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
We're having a discussion over in the Royalty Thread about photos, because one of our favourite threads was locked by Mac yesterday. Apparently, folks were hotlinking to pics, and it caused two problems.

1) It's a bandwidth hog, and Mac (and ultimately we) have to pay for the bandwidth we use. It also causes loading problems for anyone with less than the most expensive internet services, which is a lot of us.

2) Some sites don't like hotlinking (it uses their bandwidth, too), so in order to teach the hotlinker a lesson, they redirect the link to "naughty" pictures, or other inappropriate material, though some just link to a message that says, "No hotlinking allowed."

There is a way around it. You can, for absolutely no cost whatsoever, sign up for an account at Photobucket.com. Then when you see a pic you'd like to post, right click on the pic. Save the pic to your computer. Upload the pic from your computer to your photobucket account. When it appears in your photobucket album, you'll see a bunch of tags below it. Copy and paste the [ img ] tag, and the photo will appear in glorious colour (unless it's black and white) in your post.

Another way to do it, especially for material that's copyrighted, is to post a link that will lead to the page the photo is on when clicked. That's also good for material that's NSFW.

But please, let's stop the hotlinking.

This has been a public service announcement, which Mac can sticky or delete at her whim. Thank you for your time.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Yeshanu, for posting this! I learned something new.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oone added piece of info if you are concerned about downloading photos to your computer you can copy the URL go to photbucket and click the globe that says URL and it will give you places to paste the URL to directly copy the picture to photobucket without downloading to you computer. Then click the IMG tag

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
But photobucket SUCKS.

Never had a problem with imageshack though.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
As writers, we should write the 1,000 words instead of resorting to posting a picture!

-Derek

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Derek, you've got 1000 words to make me see the image in your avatar. Go!

Maryn, throwing down the gauntlet

Deleted member 42

You don't have to use Photobucket; any image hosting site is fine.

But do try to make the image file size smaller--there are an awful lot of folk on AW that still use dial-up, and a single image in a thread can take four or five minutes if it's a large file.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, could you post step-by-step instructions for making the image file size smaller? I'd love to be able to do that, but I need someone to teach me. :D

Thanks in advance...

Deleted member 42

Lisa, could you post step-by-step instructions for making the image file size smaller? I'd love to be able to do that, but I need someone to teach me. :D

Thanks in advance...

I use a Mac, Yeshanu, and so it wouldn't do you any good.

Plush, the instructions depend on the application, even on Windows.

The goal is to change the number of pixels, and hence the maximum visible size, and, consequently the size of the file in kilobytes/megabytes.

There are some free applications.

Some you download; Picasa from Google is one of those. There are others.

Some are free and work on the Web, with just a Web browser:

I've used Picnik.

Online Image Editor is another option.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you're a Windows user you can even use dumb ol' MS Paint to reduce the image size (Start > Programs > Accessories > Paint).

Just open the jpg or bmp file, select Image > Resize/Skew and reduce the Horizonal and Vertical percentages. If it's a biggie that goes right off the edge of the screen then try 25% -- if the pic is still too big, or it's become too small, you can always undo with Ctrl-Z or Edit > Undo and try again with a different % value.

If you need to keep the original pic, remember to File > Save As a new filename.

-Derek

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You can downsize your photos right on Photobucket. Not sure about other webapps such as flickr, etc. But in Photobucket, you can resize the pictures to a few pre-defined sizes -- good for web posting, I suppose.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Photobucket works fine for me, though it has some worrisome issues. If you use it and don't want everybody and their brother making prints of your pics, you must make sure your account is set on private; private is not the default setting. :(

Thanks so much for that info, Dawn. I will go set my account on private ASAP, if it isn't already.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
My version of MS Office has an app called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It's a very simple tool for a number of basic photo editing needs. I can adjust color, contrast, crop, resize...it's pretty handy. Usually if I save an image to the desktop and then right click on it I get an option to 'open with' and MS Office Picture Mgr is one of the options listed.

If you've got the app, you might give it a try.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
how risky is it to download photos from the internet to your desktop,
compared to working online with them, by using the methods above?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I also use Mac :) and I have a nifty little thing (it's Apple Automator, kind of like Apple Script) called ResizeIt, that automatically resizes any pictures and put them in a specific folder. Really cool.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks for the information, now I feel a bit responsable of the thread-locking and all other pics I have posted before :(

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the invaluable information, all of you. I'm a total dweeb on PC's and thought I'd learned something brilliant when someone left instructions on a thread how to right click and copy a picture's location. Set us straight again sometime Yeshanu, I've learned lots.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Y'all should be aware that photos/images are copyright protected just like written words. So if you take someone's photo/image, unless they give you permission and/or their copyright notice indicates that it's okay for you to take it and use it, you're stealing. Just like someone taking your words is stealing.

Please check the copyright notice for each photo/image. If it's not immediately obvious or there's no visible copyright notice, then please ask the owner of the image first.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, now I feel a bit responsable of the thread-locking and all other pics I have posted before :(
Now that you know better, you're on the road to improvement. :)

L M Ashton said:
Y'all should be aware that photos/images are copyright protected just like written words. So if you take someone's photo/image, unless they give you permission and/or their copyright notice indicates that it's okay for you to take it and use it, you're stealing. Just like someone taking your words is stealing.

Please check the copyright notice for each photo/image. If it's not immediately obvious or there's no visible copyright notice, then please ask the owner of the image first.
That's why the pictures I post in the caption contest come from US government sites. And I double check just to make sure, too.