Stephen King's On Writing: Is It Worth Buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezc_19

Registered
Reaction score
What does Stephen King talk about in "On Writing"? I've heard some very good things about it, is it really a must buy? I'm leaning towards ordering it, I'm just trying to see if anyone else has found it useful.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got it because when someone is as successful as Stephen King and is willing to talk about his process, I figured it was worth a few buck to see what he had to say.

While I didn't really get into his autobiography (though it was interesting to see where he came from) in the first part of the book, his views on how to write were very interesting and somewhat, to my thinking, contraversial. He said some things that totally clicked and reaffirmed what I was doing and he said other things I totally disagreed with.

Personally, I don't think it was a waste of time or money to get it and I do find myself going back to reread the second half (where he talks about writing and his process) from time to time.

A "must have"? Totally depends on you, but it's on my keeper shelf.

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
I love it and my favourite part is the autobiography. I don't agree with all his views on writing and other books offer better advice, but his autobiography entertained me more than all his fiction books and the movies based on them put together.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
His views on writing, the writing process, and the power of good writing were insightful and re-affirming for me. It stays on my keeper shelf.

Telstar

I create people
Registered
Reaction score
I like it. Good to have.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I borrowed it from our library and read it cover to cover in a few hours. I, too, preferred the autobiography/memoir part. Since I'm helping someone write about a year in her life, I'd like to have King's book for reference. He told anecdotal stories and tied them together well, which is what I want to do.

I plan to buy it even though I've already read it.

ETA: Most of his writing tips you can find on Uncle Jim's thread here (FREE!).

Last edited:

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
I learned a lot about Stephen King, but very little about what is really acceptable in today's writing market. I believe many of the rules of writing have changed a great deal since King came into fame. His views are of what made him successful, and will not necessarily work for others.

I do admire him greatly for his accomplishments. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Call, look online, or go to your local library. There's a copy in my small rural-area library, so I would imagine there would be a copy in yours as well.

I don't know that it's a "must have" but a lot of people seem to like it. I think he's clear (as I think many writers writing on writing are) that he writes about how HE writes, not neccesarily how other successful writers write, or how YOU should write. I know I (NOT a successful writer yet...) couldn't write with Bachman-Turner Overdrive blaring out of the stereo.

I got rather bored with all the little points/vignettes about his life that make up the first half of the book, but later on he tells a dramatic story of a guy walking down a road who gets hit by a van driven by a drunk driver and nearly dies...

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the little vignettes. Funny and enchanting.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found it an interesting and enjoyable read, particularly re the biographical details but I can't say it made me jump about, shouting 'Eureka'.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
...but I can't say it made me jump about, shouting 'Eureka'.

And I think that's the value of the book. No writing book is going to give you the secret weapon to writing success, especially when they claim to. King was quite honest about what his book was set to achieve, and it wasn't the bullshit that other books on writing tend to be filled with.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. And it shouldn't be read as if it were going to provide a 'Eureka'.

And I think that's the value of the book. No writing book is going to give you the secret weapon to writing success, especially when they claim to. King was quite honest about what his book was set to achieve, and it wasn't the bullshit that other books on writing tend to be filled with.

Deleted member 42

It's very good--and I'll be using to teach with, since much of what King says applies to any sort of writing, even non-fiction.

And your local library will have at least one copy.

Shadow Paetz

Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King isn't God, but he's good. Lots of valuable insight into his method of writing, but each person should take every bit of advice with a grain of salt. What works for King may not work for you. Just like any other writing book, just get what you can out of it and use common sense to determine what might work for you and what might not.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have a couple copies of this book. One paperback that I'm willing to lend out and one hardback that I'm not. I love it. He's one of my favorite writer's, so I loved the autobiographical part of the book. I've actually read that part several times. He's very clear in stating that what works for him may not work for you, but it's all he knows. I highly recommend buying this book.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It didn't do much for me. It was interesting enough to read once, but I've never been inclined to revisit it. I'd suggest checking it out from the library first.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with C A Winters and Scribhneoir.

I enjoy King's fiction, but I think this book is overrated. Borrow it if you can, but don't waste your money. There is far better advice available free on the Internet.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I read it a while back, and remember the advice was good, but no better than many other writing books.

What really stuck with me is the fact that he once used poison ivy leaves out in the woods for toilet paper.:e2faint::e2faint:

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
What stuck with me was the story about whilst he and Tabby were working those shitty jobs, paying to look after sick kids, he kept writing in that laundry room, he never gave up. And then one day he got a call from his publisher saying the paperback rights to Carrie were sold for a handsome sum of money, he collapsed on the floor and cried.

That for me is so motivating whenever I read that story.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I have it. I think it's worth it. You can get it pretty cheap though on Amazon or a local used-book store.

Status
Not open for further replies.