Today's network problems - split from the "email" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get an email but when I tried clicking on Absolute Write this morning I was taken to a Web domain that was part English/part Japanese, telling me I had to renew my account and every time I tried getting onto AW, the same thing happened. I wrote down the 800 number, thinking I'd have to call during my lunch.
I'm glad to see everyone again -

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Many folks saw that domain message thing for a few hours today. (I didn't, every time I visited AW I got in just fine!) I think we're still trying to figure out what the heck happened.

Edit: it would help if I checked my mail. Looks like it was a specific network problem outwith AW's control, it's been identified and corrected.

-Derek

Last edited:

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Phew! That was scary. So glad Network Solutions hadn't kidnapped AW and held it for ransom!

Welcome back. :hooray:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Actually I was a little premature... seems like some folks are still having problems when clicking on some links, as if the index has been screwed up somehow (totally wild guess). The Powers That Be are aware of the problem. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-Derek

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having problems off and on all day, but haven't gotten an e-mail

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It's been suggested that clearing your browser's cookies, cache and history, and trying again, might help.

This is one occasion where I wish I was experiencing the same problem so I could try stuff out and see what happens, but alas every time I've visited AW everything's been A-OK (even when folks were PM'ing and emailing me to say they were having problems). Sorry!

-Derek

Deleted member 42

It's a DNS Propagation issue, caused by a problem outside our control.

Fixed now; all better, but it may take your ISP a while to update.

Clear your Web browser cache.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get an email but when I tried clicking on Absolute Write this morning I was taken to a Web domain that was part English/part Japanese, telling me I had to renew my account and every time I tried getting onto AW, the same thing happened. I wrote down the 800 number, thinking I'd have to call during my lunch.
I'm glad to see everyone again -
No, don't ever call such a phone number. Google it, and see if it shows up in scam reports. This could just have been a net.glitch, but your showing up at some "renew your account" website instead of AW makes me suspect some nefarious attempts at net.abuse.

Ben, quantum mechanic and conspiracy theorist.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I got it ALL DAY at work. Home now, and connected right away. Any typos tonight are not my fault: I'm seriously twitching from AW withdrawal! Please, computer gods, fix AW so I can access it tomorrow!

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
This could just have been a net.glitch, but your showing up at some "renew your account" website instead of AW makes me suspect some nefarious attempts at net.abuse.

I, too, landed at some "renew/buy this domain" site. Didn't notice any Japanese connection though.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having problems all day, and they ain't got nothing to do with AW.

First, I've got this...hey! Where's everybody going?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I promise that Absolute Write hasn't been taken over by renegade Thai Vodka salesmen. :) I own the domain for the next five years, already - but there was a domain host change that I didn't expect to create DNS problems, but it did.

Sorry about that, folks. I didn't mean to scare everyone.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe.

I greased like lightning over to that old "Absolute Write is gone" thread on Making Light to cry for help. I wasn't the only one :tongue

Shamisen

Mother of Pog!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so glad to see this is sorted. For 2 days I couldn't access, got the Thai/English 'Would you like to purchase this domain' message and was internally screaming, "But I've only just found this site, and now it's gone!!! How will I cope?!"

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA -seems okay now -weird.

I had no problems accessing the site over the last few days, but (and it may just be a temporary glitch with my machine) I'm finding moving about within the Forums a tad slower today than normal.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The problems are continuing. I haven't been able to bring up more than a page or two for the past 24 hours, and I haven't been able post or send a PM. I hope this post gets through.

:rant:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm *still* not seeing problems or delays anywhere. All I'm doing is clicking on my "Favorites" link (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php) as usual, which gets me here every time.

I'm using IE7 under Windows Vista. I didn't clear my browser cache (didn't need to, wasn't experiencing problems).

Has everyone who's having problems cleared their cache and restarted their browser and tried accessing the Cooler via the forums link above?

-Derek

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I had trouble all day yesterday. Cleaned out everything I could think of. Browsed in IE and Firefox. I'd be able to read and post for maybe 3-5 minutes at a time then I couldn't get in for 2 hours. BUT - looks normal today.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I was able to access last night with only occasional glitches, but this morning -- got the "domain expired" page again.

Has anyone checked into whether it's an AOL thing? I'm outside AOL now, and can get here, but couldn't get in with AOL, even after clearing the cache. Here's where I kept getting re-directed:
http://absolutewrite.com/?n=3119095...,&referer=http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums

ETA: Also, there was a "pop-under" ad, kolmic.com, that showed up when I tried hard-refreshing (control + refresh). Dunno if that matters, but thought I'd mention it.

JD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.