Old, tired clichés.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyelash

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before or recently.
I was wondering, as writers of Romance and Womens fiction, what are the cliches you avoid and that you hate reading in other people's work?
Maybe it's not even a cliche, maybe it's just a really overdone storyline or a character stereotype, anything like that. Please share!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I HATE it when the woman is some strong, independent woman who repeatedly resists the man she's attracted to and denies it when she realizes she's in love with him until the very end. I know that's a big plot, but change it up somehow. I hate that cuz I wanna roll my eyes.

I'm a woman, and as such I can't imagine being so stupid and stubborn.

So many writers make them that way.

kimb68

Registered
Reaction score
Where to start?

- Hero with scarred back
- Heroine kissing aforementioned scarred back
- Hero busting into heroine's room because she's screaming from a nightmare, only to realize that she's wearing nothing but a flimsy negligee...
- Nightmares as a plot device
- Hero assuming based on minimal evidence that heroine is a tramp, which makes him furious, even though he himself will bonk anything that moves
- Hero's first wife is or was an unmitigated bitch from hell with no redeeming qualities whatsoever
- Heroine struggling to keep her small business afloat, usually a "girly" business that in real life would have tenuous income potential at best: pet rescue, bakery, perfume shop, personal shopper, matchmaker
- Oh dear, we're both soaked from this sudden storm! Let's duck into this abandoned, but furnished, cabin and remove our clothes so that we can combine our body heat to stay warm!
- Chiseled anything
- Hero assuring wide-eyed heroine that yes, in fact, it'll fit
- The secret baby conceived after a single night of sex at age 17
- Heroine getting turned on by cutting hero's hair

Give me more time and I'll think of a dozen more.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
A heroine with a gay best friend. Make the character different and not the stereotypical gay man, please.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "Big Misunderstanding".

Secret Baby plots.

She is supposed to be "feisty" but she's just a bitch.

Alpha Males who are really just A-holes.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I will never, ever understand the "secret baby" plot.

Sexually-experienced hero and virgin heroine. Hello, we're in the 21st century here.

Billionaire heroes. Silhouette Desire, are you listening?

Successful but emotionally cold heroines (at least until the hero comes along).

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
"So big.... it can't possibly fit..."

*headdesk* every time

The stupid misunderstands that can be cleared up with simple, direct communication.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I could turn this into a whole drinking game, but then we'd all die of alcohol poisoning.

My most loathed virginity cliche is where the hero is really turned on by the idea of getting first crack at the pinata. Bonus points if the heroine is described as "pure", "innocent", "unspoiled" or "fresh" (the last one makes me think of tampon commercials).

Regarding pregnancy cliches, there's the one where the heroine thinks she's barren and therefore Less Of A Woman and she wants babies so badly. Joy, it turns out to be her evil dead first husband who was infertile! Bonus points if the epilogue shows her with five adorable children and pregnant with six more.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I'm getting queasy just reading this thread.

I'll add mine-- male & female MCs Too Stupid To Live.

You know who you are.

We must not allowed them to pass on their genes.

RE the billionaire heroes. I don't like them either, but apparently they sell to some large market share. Kinda like Cassie Edward's plagiarization-plagued Native Americans Indians.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The happiness = baby cliche in its myriad forms. Bleah, not always and not for everyone.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
"So big.... it can't possibly fit..."

I'd laugh if one time I read about a virgin who said that, got reassured by Hero Who Probably Falls Forward a Lot, and it turns out it really doesn't fit.

Or maybe the Heroine's Mum told her it was a good thing to say to the Hero to pump his ego?

I think I might scrap my ( no not secret, just unexpected) pregnancy angle in the WIP now though. :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The single tear.
He thinks she's not a virgin but she really is and he's all surprized in the middle of sex.
Mantitty on covers.
Precocious children.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
RE the billionaire heroes. I don't like them either, but apparently they sell to some large market share. Kinda like Cassie Edward's plagiarization-plagued Native Americans Indians.
Good freaking lord who buys the billionare heros?? The appeal of those vapid, plotless pieces of crap are absolutely beyond me.

I refuse to submit anything to harlequin until they stop printing them.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
More cliches, this time about contraception (or the lack thereof) :

Hero and heroine have unprotected sex and never, ever think of pregnancy. Bonus points if this leads to the Secret Baby, and if the hero learns of the child's existence and jumps to the conclusion that the heroine Did It with the Evil Other Man.

That ruined The Thorn Birds for me, by the way. What, the guy couldn't even do the math? He could have taken his pants down if he needed to count to eleven.

Heroine is living in a time when pregnant unmarried women were shunned, so she has unprotected sex with the hero while refusing his marriage proposal. Bonus points if he continues to think of her as intelligent.

Hero doesn't want to have children, so he relies on the heroine to use protection. You all know what happens next.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to add something but I'm laughing too hard at what everyone else has said. This thread is better than chocolate and I'm all for making it a drinking game.

And I know these aren't cliche, but in historical romances do you ever think about:
What her legs look like. I mean, can we say hairy?
Same goes for underarms.

On to cliches:
teasing her nipple, taut nipples, hardened peaks, rosebud nipples
any reference to anything about manhood
number of climaxes (or are they just getting to the good part and backing off, again and again)
forced sex of any kind

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sensual hair wash is yummy. Hair trimming is just itchy.

Oh yes, I hate the heroine who is supposed to be brilliant (everyone says so) but is TSTL (too stupid to live) and runs around putting herself in danger. She knows that a crazy villian wants to kidnap her, but she insists on standing in harm's way. Moron.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually seen silky legs in historicals. Not smooth, but silky. I guess it must have been referring to the hair. lol.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Don't get me started on the climaxes. Especially when they both climax at the same freakin' time like clockwork.

ETA: I thought of another cliche that always elicits a :Wha: from me: a marriage of convenience in a contemporary romance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.