Cover of T. Kingfisher's Paladin's Grace

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

online thriller school

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Morality and Religion

Threaded View

Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Morality and Religion

Moderator's Note: This thread was split from the Bible Code thread as it is a separate discussion of morality and religion. I think it's interesting and important enought to stand on its own.

I can not help but wonder what it is that makes people believe so implicitly in any form of sacred text. It is simply a history or the history of the mythology of mankind's beliefs. There's nothing magical in it. The words may lead one to feel inspired or they may not.

I also always wonder why people feel the need for "proof" of a divine being. If we are accountable for our own actions and we aspire to a particular moral code then certainly it doesn't matter if there is a god watching over us.

If they could prove tomorrow that the Bible, Torah or Koran were nothing more than the ramblings of human beings and that there was no god, no messiah, no prophets only imaginings, would we in fact change how we live our lives? Do we have the conviction of our beliefs without the influence of religious practices? Are we who we say we are or are we living a pretense?
    Last edited by Roger J Carlson; 09-18-2008 at 04:39 PM.

"The key to writing success is perseverance, don't get discouraged,
    write from the heart and what emerges will be worthwhile." ~Author Bob Lee

Writing My Way