Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Interesting. While messing around trying to find a way to get rid of blobs but keep rep comments, I discovered that user ranks can be automatically assigned to user groups.

What that means is that people in certain user groups can all have the same words or image under their titles. I've now set it so mods, supermods, and admins have a rank defined-- this way, they don't need to use the word "mod" in their titles for people to be able to identify them.

It DOES give us a possibility for what others were asking in place of blobs-- for people like Jim, Victoria, James, etc. who are well-published members to be able to have a "rank" that designates them as such. I'd have to put them into their own usergroup, then give that a rank. Problem is that it's a lot of manual work and kind of debatable who belongs in the group.

But! I'm certainly open for comments and suggestions about it. Do we want a rank that designates the "pros"? If so, what do we call it and who belongs in the group? Just the few people we all agree on, or anyone who's been published in any form? (That could be most of the people on the board, and an awful lot of work for me.)

Thoughts. Share 'em!

Deleted member 42

JennaGlatzer said:
It DOES give us a possibility for what others were asking in place of blobs-- for people like Jim, Victoria, James, etc. who are well-published members to be able to have a "rank" that designates them as such. I'd have to put them into their own usergroup, then give that a rank. Problem is that it's a lot of manual work and kind of debatable who belongs in the group. !

Honored elders?

Veterans?

Tribal Sage?

AW Sage?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sounds like a great idea. Kind of a way to show the newbies who the experts are. Jim should be in his own group! How about... 'Absolute Expert'

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Your panel of experts should be a set and fixed number of faithful. The ones that you know to be credible and contributing. That way, the competition to attain that status is eliminated by any others that come on board. When one of the experts step down, then YOU and your assistant should select a replacement. Number one requirement should be they are published authors.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like that, KTC! "Absolute Expert" has the right cachet.

And I agree with you Ann, this group should be by appointment. Perhaps Jenna, myself and the mods could discuss nominees and Jenna could make the final choice. I would envision starting out with a core group including Uncle Jim and a few other key professionals.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I like Absolute Sage! Or Absolute Pro?

"Expert" makes me think of snotty comebacks.

This was partly fueled by Hermit's thread asking who Uncle Jim was and the PA newbie who wanted to know what gave us the right to talk, considering she thought we were all unpublished. I'd love to have a thread in the FAQs where some of the published veterans give short bios, so anyone who's curious can see who they're talking to and why people take so-and-so's advice seriously.

Good idea? Bad idea?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
(P.S. Wouldn't just be for published authors. We also have some pro editors, an agent, publishing lawyer, etc. who I'd see in that category.)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, that wasn't my initial take on "Absolute Expert," but your point is well taken, Jenna. "Absolute Sage" I quite like. Same kind of cachet, while sounding a little friendlier, and much less chance of being seen as "snooty."

Including the editors, lawyers and publishers in this group is a great idea. It should encompass professionals from all areas of the writing biz.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I like absolute sage! It has a nice ring to it!

Deleted member 42

I'd want to avoid pro--it's slang for prostitute, and, well, I won't go there 'cause I don't wanna shock Zazz.

Plus "professional" is bandied about a lot these days "Please cultivate professional work habits," etc.

You probably don't want to use "AW" or "Absolute Write" for legal reasons, since you/Jenna/AW don't want to be held responsible in case some idjit sues Uncle Jim for gaining weight practicing BIC whilst eating Lime Merringue pie . . .

But why not Absolute Shark? Absoute Yog (for Yog Sysop?)

I too like Absolute Sage, I confess.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
JennaGlatzer said:
(P.S. Wouldn't just be for published authors. We also have some pro editors, an agent, publishing lawyer, etc. who I'd see in that category.)

Right, but they are connected to the publishing field and considered pros. You know what I meant. LOL

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
Absolute Sage is a great term for people like Uncle Jim and Ms Strauss who both have a distinguished career and contribute abundantly to the board here.

Perhaps there might be another category for those who are published and have been involved with the process for at least a decade. (Contingent on being known to Jenna or otherwise vetted.) Veteran of the Submission Wars or some such? Arguably it might include agents (such as Andy Zack) or editors, recognizing the value of the perspective from the other side of the fence.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The thing I'd have to add here would be a check-in with such folk who would be receiving these extra titles (aside from designated groups like mods) to make sure they want them.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, it's me, the wet blanket. Hermit and the PA lady were informed pretty quickly about the backgrounds of the people they spoke of. Are you sure this new feature is worth the extra work? Some of the stars here are modest about their accomplishments (see the point katiemac made). People can put their publishing histories and other credits on their profile pages if they want to.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Wet Blanket.

reph said:
Hello, it's me, the wet blanket. Hermit and the PA lady were informed pretty quickly about the backgrounds of the people they spoke of. Are you sure this new feature is worth the extra work?

Yeah, because for every one who actually asks, there are a lot more who don't ask but want to know. (I know, 'cause they send me PMs.) And we go through it pretty often, especially in the PA thread, when someone new comes in and asks, "Who are all you people and why should I believe you?"

Some of the stars here are modest about their accomplishments (see the point katiemac made). People can put their publishing histories and other credits on their profile pages if they want to.

I know. Jim's a modest pain in my butt and Hapi still wants to be anonymous. ;) But, my own opinion is that if you're going to give advice, people have a right to know at least in an abridged way that you know what you're talking about through experience.

I have no problem telling people what my credits are-- not to be a big ole' showoff, but to give them context. Not one of us can claim to be an expert in all areas. I'm well-experienced with nonfiction books, articles, and greeting cards; reasonably experienced with children's books; and a rank amateur with adult fiction. Others have completely different experience.

If we do a "Who are the sages?" thread, of course it would be optional to participate, but I think it would be nice to at least give a couple of sentences to let people know what each of their areas of expertise are.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Can columnists and other kinds of writers be sages, or will the emphasis be on book publishing?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
reph said:
Can columnists and other kinds of writers be sages, or will the emphasis be on book publishing?

I think the focus will be on experienced, published writers whatever the media. Most will have books under their belt but that doesn't mean they don't also have experience with essays, columns, short stories etc. I don't think many will quibble with the first batch of AW sages.

Status
Not open for further replies.