Select Comfort Sleep# Bed - LOVE bed, HATE company!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, I've had enough. I was going to post this in TIO, but for some reason I can't post... mods feel free to move if this is a bit too rant-y.

I cannot believe this. Anyone considering buying a Sleep Number Bed - yes, they are incredibly comfortable and way better than the crappy bed we were sleeping on before.

BUT THE COMPANY ITSELF SUCKS. BIG TIME.

You wanna know what happened? Here's what happened.

1. Bought bed. Bed is delivered exactly 2 weeks later. We PAID to have them come in and set it up themselves so we did not have to deal with the innards AND to take away our old mattress. They did so. Everything looked fine.

2. I go to sleep that evening. 2 hours later, I'm sitting on the box under the bed. The air chamber beneath me is completely deflated. My husband's side is 50% down. We take the bed apart to try to figure out the problem. At 3 AM we still can't figure it out. Since this is our ONLY BED, we get to sleep the night on our couch/futon, which is definitely not big enough for two people.

3. Go down to the store where we bought it in the morning. They say it is a "customer service" problem so I will have to call the customer service line. I say, and exactly how long is it going to take them to fix our bed, while BOTH OF US ARE SLEEPING ON THE COUCH?

4. Guy from store comes to house. By this point we've confirmed that both the air chamber on my side AND the air pump are faulty. Guy replaces air pump with a used one from the store, which fixes hubby's side of the bed. Tells me he has no air chambers so I will have to call customer service.

5. I call customer service. It's closed. Hubby spends another night on the couch while I sleep on his side.

6. I call customer service the next morning. It is busy for about an hour, so I have to keep calling repeatedly before I even get in a queue, which lasts 20 minutes or more. They say they will send out a new air chamber and pump and "expedite" it. No indication of how long "expediting" takes. I request they refund the money I specifically paid for in-home setup, since clearly they did NOT deliver. They agree to refund half.

7. Two days later the air chamber (only) arrives. Now we have a working bed! Here I should mention that because of prior lawsuits over mold contamination, all products are now soaked in anti-fungals, which take days to air out and make me want to puke. I live in a two-room apartment and there is no way to get rid of it. I light candles, spray smelly stuff, turn fan on full blast, etc. Wash sheets and bedding repeatedly.

8. Five days later, bed smell has MOSTLY abated. I receive a return label in the mail. There is no indication of what I am supposed to return. Just the faulty air chamber? Do I wait until the pump arrives and send the old one back in the same box? I call customer service.

9. I am told that no pump was ever sent. The customer service rep tells me the note on my file says I was "Offered troubleshooting help and refused. No pump will be sent." WTF? Seriously, WTF? Up until now I have remained reasonably pleasant. But here I get pissed off. I am passed to a supervisor, who agrees to send me a pump and explains the label situation.

IN ALL CASES, THE GOAL OF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON IS TO GET ME OFF THE LINE ASAP. Answers are short, they don't ask if you need anything else, they just do the minimum of what you demand and hang up.

Oh, and I should also mention, this whole bed fiasco is completely separate from the special mattress cover we bought from them. It unraveled around the elastic edges in less than a week. They took it at the store and ordered me a new one, which has not arrived after a week and a half. I will be looking into that as well.

My advice: If you want one of these beds - and they are wonderful - buy it used. Or MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANOTHER BED TO SLEEP IN FOR A MONTH. Otherwise you're screwed.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Sorry about your problems. We looked into Sleepnumber bed, but I couldn't justify paying over $2000 for a mattress! They're showing me these things, "how's it feel?" Not much better than my posturpedic. "Well, how about now, I adjusted the number." Eh. Seems ok. How much? She whips out the price list and I damn near have a heart attack in the store.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geez Jo you guys really got hosed. Sorry to hear it

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Sorry about your problems. We looked into Sleepnumber bed, but I couldn't justify paying over $2000 for a mattress! They're showing me these things, "how's it feel?" Not much better than my posturpedic. "Well, how about now, I adjusted the number." Eh. Seems ok. How much? She whips out the price list and I damn near have a heart attack in the store.

Haha, actually we spent $1200, which is about the price of a nice mattress these days. It works for us because he likes soft and I like hard. And I tell you what, we've slept better so far on that thing than we have in our whole time being married. Worth it? Would have been, if not for the trouble.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you had so much trouble. We bought one two years ago and we didn't have any problems. (Crosses fingers.) Maybe you got a lemon?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should send this story to Seth Godin. He uses this bad marketing stuff in his blog for examples of what marketers shouldn't do. It's amazing how heedless marketers can be about the negative effects of bad word of mouth. You can bet I won't order a Sleep Number bed now, and I do need a new mattress soon.

Did I tell you guys about Sears sending me an old, burned out timer for my Maytag washer when I'd ordered a brand new replacement part? They hassled me about returning that too. Before I sent it back, I wrote "BURNED OUT" all over it in permanent marker so they couldn't screw anyone else over with it.

BTW, for my birthday DH got a t-shirt from Cafepress (the who/whom owl shirt). He ordered me a mens though, and I never wear mens t-shirts. We wanted to send it back and get the ladies style, but instead they told us to keep the mens and sent us the ladies style shirt at no extra charge.

Now that's knockout customer service.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you had so much trouble. We bought one two years ago and we didn't have any problems. (Crosses fingers.) Maybe you got a lemon?
A lemon can happen anywhere. What matters more is the customer service that follows, IMO. If they were nice to her and sent her, I dunno, a free set of sheets for her trouble, that'd be cool.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
A lemon can happen anywhere. What matters more is the customer service that follows, IMO. If they were nice to her and sent her, I dunno, a free set of sheets for her trouble, that'd be cool.

Exactly! All I asked for was a refund of the delivery charge, but they were stingy even on that. Honestly that would have made me happy - but them saying "Uh, no, we'll refund you half" just pissed me the hell off.

I posted like a year or so ago about a fantastic experience I had with Borders - their employee made a mistake that screwed me out of about $14, and I wrote to the address listed on their website. The following day I had an apology email from the manager of the store I'd been at, and not only did he refund me the $14, he gave me my entire purchase for free! (Something like $50.)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's funny how customer service goes. I can be a real prick when I deal with people over these kinds of things (no, no, really, I can be).

I have a sleep number bed and had the guys set it up. Never have had a single problem. And the lady from the store where I ordered it called me twice to make sure I had everything I needed and was happy with the bed and service. So, I feel for you Jo, but My experience was quite different.

That said, I've had plenty of problems with other companies. Generally, I keep at them til I get some satisfaction. My last big problem was with a major electronics company. I bought some phones from them, via another company (catalog), and the phones went belly up inside of six months. When I called the catalog company, they wanted me to call the electronics company. When I called the electronics company...yep, you guessed it.

Eventually, I wrote letters to both company's CEOs. Not very pleasant letters, but very clear and without expletives. The catalog company gave me full credit for the phones and the electronics company sent me a refund, after I sent the phones back to them.

Imo, you should never accept bad service. Stay on their case. Take twenty minutes to pen out a thoughtful letter--no bad words, no insults--detailing exactly what occurred and exactly why you are unhappy. Address it to the CEO and send copies to the store and the customer service division. Ten will get you twenty, someone calls you to smooth things over.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
We have a sleep number we've had quite a few years. It dates back to when they were called Select Comfort. I would not take anything for it.

So far, they've handled any problem we've had and I've had no complaints. Our air pump went out a couple of years back and they sent a new one, no charge. Later they said we were supposed to have paid a portion of the replacement since we'd had the bed a long time, but they marked that paid since they hadn't told us when they shipped.

They've also replaced the baffle in my daughter's bed with no questions asked twice, both within a couple of days once we'd made the call. We've dealt direct with the company, though, and not with a retail outlet. Maybe that would make a difference.

Once you get it set up and working, it'll be worth all the trouble. I wouldn't take anything for ours. Incidentally, sounds like they've come down quite a bit since we bought ours.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
We kept our first one for 10 years, and recently gave it to one of the kids. It was flawless in all that time. This time we upgraded, and we love it.

We've never had a problem, so never dealt with the company, but I have heard other horror stories about their customer service.

I'd suspect the assemblers were unfamiliar with the setup procedures and damaged your bed. I assembled both of ours, and it's a simple job if you are careful and can follow instructions.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Haha, actually we spent $1200, which is about the price of a nice mattress these days. It works for us because he likes soft and I like hard. And I tell you what, we've slept better so far on that thing than we have in our whole time being married. Worth it? Would have been, if not for the trouble.
Not sure where you shop but we were pricing mattresses on sale for 1/4 that. Which is why their prices gave me sticker shock.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
OK - I know I'm slow. But when I saw the title to this thread I thought you meant now that you have this bed you hate to have company in it. I was all prepared to read about how you'd kicked out your hubby.

I slept on a sleep number bed at a hotel in LA last spring and didn't really notice a difference. But, I'm not really that sensitive to mattresses. My husband, on the other hand . . .

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are high, Ferrett, but I'm like the princess and the pea and my husband wants to sleep on a rock, I swear. His bed, that he had before we got married, left me sore sore sore. And a soft bed leaves him sore sore sore. Being able to customize our sides is what sold us. Also, it was nice when I had knee surgery and had to sleep on my back, I could change it until I could sleep on my side again.

Jo- sorry you had such bad service. I'd do what Rob said, write the head honcho.

I recently got pissed off at a customer service rep at Sears. I was ranting about not shopping at Sears anymore. But when I called back and talked to a different Rep, I wasn't mad anymore. Maybe you just happened to get the bad reps?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Imo, you should never accept bad service. Stay on their case. Take twenty minutes to pen out a thoughtful letter--no bad words, no insults--detailing exactly what occurred and exactly why you are unhappy. Address it to the CEO and send copies to the store and the customer service division. Ten will get you twenty, someone calls you to smooth things over.

You know, this is a good idea. I will definitely do this.

We've dealt direct with the company, though, and not with a retail outlet. Maybe that would make a difference.

We're dealing with both, actually. When it didn't work, we went into the retail outlet because I knew if I just called the number I was going to have to wait forever to get a replacement. I wanted to see, face-to-face, the guy who sold us the bed and tell him we had just spent the night on the couch. Anyway that partially worked; they were perfectly nice. But it seems like they don't have any stock or power really, so then I was left to deal with the company via their help line. Which is NOT HELPFUL.

I'd suspect the assemblers were unfamiliar with the setup procedures and damaged your bed. I assembled both of ours, and it's a simple job if you are careful and can follow instructions.

Nah, this was just a lemon. This guy was definitely experienced. I mean, he couldn't have anything to do with the air chamber having a hole in it, right? ;) When the salesman came to our house to replace the pump he was like "Wow I expected to come out here and find you guys just didn't set it up right, because usually people just can't figure out how to pop the valves together. But this is actually broken." Hmm, you think? ;)

Not sure where you shop but we were pricing mattresses on sale for 1/4 that. Which is why their prices gave me sticker shock.

I live in Southern California. Whatever the top price is for an item, that's how much it is here. If I want a mattress that isn't going to break down in 2 years (like our original one did), my starting price is $1,000. Bare minimum. We bought the earliest model for Sleep Number beds, and thus the cheapest. The newer models run quite a bit more.