• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Helen Heller Agency, Inc.

hootie

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with the Helen Heller Agency? I came across her agency on Publishers marketplace when I seached for agents that had sold thrillers in the last 6 months. P and E lists her as reccomended with a dollar sign. But she has no listing on agent query, and no info on her website, so I can't find anything about submission preferences. so then I checked the listing here, and there wasn't one! Background anyone?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
You'll find her listed here: http://everyonewhosanyone.com/aguk2.html about 8/10ths down the page, but her site link doesn't work. I haven't tried the email.

She's a Canadian agent but, in my experience, she doesn't answer email queries. No biggy, many agents don't reply.

I think I've seen her listed on some UK agent sites as an associate agent in Canada. But don't take that as real, because my memory is often faulty.

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
The 2009 Guide to Literary Agents says that this Canadian agent has been in business since 1988. She has 30 clients. Although she states that she is "actively seeking adult fiction and nonfiction (excluding children's literature, screenplays, or genre fiction)," she says that she gets most of her clients through recommendations from others, so it's difficult to tell how open she is to receiving unsolicited queries.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
I equeried her on 9-26 with a recommendation from one of her clients, Ariana Franklin. I've heard nothing after 20 days, but who's counting?

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
She answers queries if she likes them. She does seem to have a habit of not responding if she doesn't.

Tarzan

I've queried them in the past with no response. I just queried them with my latest and same day got a request for a partial. Sent that and a few hours later got a request for the full. They've got a strong stable of writers and she is a major Canadian agent and sells internationally. P&E has a recommended on them as previously noted. Their web page lists their writers. Look them up. Some topnotch writers.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Another agent referred me to Ms. Heller a few years ago, but she never replied to my query (even with the referral).

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any info or experience with Sarah Heller? I'm thinking of sending her a query.

She's Kelley Armstrong's agent. According to her website, she looking for YA. She requested a partial then a full from a friend of mine back in January, but she hasn't heard back from her yet. I just fired off a query to her last night.

Check out her website, which Camora (?) posted earlier in this thread.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I sent Sarah a query in mid March for a YA novel, and I haven't heard back from her yet.

Sounds like "crickets" is the agency's mode of operation.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I sent Sarah a query in mid March for a YA novel, and I haven't heard back from her yet.

Sounds like "crickets" is the agency's mode of operation.

Maybe she's a 'no response = rejection' agent. I'll let you if I get a response either way so you know.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Tuuli,

Yes, I meant the silence was the equivalent of a rejection. I'd hate to think that was the same way they reject a full since your friend has been waiting since January. I would hope they would give her a yes, no, or constructive criticism either way.

Do keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Tuuli,

Yes, I meant the silence was the equivalent of a rejection. I'd hate to think that was the same way they reject a full since your friend has been waiting since January. I would hope they would give her a yes, no, or constructive criticism either way.

My friend had to send hers via snail mail because, for some reason, Sarah was having problems opening the email attachment. She didn't have the same problem with the partial, though. There's always a chance something happened to the ms, especially since the agent was excited about the partial and the book is even better after the first 50 pages.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
If your friend has had a partial out since January with no word, s/he should send a follow-up note asking about it.

I don't know about Sarah, but if Helen doesn't like a query, she often just doesn't respond. And if she likes it, she responds within days.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
If your friend has had a partial out since January with no word, s/he should send a follow-up note asking about it.

Turns out my friend had her dates mixed up. It's only been six weeks. She had it confused with another partial that's out.

katpaws

writer/fangirl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theresabloginmysoup.blogspot.com
Queried Sarah this morning and received an auto-reply that she'd be out of the office until Monday, but was surprised to receive a partial request from her a few hours later. Has anyone had any recent experiences with her?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah requested three chapters from me in late January. I followed up after three months (twice) but all I got was the sound of silence.

I threw this one on the no response scrap heap long ago.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
her website http://www.helenhelleragency.com/

Looks like Daphne Hart works for her?
Helen Heller represents an award winning and internationally best selling list, and accepts commercial and literary fiction, specializing in crime fiction. Her career in publishing began in London, England where she worked for Cassell & Co. After immigrating to Canada, she was Senior Editor for Avon Books and Editor-in-Chief for Fitzhenry & Whiteside. She founded the Helen Heller Literary Agency in 1988.
[email protected]

Daphne Hart represents an award winning list specializing in non-fiction. Her clients include journalists, professionals and authors of literary non-fiction. Before entering the literary field she was an art director and graphic designer in the corporate sector. Ms. Hart studied at the University of Toronto and the Central School of Art and Design in London, England. Phone inquiries can be made at (416) 489 1149.
[email protected]

kayreno

Registered
Reaction score
I am so excited. I e-queried Helen Heller this morning and less than an hour later Sara emailed me and requested a partial.

Now, I know that this happens regularly and it doesn't mean anything, but I just started doing the query thing and this is my first request!! I have had a few rejections already though.

I just wanted to share my news with those that are on the same path!