My Lobotomy

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
has anyone read this?

At twelve, Howard Dully was guilty of the same crimes as other boys his age: he was moody and messy, rambunctious with his brothers, contrary just to prove a point, and perpetually at odds with his parents. Yet somehow, this normal boy became one of the youngest people on whom Dr. Walter Freeman performed his barbaric transorbital—or ice pick—lobotomy.

Abandoned by his family within a year of the surgery, Howard spent his teen years in mental institutions, his twenties in jail, and his thirties in a bottle. It wasn’t until he was in his forties that Howard began to pull his life together. But even as he began to live the “normal” life he had been denied, Howard struggled with one question: Why?

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307381279&ref=banner&name=lobotomyGOOG

looks very interesting, but i think it's probably too depressing for me.

but maybe it's worth getting depressed over...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh, thanks for reminding me of this! I saw it at the store but decided to check it out of the library first if they had it. Of course I forgot.

Anyway, this is a must-read for me. When I was 13, I was totally obsessed with learning every single thing I could about the history of lobotomies. (Which tells you the kind of child I was.)

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Yes, it's great! I found it at my library and also was blown away by the subject. I was concerned about how emotionally difficult it would be to read because I was actually crying a little in the library. Some of the actual lobotomy descriptions made me a little queasy, but it was well worth it in terms of what I learned. It only has sixteen reviews on amazon and if you go to this amazon link you can see my review under my name Just Another Reader. I highly recommend this book.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307381277/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Last edited: