Advances? How much to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
I've really been talking to a small non-fiction publishing company about my project. They seem really interested. I'm curious how the royalty advances go. What to expect? How much is normal for a new non-fiction writer. Can anyone help?

June Casagrande

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.GrammarSnobs.com
Anywhere from $0 to $100,000. Unless your name's Barbara Walters, Bill Clinton, etc., in which case they go up to several million.

It depends on how the publisher thinks your book will sell. Diet books may or may not sell better than business books which may or may not sell better than grammar books which definitely don't sell better than Hollywood tell-alls. If you're writing in a category that has recently exploded in popularity or in which there's a recent big-time best-seller, that will probably mean higher hopes for your book and more dough.

I'll take a wild guess that, for the average new-author nonfiction title, you can expect between $5,000 and $20,000.

Royalties usually vary between 7-1/2% and 15% of the cover price, depending on hardcover vs. paperback and the number of copies sold. Most books DON'T earn out.
Earning out refers to the point at which royalities would have paid back your advance.

Your advance is yours to keep -- even if not a single copy sells. But you don't get any more money (royalties) until, chugging along at 7-1/2 or whatever percent, you reach the point where you've covered the cost of your advance.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not expecting much. If I can put the money to good use, such as in person interviews, I will be happy.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking to a small nonfiction house, scale down June's estimates by a lot. Most small houses are unlikely to pay more than $3-5k advances--they just can't afford much more than that, especially on a new and/or untried author.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking to a small nonfiction house, scale down June's estimates by a lot. Most small houses are unlikely to pay more than $3-5k advances--they just can't afford much more than that, especially on a new and/or untried author.

To be honest with you that is what I'm expecting. I just want to get published.

bonobo_jones

Covered in dog hair
Registered
Reaction score
My advance for my first book was zero, and that was with a fairly well known publisher. I was a rank newbie, though and just ecstatic that someone wanted to publish my book. However, five years later I still get quarterly checks, so it's cool. It's based on 10-12% of the cover price.

For my current project, I'm being paid a set amount per book (three books, actually). They have set out a payment schedule - so much for the expanded TOC and synopsis, so much for the shot list, so much for 50% of the ms, that sort of thing.

Good luck with your book, I hope it takes off!

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
My advance for my first book was zero, and that was with a fairly well known publisher. I was a rank newbie, though and just ecstatic that someone wanted to publish my book. However, five years later I still get quarterly checks, so it's cool. It's based on 10-12% of the cover price.

For my current project, I'm being paid a set amount per book (three books, actually). They have set out a payment schedule - so much for the expanded TOC and synopsis, so much for the shot list, so much for 50% of the ms, that sort of thing.

Good luck with your book, I hope it takes off!
I really appreciate it. I'm not expecting to get paid much. I just want to publish my work.

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
JasonA,

May I interject a plea for you to save some of your advance to pay for publicity, especially if you are signing with a small publisher. The fact is that no one will know about your book if you don't invest in marketing. By that I mean the cost of stamps to send a mailing, acquiring a website domain name, your travel expenses to attend a conference, or a publicist should you go that route. These are the little things that eat away at your money (if you have any money). Think of your advance not only as a payment for your writing time, which doesn't sound like an issue for you since you "just want to get published," but the funds that will help you along the publishing path.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
JasonA,

May I interject a plea for you to save some of your advance to pay for publicity, especially if you are signing with a small publisher. The fact is that no one will know about your book if you don't invest in marketing. By that I mean the cost of stamps to send a mailing, acquiring a website domain name, your travel expenses to attend a conference, or a publicist should you go that route. These are the little things that eat away at your money (if you have any money). Think of your advance not only as a payment for your writing time, which doesn't sound like an issue for you since you "just want to get published," but the funds that will help you along the publishing path.

Thank you so much. That is an outstanding idea and a very smart one to say the least.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that sometimes you get the advance in chunks, rather than all at once. You might get a little on signing, a little on manuscript acceptance, and then the final chunk when the book is published.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that sometimes you get the advance in chunks, rather than all at once. You might get a little on signing, a little on manuscript acceptance, and then the final chunk when the book is published.

In fact, I don't know of many instances when writers don't get paid in chunks: usually a third on signing, a third on acceptance of completed manuscript, and a third on publication.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I've really been talking to a small non-fiction publishing company about my project. They seem really interested. I'm curious how the royalty advances go. What to expect? How much is normal for a new non-fiction writer. Can anyone help?

Are you famous in the field about which you are writing? Or a celebrity. If the answer to either of those questions is "no", your advance will be minimal. And rightly so; you're unproven.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Are you famous in the field about which you are writing? Or a celebrity. If the answer to either of those questions is "no", your advance will be minimal. And rightly so; you're unproven.

Yes I'm considered an expert in on this particular subject.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not even whether or not you're an expert in something, or a good or bad writer--if you're working with a smaller publishing company that doesn't have the money to pay you a big advance, you aren't going to get offered one. It's just that simple.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
It's not even whether or not you're an expert in something, or a good or bad writer--if you're working with a smaller publishing company that doesn't have the money to pay you a big advance, you aren't going to get offered one. It's just that simple.

Thanks, it's a small but well established company by the name of Osprey Publishing. They specialize in military non-fiction.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Jason, I don't know anything personally about Osprey Publishing, but good luck with your endeavors and best of luck with the book!

Thanks. I think it is important that I get at least one book published before getting too selective on who buys my book. I'm doing it for the money. The subject is exciting.

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
HI jason, I don't know if it's too late or if you'd be interested, but here's a good article on why we should never deal with publishing companies unagented.
http://editorialass.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-you-should-never-submit-unagented.html

I found the article because it was recommended on Nathan Bransford's blog, so it is extremely reliable.
http://nathanbransford.blogspot.com/

Best of luck to you.

Pollykahl,

Thank you for this - I am currently in this position - I am writing a supplement for a textbook for a major publishing company - got the job via recommendation - unagented - the project is almost finished and I am in the running for future projects - I've been wondering about future contracts. - this is good information to consider.

thanks, Rosa

Status
Not open for further replies.