Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
OK, the blobs are out of control. ;) What's happened is that some people are now giving out 10 or more points at a time, so people are getting extra blobs really fast, and we're soon going to be at the point where everyone has a zillion of them and they're meaningless.

So, I've set it back to where everyone is giving/taking one point at a time, except the admins (Charlie and me), who can still give/take 10 points at a time.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Damn it.

If you hadn't done that, I would've had my 5th blob about a half hour ago.

You're just trying to control me.

You can't quell my power.

I will rise again, stronger than ever.

Mark my words.

Baby.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
lol I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get the Opman on your bad side!

I will take all the blame for the bonking that has been going on. I am truly ashamed of myself. Truly.

BONK!

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
I hope that the situation gets back "into hand" (instead of out of hand) because I for one really appreciate the REAL rep points that I have been given -- the ones that let me know something I've said has been appreciated. I feel good about having a reputation built more on helpful posts than on frivolous "bonks."

There are so many helpful people on these boards. It has become a bit confusing to see some very new members with more rep points and blobs than others members who have not only been here longer, but who are well-known for their extreme helpfulness, but may not visit "The Office" and "Take it Outside," choosing rather to stay in particular genres, where the popularity contests rarely venture. No offense to the newbies, as I'm sure you're all nice people, and will share helpful information which will earn you many rep points. :)

It wasn't such a bad idea to begin with, KTC, nominating others who had said something deserving of rep points (in fact, that was a good idea, making others aware of some really helpful people). Where it went downhill was when it came to randomly giving points to everyone on a thread; that was a bit overboard. I even hung out on the thread a short time, and received a few random rep points, but not even enough to complete one whole rep blob.

I figure that it's not so bad when trying to build up to the 2nd blob, kind of like padding one's posts, but after receiving that 2nd blob, if the practice continues, it tends to lose meaning, like Jenna said.

Anyway no hard feelings. And that's all I have to say about that. :)

btw - Don't get me wrong -- I'm not ungrateful for the few frivolous bonks. All things in moderation, after all! :)

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
TemlynWriting said:
There are so many helpful people on these boards. It has become a bit confusing to see some very new members with more rep points and blobs than others members who have not only been here longer, but who are well-known for their extreme helpfulness, but may not visit "The Office" and "Take it Outside," choosing rather to stay in particular genres, where the popularity contests rarely venture.

:Smack:

Dang, I KNEW I was hanging out in the wrong forums. I don't go outside unless my kids drag me there, kicking and screaming. And God knows that I never go to the office voluntarily...

((sigh)) Guess I'm destined to get green blobby thingies slowly...

:gone:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I was getting a little paranoid, wondering why I only had one of those blobs. Guess I had to party and drink more coffee....

Think I'll ever make it to two blobs now ? Huh?

1.gif

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
dragonjax said:
:Smack:

Dang, I KNEW I was hanging out in the wrong forums. I don't go outside unless my kids drag me there, kicking and screaming. And God knows that I never go to the office voluntarily...

((sigh)) Guess I'm destined to get green blobby thingies slowly...

:gone:

LOL! @ TIO and the Office. :)

And...don't worry, hopefully with this reformed blob system, a few very deserving folks will be receiving some more. :)

ZaZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thebobshow.buzznet.com
talking for no reason

I still find it hard to believe that anyone puts meaning on an accumulation of green pixelated blobs. Then again, I quoted the blob. So who am I to talk? Check it out! I'm going to actually shut up now.

As I was saying, aren't the blobs pretty much irrelevant? I mean, aside from the lunatics who attach some kind of personal value to theirs and those who get all worked up because others have more. What I find most frightening is the number of posts some of you people have. You would have to have no life at all to accumulate such numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I like it when Lizziepants and the other ladies send me green blobs with the reason being because they want to have coital relations in some fantasy world free of shame, guilt and gravity. But you know, that happens all the time. I'm used to it.

"Hey ZaZ, it's happy hour!"
"Ole!"

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Honestly, I greatly appreciate everyone who...

....has given me rep points, but, if it were possible, I wish we would just do away with them entirely. Then we could go back to people paying attention to what's in the posts themselves, and not how many points they might accumulate. It would also end a lot of pointless discussion and hurt feelings about something that is essentially meaningless. Think about it - threads on bonking and arguing about rep points themselves? We need to get beyond this, and move on to more productive and less conflict ridden discussions...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ed, I don't even think about the blobs ever. I don't even notice them. They're not there. (Well...except when somebody..ahem...has so many of them that I feel like I am pulling into an alien airstrip! Glare, baby...too much glare!)

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
KTC, I couldn't help but notice them...

...at first I didn't think anything about them, but as I accumulated more I started getting "bonked" by more and more people. I didn't figure it out for awhile, but in some cases I think it was because they figured I'd "bonk" them back, and then I realized that I was giving out some major rep points per each bonk. I'm glad Jenna set it back to one, and I'm as guilty as anyone of repping friends and stuff. If possible, I wish we'd just do away with the rep points and blob business, much more important stuff to deal with. The focus here needs to be on writing, not on this kinda stuff....

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Blasphemy!!

Why, the only reason I come here is because of the rep points!

Without them, my life would be empty.....

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I agree Ed...the focus should be on writing. They could be done away with. I don't think anyone puts any credence in the blobs. I do think that entertainment on the boards is necessary too, though...and the bonking provided downtime for possibly overstressed writers. I've seen your helpful posts. You deserve the green-mile you got there!

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Er...to be honest, I stay out of all the 'Bonk' threads entirely. I like getting the rep points because it shows I've helped someone out, but I'm really not that fussed about having a hundred thousand of them for posting in what's basically a chain letter ;-)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, just when I get my first shiny green blob, I'm gonna have to wait forever for my 2nd... lol. Everyone here makes good points and everyone deserves rp's! That's just imho.:)

Hugs, Susie

Brainerd T.

---the wordmaster ---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donthaveone.com
The first day I came to the forum, I happened on to the Bonk thread by accident. It looked like an interesting thread. I joined in the discussion. WAM! I had a blob! Then all the talk about blobbiness.

It is something to play with, but I don't think they should be called rep points. They should be called pat points. You pat my back, I'll pat yours.

Rep points should be earned, not given away. The thread is fun, but I do kinda disagree about the points thing.

I think there should be another system for establishing reps.

Com on, Floo. Get that stool back under the counter. Someone will stumble over it.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm admitting how dumb I am. Having never read any of the bonk threads, whenever I'd get a rep point because someone wanted to "bonk" me, I thought that person was making a pass at my sexy avatar.

[dragon smooches]Hey baby. Bonk here often?[/dragon smooches]

Seriously, there are entire threads that focus on the good and evil of rep points and awarding them and whatnot? Really?

Like wow, Scoob.

So, er, whenever I'd award a rep point, did that make me bonkers?

Okay, okay, I'll stop.. :flag:

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Changes To Rep System

I agree that the rep system should be done away with completely. It just shouldn't be that big a deal..

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
...And just when I was sooooo close to fulfilling my plan for world domination!

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Points and blobs do a service because recognition in any form occurs too rarely in real life, especially for isolated writers. I do wish people had given points only for genuine contributions instead of jumping on the "I bonk you, you bonk me" bandwagon.

I think people with more points, assuming that their points reflect something real, should be able to give or take away more points. Presumably those who usually know what they're talking about can better evaluate others' posts.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
reph said:
I think people with more points, assuming that their points reflect something real, should be able to give or take away more points. Presumably those who usually know what they're talking about can better evaluate others' posts.

Sounds good, but there's no way we can monitor and enforce that. The system cannot distinguish whether a "bonk" is for a genuinely good post, or a frivolous one. Unless someone's going to sit there and look through everyone's reps, there's no way to do this...

Unless.... we have a nomination process, and say, OK, Uncle Jim, or Reph, or Maestrowork, or... are deemed valuable, helpful members, so they should be able to give or take X points. But I think Jenna already said there's no clear way to do that... either you're an admin (10 points) or you're just like any one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.