If only they knew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I had a call from a job agency today - I've been trying to get work for 16 months now. Usual questions about my qualifications and experience, then the toughie - what had I been doing for the time I've been out of work. Quick as a flash, I said "I've written a novel."
"Oh. So do you want a permanent job or a temporary one?"
"Permanent. Why?"
"Well, you could be the next JK Rowling."
:roll:
I could also win the Lotto, actually the odds on that are slightly higher.
After taking a deep breath I told them it was a hobby which, despite wishful thinking, it is.

*whoopee it's Lotto draw night tonight!*

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've had many a job interview where someone would pick up my listing 'writing' in hobbies. They would then start to express concerns about hiring me, because in six months time I would be awash with fame and fortune from my best-selling published novel and leave the company.

This comes under those 'misconceptions of writers by non-writers' category.

Sometimes I think it might be best to take 'writing' off my CV completely.

Shara

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same thing when I was EIGHTEEN. It was my first full time job, working at a warehouse. When they found out I wrote, their response was "You might be a little over qualified for this job."

I smiled politely and told them the job would be fine.

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersconnection.com
Huh?

Wow, they actually say that? I usually get a blank stare and then they excuse themselves to leave and burst out laughing incoherently.

Or, I sit and listen to them tell me all about their writing experiences for over 30 minutes. Then, politely they tell me keep working at it, but sorry, there's no job they can offer me."

When I marketed my "Light of Dark", I took a copy in to show my students. They looked at it, then at the name on the book and then at me. Pointing to my name they said, "Hey, look madame (that's what they call me) this person has the same name as you!"

"Well, that me. That is my name, right?"

"No way, that can't be you."

"Why not?"

"Cause you teach dance."

Hmmm...

Last edited:

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I had a form teacher many years ago (Gosport County Grammar, for UK member's information) and he had a second job presenting local news at the TV station in Southampton. One day he was telling us all about his "glamorous" job as a newsreader and, completely wrapped up in this tale, one of the students put his hand up and said
"Sir, that only takes up half an hour. What do you do as your proper job?"

True as I'm sitting here.

J C Coy

Registered
Reaction score
Someone at work sent me an email with a scene they'd written. Oh my God, it was bad. Then he came to my office to see what I thought of it. I smiled real nice...and said, "Oh that's good."

Last edited:

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I told my last employer that and they were really impressed because they "could never do that". They both write like 6th graders. LOL

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the sweet innocence of the nonwriter. Until he starts to write himself, let him enjoy it. Would you tell a five year old Santa's a big lie?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I landed this job was because I'm a novelist. My boss (who's a multi-published doctor) was so happy to find someone who was a competent line-editor, knew how to use Word and reference programs, and didn't have to be hand-held to write a standard business letter.

And when things are slow (doesn't happen often, but has been known to), she lets me write at work.

ricgalbraith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cementum.co.uk
i get this all the time, typical conversation with a friend / peer / acquaintance / family member not seen in a long time / person i chat to on the train / etc

me: "oh yeah i'm writing a novel at the moment"

person: "wow, that's great, i wish i had the motivation to do something like that, are you going to get it published?"

me: "sigh" or alternatively if i like the person "i'm going to try my best, but it's not an easy road, just as tough, if not harder, than getting a cd released, etc"

everyone seems to think writing a book, you'll automatically get it in shops and make loads of money out of it, not sure how this idea of being a novelist creapt into people's heads, but it's definitely the general attitude of people i've come across.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I find the easiest way to explain the reality is to liken it to the music business. Thousands of wannabees, few stars who can give up the day job.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I agree - but with shows like American Idol and The X Factor people can relate to music more readily I think.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mention it to prospective employers for the first year out of work. After that I needed a "reason" for being unemployed all this time, according to the Agencies. To give writing as a means to usefully fill time instead of "well actually nobody has offered me a job despite 200 applications all for jobs I can do well" started to feel more like a positive step than a lack of options as I sit staring at the walls.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I was outed my first week starting my job. A friend of mine who betas for me works there and I gave him the latest version of my MS to read. He left it in the office by mistake and the other two managers started to read it. My big boss was so impressed that I wrote lol. ( he's a huge fantasy reader) that two weks after I started my Regional Manager was asking me about my book.

The day I found out I sold it, I ran into work and told my boss 'Don't expect much from me today - I'm too excited' and told him why - I think he was more excited than me :D Then he said 'Oh well I expect you'll be handing in your notice when it comes out. You can do a book signing here though.'

Cue a talk about the realities of publishing - especially as the book is coming out with a small press -- and not in our country either!

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was outed my first week starting my job. A friend of mine who betas for me works there and I gave him the latest version of my MS to read. He left it in the office by mistake and the other two managers started to read it. My big boss was so impressed that I wrote lol. ( he's a huge fantasy reader) that two weks after I started my Regional Manager was asking me about my book.

The day I found out I sold it, I ran into work and told my boss 'Don't expect much from me today - I'm too excited' and told him why - I think he was more excited than me :D Then he said 'Oh well I expect you'll be handing in your notice when it comes out. You can do a book signing here though.'

Cue a talk about the realities of publishing - especially as the book is coming out with a small press -- and not in our country either!

What a nice story!! :D

Reaction score
I hope one day I can put "writer" next to my occupation so I can laugh at myself a little bit.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
In an interview for a local high school, I flubbed big time when I was asked about my writing. They asked about it, I explained the short stories and that I had finished a novel. Then they asked what the novel was about. I said the first thing that popped into my head-- which is how I plug the thing when asked in passing: "Sex and Violence".

(More proof that one does not die from embarassment. But I'm going to maintain that I didn't get the job because they were looking for a 9th grade teacher and my experience is with 16 and up.)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Whups, Clair :D

In other news, moving this to the roundtable.

Status
Not open for further replies.