she'll have to co-author - I'm not the expert ... HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I have 2 books in the works; one is a fantasy adventure and the 2nd is a non-fiction that focuses on cancer and nutrition in which I will interview people who have battled cancer and found empowerment through food, who will share a special recipe that helped them over the hurdle - a sort of "Recipes for Living." My contact, whom I'm relying on for nutritional information, is director of nutrition at a national cancer center and she's been immensely cooperative and helpful - she says she will help provide me with the names of patients at the center to interview.

The problem, of course, is that I'm not the expert, merely the interviewer. Books of this type are generally authored by the expert. No agent is going to look at little unknown me as a credible author for this type of work, especially as I have no previous publishing credits, and no credentials in the cancer/nutrition field.

So ... what do I do? Go to my contact and ask her to either, 1)at least write the intro chapter or 2) consent to be my co-author? And how do I approach her? I'm in a real muddle ... please share your wisdom with me!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, and I usually wouldn't suggest this, I would ask the expert to be co-author. As I see it, this is just too tough a subject for anyone (writer, agent, publisher, book buyers) to get involved in without having an airtight, solid foundation on which they can lay claim. And I would suggest that your friend enlist (is she a doctor?) several other experts in the fields to read and endorse the work.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I thought scope. Who am I? I'm not the expert, just the interviewer.
Now comes the part where I have to ask her to be co-author

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
IMO, and I usually wouldn't suggest this, I would ask the expert to be co-author. As I see it, this is just too tough a subject for anyone (writer, agent, publisher, book buyers) to get involved in without having an airtight, solid foundation on which they can lay claim. And I would suggest that your friend enlist (is she a doctor?) several other experts in the fields to read and endorse the work.

OK, my contact has agreed to discuss the co-authoring thing although she's not really sure what that entails. And neither am I. Does she actually have to get involved in the writing or can it merely be lending her oversight and direction? How much involvement does the co-author have?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on how involved she wants to be and the individual arrangement you set up with her. You can make her the co-author (equal billing on the cover) or you could set it up with you as author ("by Mela") and under your name ("with Experts Name, PH.D) -- or something like that.

If it were me, I would get her as involved as I could. From discussing initial ideas to reading and authenticating everything you write. Sources you can go to for information. Running ideas by her. Basically, knowing that whenever you need authoritative information, or have any question, that she will be "on-call." At the proper time you may want to ask her if she can pave the way for you to show the work to other recognized experts in the field, as well as organizations and associations -- for another fact check AND to get THEIR endorsements.

The question is how much time she wants to devote to your project--which will become a project created by both of you.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on how involved she wants to be and the individual arrangement you set up with her. You can make her the co-author (equal billing on the cover) or you could set it up with you as author ("by Mela") and under your name ("with Experts Name, PH.D) -- or something like that.

Actually, the second example implies that the Ph.D. actually wrote the book for you. Usually when you see Sally Jones with Dr. Bill, it is the famous person's name first, and the ghostwriter second. You'll see that a lot with celebrity books, for example. You are better off with your expert as a co-author. It's pretty much a win-win: she gives you credibility in the marketplace, you gain access to her contacts, and you still get to shape the book the way you want it. One drawback to be aware of, though, is that even though you'll be doing most of the writing (probably), your co-author, as the "name," will get most of the publicity, requests for interviews, etc. It may not bother you at all, but it's something you should be aware of at the outset. On the other hand, without an expert you're unlikely to get the book published anyway, so it's a matter of decideing what's the most important thing to you.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.