Getting contract, now terrified!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonobo_jones

Covered in dog hair
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an email from my agent telling me she is sending off a contract today from the publisher. For THREE nonfiction books, with a major publisher. This has been in the works since March, and I should be shrieking with glee and doing the happy dance all over the house this very instant.

But suddenly, I'm terrified. What if...what if I can't make the deadlines? What if they hate everything I do from this moment on? What if my work isn't as good as other writers in this series? What if, after I submit the next block of work to them, the editors look up from my work and say "you know, maybe we made a mistake here...she's just not that good."

I know I should be elated, and somewhere hidden under the pall of suddenly-zero self confidence, I'm sure I am. But mostly right now I am feeling really scared that somehow I won't measure up to expectations. Please someone tell me it's OK to feel this way!

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an email from my agent telling me she is sending off a contract today from the publisher. For THREE nonfiction books, with a major publisher. This has been in the works since March, and I should be shrieking with glee and doing the happy dance all over the house this very instant.

But suddenly, I'm terrified. What if...what if I can't make the deadlines? What if they hate everything I do from this moment on? What if my work isn't as good as other writers in this series? What if, after I submit the next block of work to them, the editors look up from my work and say "you know, maybe we made a mistake here...she's just not that good."

I know I should be elated, and somewhere hidden under the pall of suddenly-zero self confidence, I'm sure I am. But mostly right now I am feeling really scared that somehow I won't measure up to expectations. Please someone tell me it's OK to feel this way!

It's not only okay to feel this way, it's probably something you should get used to...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It's not okay to feel that way because you need to realize that you were chosen because you ARE good enough and you CAN do this.

That said, it's totally NORMAL to feel that way because, I presume to assume, you are human as opposed to a teapot or even a goldfish who would certainly not have the wherewithal to feel even remotely uncertain about their abilities.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
MEGA CONGRATS!

Don't worry about your sudden lack of confidence. Publishers don't hand out three book contracts unless THEY are confident. Book one was good enough to pull that off, and of course you'll match - if not better - it. Somewhere, beneath that panic, you know that, so GO CELEBRATE.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
If it's any consolation I'm at the same stage myself - most of me doesn't believe it can be true, and a small dark voice is saying 'what if people read it and then point and laugh'

I have told this voice where it may put it's thoughts - where the monkey put its nut. :D It seems to help.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any one can have these thoughts when embarking on a wonderful new venture. When I started my own business 27 years ago, I was full of doubt. What if I don't get any clients, what if I mess up, what if no one takes me seriously because I'm young and little and blonde. I have been supporting myself all these years (and the hubby for the last 19, he works for me now). Your agent and your publisher have faith in you. Take a deep breath and accept their faith. Then do your darnedest to make us all proud.

MM

and CONGRATULATIONS!

bonobo_jones

Covered in dog hair
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! I'm feeling a bit better now. Deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. Rinse and repeat.

Idiots - I think I lurked my way through your thread about your book, so congratulations to you!
MM - thanks, I've run my own business for 29 years (not writing related) so I know just what you mean. I'm totally ready for another page in my life, so to speak.

I really do have to get cracking on this - I already am, actually, since yesterday. After two months of silence since the last packet of stuff I submitted (during which time I figured I didn't get the deal after all), there's been a flurry of emails in the last week. Suddenly I have looming deadlines. Yipes.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
It's not only okay to feel this way, it's probably something you should get used to...
So true. After the initial dance of delight I broke into a cold sweat, terrified I wouldn't meet the deadline for novel revisions. I made it but found things don't get any easier. This time an article deadline threw me into a panic after I agreed to contribute. What makes you think I can write anything intelligent about THAT!! But today I'm in the zone and I'll meet my deadline with time to spare. Chin up. You'll do it.
Linnea

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
Very happy for you - and don't forget to pray

I'm very happy for you - a BIG congratulation.

It's normal to feel a big terrified, the same feeling comes to mind when going for a job interview, especially when you have done the first one over the phone and now you have to match it up in person.

Don't worry - you'll do just fine. And don't forget to pray.

ED

bonobo_jones

Covered in dog hair
Registered
Reaction score
Ishtar - congratulations, and I totally understand the cold sweat bit. I'm starting to calm down a bit now.

Thanks Edmontonian. I guess it's just like stage fright. I'll get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.