How to Do Sidebars or Other Creative Elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
I am working on revisions...a potential agent asked me to try to add some more creative elements to the chapters like sidebars, checklists, etc. (in addition to filling out the text a bit more) and then resend her the work. I have used a plain word document for my original chapters. How do I put in sidebars or checklists? Is there a program to do this or do I just add it to the bottom of the page?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I wrote the sidebars separately and labeled them. Then, in the main text, where appropriate, I wrote:

<Insert Sidebar 1-A>

Checklists, illustrations etc. can be handled similarly.

There are likely other acceptable ways to do them but the above was my publisher's preference.

Good luck.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
The alternate way is to put them in the approximate place where they belong and then set them off like this.

[Begin Sidebar 1]

Content

[End Sidebar 1]

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you!!

One more question...
What about illustrations? There is a section of the chapter where illustration photos would be helpful. Actually, a pencil drawing would do well. Do I go ahead and have someone draw a picture up for me and include it. Are there sites where I can find illustrations? This whole part of the process is alien to me!

I am so thankful for everyone's help here.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I did my illustrations in rough (VERY rough -- 5-year-olds laugh at my drawings) and the publisher's art department turned them into something recognizable (after a couple of explanatory phone calls and muffled derisive snorts.)

You likely needn't worry about them until a publisher is on board but it won't hurt to give them some thought.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I just said something like [SUGGEST ILLUSTRATION OF --- APPROXIMATELY HERE]. If I found something suitable I put it at the end of the chapter and marked it as an example illustration CAREFULLY INDICATING WHETHER IT WAS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN OR JUST AN EXAMPLE to help the editor and art department know what I had in mind. There is no point in spending a lot of time on illustrations because how many and their size and placement often depend on production requirements such as having an even number of pages, cost to reproduce illustrations (e.g. color or black and white) and page breaks. These are issues that sometimes don't get settled completely until final layout.

Last edited:

brc23

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question....

When you are writing your draft and do not have a publisher yet...do you add these elements? Or do you wait for instruction once you get a pub?

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question....

When you are writing your draft and do not have a publisher yet...do you add these elements? Or do you wait for instruction once you get a pub?

I know you asked this a long time ago (relatively) brc23, but since this is an issue for me also, I'll add my two cents.

First of all, the OP did say a "potential agent" so it's not at the publishing stage yet and still they want something to punch it up.

Secondly, my "potential publisher" has asked me to start thinking about illustrations before the board has even made a final decision.

So, based on those two examples I would also be considering what illustrations, photos, fancy boxes, etc you might need and where they would go, without necessarily inserting them in a formal manner. It can't hurt, it might show you are being proactive and overall it would add visual appeal to your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.