published poems?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha: I have a question. If this forum is like being 'published' why is everyone putting all their writings or works on here? I know poems are ususally not used in book form...but what if you use them for anything else. Does having them on here for all to see make them published? What if someone wants to buy an unpublished poem and it's been on here? I know that essays and other book type writings are considered published if online.
Thanks for any info anyone can share on this. :poke: (I know so little)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
This thread here (link) should explain it a bit, Wendy. :)

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10988

My take on it is...If one wants to post a WIP for a critique, that'd be fine. I wouldn't worry about that. But if it's something one plans on submitting, leave it posted just a couple of days, long enough to get the crit, or help needed, but then delete it, take it down. I would definitely NOT leave any of my work left posted if it's something I hope to have accepted/published.

Ya know, the ole' 'better safe than sorry'...

celeste

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I imagine that only a small proportion of people are submitting to publishers, and even then not all of their poems. Those that I am thinking of submitting--I don't post. Even poems I have deleted have been cached by search engines and even copied by strangers onto their blogs and websites.

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried submitting poetry, although I've been thinking about it lately. I work on submitting short stories and articles. If I wanted to submit something that was posted here, I would just delete the poem.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Make sure you google it too. I have found my poems all over the place, especially the more angsty ones that appeal to young bloggers.