• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dreisbach Literary Management

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have anything recent with her? I just queried yesterday and this a.m. there was a request for partial in my inbox. She has four authors listed on her site--and I know she's a new agency--but her PM page is kind of blank.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I'd personally worry about that when she makes you an offer... :)

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Now I know not to query her... Thanks Jeanne!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Anyone know if she reps/sold urban fantasy? Her website says commercial fiction, but upthread someone got a nibble on a werewolf book.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Anyone know if she reps/sold urban fantasy? Her website says commercial fiction, but upthread someone got a nibble on a werewolf book.

She requested an UF from me last year, and subsequently rejected it. I don't know if she's sold any, but she doesn't rule it out. Go for it.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
FWIW, I have known Verna for a few years -- smart, energetic, creative. But obviously very selective, like any legitimate literary agent.

I heard from a San Francisco agent a couple of weeks ago (via a workshop) who gets queries by the hundred (annual or monthly count was not clear -- but it is a deluge) and has not signed a single new client in more than a year.
--Ken

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
She's a no response = no agent, but I did get an auto confirmation with my query, which is nice. That way if I don't hear from her in 8 weeks I know it's a no and not that my query got lost in cyber space.

Ken- did the SF agent who hadn't signed a new client in over a year, did s/he have any sales that year? I always wonder about the timing on sales vs new clients and sales vs. existing clients. It must be an interesting balance to keep it so the agency (and its authors) make a profit.

Anyway, I saw Verna was one of the panel speakers at an upcoming Writer's Digest "Ask the Agent" workshop and that's how I came across her name.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . Ken- did the SF agent who hadn't signed a new client in over a year, did s/he have any sales that year? . . .
Good question. I do not know the answer. Apparently that agency does have a roster of clients (presumably with ongoing royalties and maybe new books that do not require queries as such), and the principals have other paying endeavors (workshops, their own books, whatever). And maybe the other principal had signed new clients recently. Dunno.

--Ken

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
She now only considers queries from authors she meets at conferences or by referral.

Judging by her recent-books page, it does not appear she has placed a single book with a publisher who requires agents. One publisher she lists, Morgan James, is a pay-for-play ("Author is asked to commit to purchasing, during the life of the agreement, up to 2,500 copies at print cost plus $2.").

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Added an Editorial Services page to her site a while back, but it's still under construction.

ETA: Site gone entirely mid-'17.

Last edited: