Researching medical studies

Status
Not open for further replies.

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way to read medical journals online? I can see the abstracts at Pubmed, but they do not publish complete articles or studies. Is my only option to head to the nearest university library with a list of references in hand? Thank you!

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
You can read pubmed if you're a subscriber...
Once you ID the specific journal you want to read, more may be available by googling it--a psych mag v. jama v. NE JAM, for ex.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use pubmed a lot, so let me give you my best tips. SOME articles on pubmed are available for free, but you're right that the majority are not. This is how you access the free studies:

Go to pubmed and click on the tab labeled "limits." Select the little text box called "Links to free full text." Type in what you want to search in the search bar, "Parasites of south america" or whatever, scroll down to the BOTTOM of the page, and click the "Go" button (not the top go button!). Now all the studies that pop up will have links to the free full text in the abstracts. You can read them for free. Beyond that, yes, a university library can get you the non-free studies. Sometimes your public library can request photocopies of the studies from interlibrary loan through a university library, but YMMV there.

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! This is exactly what I needed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.