No longer desperate but good thoughts always welcome

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Normally, I'm a private person when it comes to these kinds of things, but I cannot think of any other way. I seriously need your help.

My mom went into hospice this am and doesn't have too much time left. She may pass away tonight. I don't know. My chances of seeing her again, are quite slim. I'm ok w/ that, I've spoken w/ her several times. And, we had a good time together in June on Kauai.

My situation is this: She's in CA and I'm in CT. I'll be taking her pup home w/ me and it's against regs to fly pups during summer months due to the heat. So, I have to drive out w/ Kola, starting tomorrow. Sounds like fun, right? Normally, yes, only I almost died last week from an allergic reaction to an antibiotic/severe dehydration and a stupid er doc who didn't admit me against my doc's orders. He more or less released me in the same condition I arrived in. Believe me, that will be remedied upon my return. He's being brought up on charges before the board of directors of said hospital, w/ my doc's backing, and then some.

AAA mapped out the southern route for me, Ohio, Virginia, Tenn., Oklahoma City, Alberque, Gallup, Barstow, SD. I need help w/ driving and places to stay along the way. I've got money for gas, not a problem. Kola's got food :D Oh, yeah, I'm covered for food, too. It's just 'cause I'm still weak from Dr. Cockypants messing me up, that I need help w/ driving.

Far as getting back, I think I've got it worked it. A friend of mine can help part way. And that's 3 weeks off, too. I should be way better by then.

I hope you can help out.

Thanks so much.

P.S. I did have some fairly cool hallucinations, btw ;)

Now going back to sleep...

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Jean, Unfortunately I am nowhere near your route, but if you need anything else, let me know. Hugs for you, prayers for your mom, and I hope all of this works out.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
AAA mapped out the southern route for me, Ohio, Virginia, Tenn., Oklahoma City, Alberque, Gallup, Barstow, SD.

Seems like a strange route. Why not shoot straight across through Pittsburg, Indy, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, VEGAS BABY, then San Diego?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Much good luck, Jean Marie. Sure sorry about your situation. Prayers & (((((((HUGS))))))) given.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I wish I could help, JM, but I'm on this end and all I can offer is tea and hugs over here :(

(((((((Jean Marie))))))))

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Jean, have you asked for help physical help driving at your church or a near by college? Can you give yourself time to ask?

prayers

I think the ASPCA in New York, actually will tell you where you can stay with animals. If not the AAA should have told you on request which hotels/motels take animals.

Stlight

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Seems like a strange route. Why not shoot straight across through Pittsburg, Indy, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, VEGAS BABY, then San Diego?
Ah, for stinger's sake, you gonna make me look at the stinkin' map! Finkster :D I'll take another look other than what they said.

Jean, have you asked for help physical help driving at your church or a near by college? Can you give yourself time to ask?

prayers

I think the ASPCA in New York, actually will tell you where you can stay with animals. If not the AAA should have told you on request which hotels/motels take animals.

Stlight
Thanks for the prayers.

I forgot to ask which places are friendly. Kinda dumb, huh? Doing that in a few hours. I do have a few places to stay along the way, kindness of a couple of AW'er's :)

I'm out of time, this is going way more quickly than I'd like. Who knew I'd get as sick as I'd did, too.

My vehicle is road ready, too. Made sure of it a few weeks back.

Shweta, I'm counting on the tea, dear and a walk or two to go w/ it. I'm looking forward to your company :Hug2:

Going back to sleep,for a bit...

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Jean I went to bed and then thought of this, the Train. It would probably cost the same as driving what with gas and hotels. You might have to buy a crate for Kola and pup, but they could ride in the baggage car, you could visit them and it would be much easier on you and safer for all of you. Trains do connect up and would get you there faster. I know one goes as far as Gallop NM of all places and maybe further. Even if you only got that far you could rent a car and still come out ahead money wise.

Stlight

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait- so you are leaving today or in 3 weeks (or leaving today and returning in 3 weeks??) See below-

Sorry to hear about your mom.
I'll be taking her pup home w/ me and it's against regs to fly pups during summer months due to the heat.
Unless it has changed, some airlines allow it b/c they provide air conditioned transport to the plane. Check with Delta, Continental... I flew my birds via Delta and was reasonably pleased. (just wish someone had figured out how to freshen their FILTHY water- but they did have water)
So, I have to drive out w/ Kola, Why can't Kola stay with a friend (I'm sure you may have personal objections, but reconsider. Otherwise dogs can make great guardians on a road trip) starting tomorrow. (ah, tomorrow it is)Sounds like fun, right?

Aside from pet friendly hotels, there are horse hotels/motels that might take you and a dog or two. They are (sometimes) inexpensive for a small or cozy space (One place had a 3 bedroom cottage above the barn for a pittance). Google those terms for the two most popular sites... Dunno what you'd get with 'dog motel' other than a list of standard hotels that took dogs...

Cheers,
Christina

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in VA and I've got an empty bedroom. I've also got 2 cats and a bassett hound so animals are no trouble. I don't know what route you're taking so I don't know if you'll be coming anywhere close. As for the driving? I can't help you there. Send me a PM about the route and we'll see if you come near.
Appy

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Definitely looks like I'm driving. Can't get a flight out, just tried....I thought peeps were staying home w/ the economy???

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. Half asleep and the like. Leaving today and back in 3 weeks. Off to AAA in an hour or 2 when they open for pet friendly hotels, etc. Meanwhile, coffee's needed, etc.

Thanks, Appy :)

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely looks like I'm driving. Can't get a flight out, just tried....I thought peeps were staying home w/ the economy???

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. Half asleep and the like. Leaving today and back in 3 weeks. Off to AAA in an hour or 2 when they open for pet friendly hotels, etc. Meanwhile, coffee's needed, etc.

Thanks, Appy :)

Wish I could help in some other way. :e2coffee: Here's some virtual coffee. And I'm sending prayers. My father was with hospice for the last week of his life. They were terribly supportive. My husband was with them for 2 months. Again, terribly supportive. One of the nurses spoke at my husband's funeral. Good luck.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
If your trip home leads you close to Western North Carolina, I'd love to host you! Don't hesitate.

Good luck and take care out there, Jean Marie.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
All the best to you during this difficult time. Sounds like you got it all worked out and I hope it goes smoothly. Being in south-eastern Ontario, I couldn't have helped you out anyway.

Take care!

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Jean, very sorry about all you're going through.

:Hug2:

For your trip back, look into Red Roof Inn. You can book ahead of time online and they allow pets. The rooms are always nice and they seem to always put Red Roofs within quick walking distance to restaurants and grocery stores. Good luck with all this.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Oh, Jean, all I can do is pray for you, and pray for your mom that her passing is peaceful. Hospice will make sure of that, I know. Again, you really are in my thoughts and my prayers.

It's good you're flying to CA. I think driving out there would be horrible, with the way you feel physically and emotionally.

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late on the thread, but I'm praying for you too. I'm sorry about your mommy. Be strong, k? =o]

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Jean-Marie. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. If you need anything then just email me. Have a safe trip. Please keep us up to date on what's going on.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about the route idea, I misunderstood and thought you had three weeks before departure. But you have time to consider your route home, so it might be helpful.

I echo the 'Red Roof' suggestion, they run a pretty good motel chain. While you're in San D, just drop by any 'Red Roof' and pick up a nation-wide Red Roof directory. You can use you cell to call ahead when you're looking for a stopping place and make a reservation and confirm that pets are okay.