Anyone use a free fax service online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I read about them in Jenna's book, but the one she pointed out is $16.95 a month. I'm trying to keep costs low to start, but wanted to have a fax number if possible. :)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Do you just need to receive? If so, www.k7.net rocks! I have used them for several years for my travel agency business. You have to take a Seattle area code, but they are reliable, send the files as .tif, and don't spam you.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll give this a try.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Make sure to set it up so that it goes directly to a fax tone (you can opt for voice mail too). Also, I suggest selecting the option that just sends to your email rather than storing on their website.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
My husband has an account with one, but he hasn't used it in a while and cannot recall which service it is. I've been researching them since he cannot remember, looking for one that fits my needs.

There are several free fax sevices, including k7 mentioned in the post above, though most of them have local numbers available. (That's the one thing that kept me from choosing k7 at this time -- I'd prefer a local number so I don't get odd looks.)

I'll look for the other free ones in my favorites, and post them asap.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Okay, here are a few others I've found. I haven't thoroughly researched all of them yet, so forgive me if some do cost!

FaxAway (Free incoming, costs for outgoing.)

j2 (Has a free incoming service, costs for outgoing.)

FaxDigits (This is free and for incoming faxes.)

eFax (Had to do some digging, but they do have a free incoming service, which I've linked to. It's also a non-local number, like k7.)

FreeFax (I think this may be more for sending than receiving, from the little I've read.)

efax (This one costs $16.95, I think.)

This page has a listing of some more.

The thing is, I've heard good things about k7 for a while, so it seems pretty trustworthy. I just think that some editors/clients/whoever might think it sketchy that someone is using a Seattle area code, when the person doesn't live anywhere near Seattle.

I may give it a try, though, or eFax's, which is also non-local. I'll research them all a bit more and see what I come up with. :)

EDITED TO ADD: eFax seems to be connected to j2 Global, in their terms of service. I looked in their TOS to find how many free faxes were allowed, but though it mentions a limit, it doesn't give a number that I could clearly find.

Last edited:

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Efax is free if you're only receiving. I believe it's $16.95 to send out faxes. That's the one Jenna mentions, I think. I used the free side of efax many moons ago and thought it was pretty cool, but it sort of defeats the purpose of "faxing" if you can't fax OUT. I have found that I hardly ever need a fax machine. For one, all of the editors I've worked with use snail mail or email to get a contract to me. I can then fax or mail it back to them. I typically choose the latter. The few times I've had to fax for one reason or another, they were special circumstances and I just walked up to my local copy store to take care of it. Any way I slice it, I'd never be able to justify spending $16.95/month on a fax service. That could change down the line, but somehow I doubt it.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, Lisa. Please do let us know how your experience turns out with whichever service you choose. I'm definitely curious! :)

I will! I signed up for the Efax one. I'm going to see if my brother will fax me something, just so I can see how it works before I really have to use it. Thanks again for the suggestions!

MoneyMakinMama

Registered
Reaction score
I use FaxDigits and am very satisfied. I used to use eFax, but left them after exceeding my limit and not being able to receive any more. FaxDigits is always free to receive unlimited faxes. I've been using them for almost 2 years with no complaints.

Hope this helps. :)

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
Thanks for the input, MoneyMakinMama! It's helpful to read such reviews of each of these services. :) Two years without complaints seems very good!

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having one of these set up too.. Any new experiences with the free fax services?

I checked Freefax (mentioned for sending also) but the sending service seems to add ads to your faxes? Not sure how clients would look at that?!

"The fax recipient will receive a cover sheet which contains a third of a page advertisement along with sender and recipient information. Again, this ad helps to support the free fax service.

New free member services and commercial facilities will be introduced over the coming months following the successful launch of freeFAX." Source: http://www.freefax.com/ff_whats.htm

This e-How article mentions Faxzero.com - that seems to work for US & Canada only though & is supported by advertising too.. http://faxzero.com/faq.php According to the e-How article, there may have been some problems with graphics too..

They also mention this website with other options, not sure how good any of them are or how reliable it is though... http://www.savetz.com/fax/ (mostly different names of companies/services mentioned than above, or the same as under 'This page'.. - some seem cheaper than 16$ for paid services.. one seems to be 10$ a month, also depends how much you need to send/recieve, others maybe less - do the math though.. I haven't lol - too sleepy!!)

Slovenian aFax is 14 EUR for sending & accepting both in Slovenia and abroad... which is quite expensive!

Another e-How article on international faxing: points out to a fax comparison website - again, not sure how reliable it is, so doublecheck everything if interested..

How many incoming & outgoing pages do you guys have per month, or per year?
I know this depends, just a rough estimate maybe? just curious...

Also on some other forums some people speak of just downloading a programme or having a modem & sending stuff.. not exactly sure how that works though - do you need an extra line for it, or just your regular phone number? (VOIP phones may or may not be okay for sending regular faxes here though..)
I always hated calling people with one number for both phone & fax though.. Maybe it could be combined with a free service for receiving? (Or would it look too tacky having 2 fax numbers? hmm.. probably..?)

Last edited:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I spent a bit of time (way too much time I could have been writing) researching faxes. Personally I find them nearly out of date. Yes, you're going to have to have signatures faxed at times, but unless you're signing new contracts once a day (I WISH!), I don't see that much use for them.

With the last two who wanted to fax me contracts, when they asked if they could fax them, I just said, "Well, can you e-mail them to me?" Each time, without a pause, they said they could. When I had to return the fax with my signature, I just headed up to the church and they let me use their fax. For only twice in one month and one that was a toll-free number, they don't mind a bit. And I do have a scanner, so sometimes instead of faxing the documents back, I sign them, scan them, then return them in e-mail. I've had no problems with that yet (though I know technically, legally, there is a difference between an e-mailed image and a faxed image -- only because the bureaucrats don't understand technology).

Again, if I were sending lots of outgoing faxes, I might do something else, but I'm not seeing that in my near future right now. I'll just keep borrowing for the few times I need to send one.

Last edited:

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, thanks! :) Good to know!! :)

Were these contracts for magazines or..? & was the payment and everything okay?

I wonder if our church has a fax too? There's the post office otherwise, though they may overcharge their services slightly...

szsjq

Registered
Reaction score
GotFreeFax.com also allows users to send free fax online to the US and Canada.

It does NOT add ads to users' fax and is suitable for faxing formal documents.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Can it be used to send faxes from other countries (like Slovenia, Europe) to Canada & US too?

Kinsley's Mom

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using myfax.com for incoming faxing directly to my email for the last 5 years. Always has worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.