Historical Genre Success Stories!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Writing can be such a solitary experience, and seem like such a struggle at times, that it's important to recognize the progress that we make along the way.

So, for the historical genre writers (short story, flash fiction, novella or novel), post here when you:
  • Accomplish your weekly writing goals
  • Finish your WIP
  • Submit on your WIP (contest or agent/publisher)
  • Receive a contract on your WIP
We have a whole stock of shiny new awards to help celebrate those milestones and successes!

Last edited:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
What a great idea for a thread! i wonder if it could be stickied.

Lucy, who has accomplished nothing much of note lately.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Agreed! Fantastic idea!

I don't know if I'd call it a success story, but I started with the queries about two weeks ago, and presently have a partial out. Fingers crossed!

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Doogs! That's great news. At the very least, it means your query doesn't suck. And at the most...?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
My problem is -- every time I get a rejection, I start ploughing through the MS for things to edit.

Stop me!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I don't know if I'd call it a success story, but I started with the queries about two weeks ago, and presently have a partial out. Fingers crossed!

Absolutely this counts, Doogs!

Congrats on the queries and request for a partial. Here's your medal of submission honor:
submission.GIF

Keep us posted on your results, please! :D

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
My problem is -- every time I get a rejection, I start ploughing through the MS for things to edit.

Stop me!

That's not necessarily a bad thing if you've got some indication that something could be 'fixed' or improved. But if you're just monkeying with it looking for something that might be not such a good idea.

How can we help? :Hug2: Have you tried SYW (Share Your Work) or Beta threads for feedback?

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
I am feeling successful -

Today is the launch day for MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE - today I am a published author.

It took me three years to write it, a year and a half to land and agent and the book deal, and then another year and a half to get to this day - where my novel is starting to appear in stores and libraries - boy, what a happy day!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com

Today is the launch day for MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE - today I am a published author.

It took me three years to write it, a year and a half to land and agent and the book deal, and then another year and a half to get to this day - where my novel is starting to appear in stores and libraries - boy, what a happy day!

Oh, WOW! Congratulations, funidream!

Here's your badge for publishing and
MidwifeBlueRidgeShield.GIF

...and a little party in your honor...
:PartySmil

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score

Oh wow. I have been waiting for this day as well, so I can go out and buy your book!

I am so happy for you!! Congratulations. You have been such a helpful presence here at AW for those of us attempting our first foray into the publishing quest. To hear your time-line today gives me hope, because I've been working on my story for a little over a year now and am just a bit over a third of the way done.

I hope you are going to celebrate in some nice way. If not, we're celebrating here with you!!

:partyguy::thankyou::Cake::Clap::banana::TheWave:

Excellent work, funidream!!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Last week saw the release of my ninth novel, Woodland Daughter. Yay!
And this week I'm trying to finish a historical short story - 7000 words to go!

Hi Anne,

Congratulations on your new release!

Here's your badge for publishing Woodland Daughter, circa 1902. Feel free to pin it to your signature line as bragging rights --you've earned it!
WoodlandDaughterShield.GIF

Be sure to let us know if you achieved your weekly goal by posting your progress in the Weekend Report thread. We have lovely purple medals for achieving weekly goals! ;)

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the good wishes and Congratulations to everyone posting their achievements!

Yesterday I went to my town library to return some materials. I am at my library three or four times a week, picking up and returning materials (inter library loans, mostly) As I stood perusing the New Fiction shelf, a girl came up with a cart of books to shelve, and she put two copies of MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE up on at the top among the Bs, right under the light. It was such an odd thing to witness - I have to admit to getting a little choked up.

I accessed the online catalog today, and both copies have been checked out. :Sun:

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read your stuff, Doogs; I know you can do it!

Congrats to everyone on their successes!

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Doogs, funidream and anyone I missed. I'm just beginning my first foray into writing HF, but I love reading it. I'm actually loving the research and writing, too, though I don't get to write nearly as much as I want, I do write everynight.