Historical Genre Success Stories!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Oh, hadn't noticed this thread before--hear, hear for good historical fiction news!

After having three YA historical fantasies published, I've signed with a shiny new agent with yet another YA historical fantasy, this time set in the US in 1917. Revisions are underway...hope to be on submission early next year.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Two historicals published - their titles can be translated as "The wanderers of the sea" (the Vikings one) and "Lives in turmoil" (the Napoleonic Era/ Western one, with the volumes titled I-"Bloodied lands" (the Napoleonic Wars in Italy) and II - "The New World" (when the characters see the Jacobine cause turned to dictatorship and they emigrate to the only democratic republic they know, US, making a new life in the West, witnessing the Louisiana Purchase, etc).

Books%20display-s_zps5zxym2tj.jpg

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Haven't been published yet, but I am on draft 8 of my historical WIP. I've enjoyed writing it so much! And look forward to other people reading it too.

Update: @Elenitsa - This book, DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON, was published in January 2021.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Elenitsa

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Hmmm... After the first trilogy was done, I was worried my publisher wouldn't want the second trilogy in the series. It's set 600 years earlier. However, the editor LOVES it and it's on contract! Which is good, because the second book in this trilogy is already written :) Third one coming up!

ConstanceGorman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an agent who wants a historical fiction trilogy. The first book is set in ancient polynesia, the second in colonial polynesia and the third in modern polynesia. they're all linked together.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

This isn't the best part of the forum for this sort of question, Constance, but you do need an agent to sell to Harper Collins...with VERY rare exceptions.

I'd suggest looking at the threads in Ask the Agent. Also go into Query Letter Hell in Share Your Work (password is vista) and read the stickies.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, this thread has been quiet for a long time! Let me revive it a little bit by saying that I just signed with an agent! It was my Peter-Pan related ms that got me the offer of representation ("Proud and Insolent Youth", about the real family that inspired the creation of Peter Pan). I'm working on some revisions, with an eye to going on submission early in the new year.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this thread has been quiet for a long time! Let me revive it a little bit by saying that I just signed with an agent! It was my Peter-Pan related ms that got me the offer of representation ("Proud and Insolent Youth", about the real family that inspired the creation of Peter Pan). I'm working on some revisions, with an eye to going on submission early in the new year.
Omg I remember that story! Congratulations, Angeliz!! I am so happy for you!
:troll
(I’m on my phone and can’t seem to find appropriate emotes, so let’s pretend that the orc is holding a bottle of wine or a cake, instead of the axe)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This is great news, angeliz — congratulations! I remember reading a couple of scenes from that project, and I absolutely loved it. My favorite of all the pieces of yours that I’ve seen! Congratulations and best of luck and success with the next phase.

:e2coffee:

Svala Bjornsdottir

Registered
Reaction score
Writing can be such a solitary experience, and seem like such a struggle at times, that it's important to recognize the progress that we make along the way.

So, for the historical genre writers (short story, flash fiction, novella or novel), post here when you:
  • Accomplish your weekly writing goals
  • Finish your WIP
  • Submit on your WIP (contest or agent/publisher)
  • Receive a contract on your WIP
We have a whole stock of shiny new awards to help celebrate those milestones and successes!
Not a success as such, but it was a goal of sorts. Just managed to wrangle a 128000 word novel from word onto Scriviner. Now I have removed all my redundant scenes and can see quite easily where I need more direct foreshadowing! Next goal. Inserting some direct foreshadowing rather than relying on my inderct stuff and finding a beta reader or two.

Tessa95014

Registered
Reaction score
I am feeling successful -

Today is the launch day for MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE - today I am a published author.

It took me three years to write it, a year and a half to land and agent and the book deal, and then another year and a half to get to this day - where my novel is starting to appear in stores and libraries - boy, what a happy day!
That is awesome! Congratulations!!! (I'm a bit late, but hey, better late than ever:))

• Love

kawolive

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard back on my HF manuscript that I sent to Woodhall Press. I can't find much on the internet about this press. Have any of you guys heard of them?

Trying To Be Good

Registered
Reaction score
How about this, I'll let you know when I have my first chapter that is better than "workmanlike" or have my first three chapters that are. Or like my first four chapters, that don't make you think I learned English second.

I'm progressing slowly.