• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

First Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

allwriter

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I hope I'm putting this in the right area. My problem is this:

I'm writing a story based on experiences I had when I was younger.
Many of the things that happened are similar in nature, but important to the story. And I want people to understand that the story is covering a 4 year time period...beginning when I was 15 and ending when I was 19.

How can I express the time changing without having flashbacks, flash forwards and without being redundant?

Thanks for the help.

Chris Huff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sisyphus-books.com
Rule One: Just because it really happened doesn't mean it belongs in your manuscript.

If you're using real life events as the basis for a story, remember you're fictionalizing it. Tell it in whichever way makes for a more interesting, entertaining, and memorable story.

Jill

Registered
Reaction score
Rule One: Just because it really happened doesn't mean it belongs in your manuscript.

That's an important rule and one we should all remember. What may seem (or indeed have been), an important and even life changing experience for us, may not be that interesting to a reader.

Our writing has to be influenced by our own experiences - who we are - but that's all.

To cover a long time span without resorting to flashbacks etc. means that you have to push the story along but at the same time make it 'seamless'. No reason why it shouldn't work if you are able to paper the time crack.

allwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I realize that what may be "real" may not be interesting. I just have the idea. I'm not really writing the story as it happened exactly. It's inspired by a few experiences.

I'm just not sure how to make it "seamless". If I'm am telling a story about 4 years of high school, then I can reference it in the dialogue and it would be obvious. However, I am just not sure how to convey the years changing as the story goes along. I'm not sure if I've explained it clearly.

Well, maybe I'll get some ideas as I think about it more.

Thanks again.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The leaves turned brown again and I had to shave every morning, which was a pain in the ass. Plain little Mary Jones who'd sat beside me in math last year suddenly wasn't so plain or so little any more.

Show the passage of time by the changes your MC notices.

And write what you damn well want! How else can you learn.

-Derek

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can also tell the passage of time by talking about the grade your MC is in. IE: Freshman orientation, sophmore dances, as a junior being so close to being a senior, finally being a senior

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Six months had flown by and the only thing different in Fictionworld was the calendar.

I spent the next year as a recluse. Me, Oprah, popcorn and my chin-up bar. My triceps hardened whilst my stomach grew.

The next two summers disappeared like dogshit under a mower.

In the three months following my public humiliation, I'd dedicated myself to pizza and alcohol.

JJ

Quiet Melody

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some novels separated into parts to indicate time has passed. Perhaps you can have four parts to show the years of high school and give them titles. "Freshmen Year", "Senior Year" etc.

Another idea is to label chapters with the month or season. Or you could use journal entries and show the time of year.

good luck :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Start wherever you are going to start, mention only that which is relevant to whatever point you are trying to get across, then when it's time to fast forward a session or two or a year or whatever, either indicate the passage of time by a centred hash mark # or start another chapter, in each case opening with an appropriately worded sentence to orientate the reader.

JJ has some great examples above.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
As the MC of your story faces a situation he's faced before (final exams, first dates, proms, etc.), make sure he reacts differently or takes something new from the experience, shows some kind of growth or change, and that will keep things fresh.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIght. YOu don't have to show everything. At the start of the next important scene reference time passing, like JJ Cooper said.

In Harry Potter (am reading it again, sorry) She often starts chapters by talking about the season, how cold the castle is in the November wheather, things like that. Also Harry being surprised two months had already passed since the start of term. Just reference time passing, "It had been three months since she talked to him." stuff like that.

Lusty_Goat

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have caught flak for suggesting to other writers to read a book, but I think studying one of Cormac McCarthy's books (e.g. All The Pretty Horses) might help you to see a perspective of writing in a tone of one coming of age. Just a suggestion, though.

Thomas Wolfe (not Tom Wolfe) is another one of those writers who hit the spot on the Bildungsroman

Status
Not open for further replies.