Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This forum is in the 'Get With the Genre' area and its primary purpose is to discuss prose that is, by content or market, atheist or non-theistic.

I expect there will also be discussion of the writing life as it is experienced by atheist and non-theist readers, writers and other industry professionals.

I expect related issues might be discussed, for example discussion help clarify an issue the poster intends to write into an article.

Broader discussions will naturally arise and will not be considered off topic so long as:
--they do not directly, or by implication, require atheists or non-theists to defend the rationality or virtue of their beliefs, and
--they do not bash, rant about, or morally disparage any mainstream philosophical or religious position.

These are by no means forbidden topics but I would request that you post them in other areas such as religion: other or take it outside.

The intent of these guidelines to to focus the sub-forum on issues related to writing and would appreciate if posters would try to explain the way in which their post relates in some way to writing, if possible.

If a topic is not writing related but still clearly belongs in this subforum please keep in mind that this is the atheist 'clubhouse'. So topics should be phrased in a secular way or posited politely with an understanding of secular norms and full acceptance of the validity of atheist world views.

Please feel free to discuss these guidelines which should reflect what the users of this sub-forum would like to see rather than impose some kind of arbitrary standard.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Elaboration on the bolded section above: this sub-forum should to some extent fucntion as an A&NT 'clubhouse' where discussions may be assumed to be secular in nature and the basic validity of A&NT perspective is a starting assumption. Comparison might be made on 'safe rooms' on university campuses that exclude anti-homosexual and sexist conduct of any kind and thus allow members of these groups to relax and get on with their work.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
How about a Colosseum sticky?

It seems to me that we've never really developed a proper "forum culture" here, because every time things get interesting, theists leap in and derail discussion.

How about having a Colosseum sticky, where theists are welcome to pop in for a scrap, and where we can hone our debating skills? Any derailed threads could end up there?

robingood

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhh.... rather new here.

I am thinking this might be a 'my bad,' sort of thing.

I am enjoying the community, am an aspiring writer, and i do deal with similar things in my writing.

I will keep on topic from here on in, but like some of the other members i would like a forum to discuss things.

Any suggestions?

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
We all do it! Debating is fun, and it's useful to get a chance to practice kicking holes on woo.

But it would also be useful to be able to discuss, say, Dawkins, as a communicator and writer, without people winging in to attack his ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.